General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's Your Training Plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-11 12:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
Subject: What's Your Training Plan?

I'm curious what people have for types of training plans.  I'm not asking anyone to give up paid plans or anything like that.  I looked through the free training plans and most seem to focus on some combination within most days of Swim, bike, run; for mostly 5 days a week.

I will be very unusual here but, does anyone besides me not want to train more than 3 perhaps 4 times a week, yet still be competitive?  I have been swimming once on a weekend for 2 plus miles, run a couple of times a week for 5-10 miles each, and when the weather really breaks, will bike probably once a week, pehaps dropping running to one brick, one long run.

So in essence my plan is the give my all everytime, want my cake and eat it too, max 4 times a week, place top 25% age group, rock with tunes plan.

2006-04-11 5:57 AM
in reply to: #393207

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: What's Your Training Plan?

I'm working with a tri coach for the first time this year to put together a season training plan.  Over the winter I've just been doing Z2 HR base training (getting a bit bored with that), but next week will be getting a training plan that starts to build to my first race in June and my "A"  race in October.

My coach is a Joe Friel associate, so a lot of what we do is based on The Triathlete's Trainng Bible.

I guess that I should add the disclaimer that I'm a 52-year-old age grouper who's just trying to maximize my personal performance and hopefully become a consistent MOP'er.

2006-04-11 6:24 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

If you're a naturally gifted athlete and there's a smallish field in your age group when you race, then this could work. It's all about how much are you willing to put in to get what you want out of it.

I know people that do 1 or 2 tris a year with this kind of training a few weeks out from the race. They don't place top 25% in their AG, but they have a good time.

bikingbruise - 2006-04-11 1:29 AM

I'm curious what people have for types of training plans. I'm not asking anyone to give up paid plans or anything like that. I looked through the free training plans and most seem to focus on some combination within most days of Swim, bike, run; for mostly 5 days a week.

I will be very unusual here but, does anyone besides me not want to train more than 3 perhaps 4 times a week, yet still be competitive? I have been swimming once on a weekend for 2 plus miles, run a couple of times a week for 5-10 miles each, and when the weather really breaks, will bike probably once a week, pehaps dropping running to one brick, one long run.

So in essence my plan is the give my all everytime, want my cake and eat it too, max 4 times a week, place top 25% age group, rock with tunes plan.

2006-04-11 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
I'm using the free 13 week sprint training plan from here. But, I'm finding that it's actually having me do less than I was doing when I was just winging it. So, I'm adding a bit of time to some of the bikes and runs now. That plan is for a longer swim than I'll be doing in June, so I'm slacking a bit on the swim. But, I'm definitely training 5 days a week, doing something fun on my off days (usually riding horse).

I keep feeling like I should be adding some strength training in - but I've yet to get around to it.

Mostly, for my first outdoor tri, I just want to finish and get a baseline for what I can do. I think I'll be happy not being last.
2006-04-11 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Abilene, Texas
Why do you want to train so little? Do you not enjoy it? You may be able to finish in the top 25% of your age group in a mini with a weak field but unless you have loads of natural ability you may be struggling just to finish.

If that's what you decide to do I'd suggest that you only race sprints and hammer every workout. Keep us posted.....
2006-04-11 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
I'm doing 5-6 days a week.  I don't pretend to know whether a hard 4 days or a medium 6 will get the same results, but for me, it just helps to be consistent, and makes each training session more enjoyable.

2006-04-11 9:30 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
bikingbruise - 2006-04-11 12:29 AM

So in essence my plan is the give my all everytime, want my cake and eat it too, max 4 times a week, place top 25% age group, rock with tunes plan.

Sounds like a plan with a huge potential for injury and little potential for reaching your, uh, potential.

2006-04-11 9:35 AM

User image

over a barrier
I'm the opposite. I want to train 9 days a week.

Depending on the distance of the tri it's possible. I wouldn't attempt a HIM/IM with that much training unless you're working out for hours apon hours during your workout days.
2006-04-11 11:02 AM

User image

Regular
Woodbury
I'll let others tell you you're nuts.

You want to know if you might train 4x a week and improve. I did the 2x Balanced plan last year - each discipline 2x per week. I felt I could improve well doing that at least as a beginner, and would use bricks more often than called for just to squeeze both workouts into a busy schedule.

I can't see how you could improve cycling only once a week. Does swimming once a week seem to be yielding an improvement? If so, you could swim once, bike once, run once, and brick once per week. Then you're at least biking and running twice each.

One of the things I had to accept is going hard on less workouts only goes so far. The aerobic base is built with more less-than-100% efforts. I didn't buy this at first - do now.

AG placing-wise I was in the top 25% in 2 sprints and you seem to be a faster runner. Rumor has it, Olympic fields are more competitive.

2006-04-11 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
I'm doing the run focused olympic plan from this site. But, I am in a masters club and one of their swims usually exceeds (so far) the total time of the 2 swims each week so I usually just do one swim and leave it at that. I also often have 2 days off a week just by doubling up workouts on days.
I am trying to incorporate strength training but it is a real effort as I don't enjoy it and I would much rather be outside on my bike or running.

Think it rather depends on what sort of tri you want to do doesn't it? If you are only wanting to do sprints comfortably then I would have thought once you got out on your bike you have all the distances easily covered with your current fitness

Jackie
2006-04-11 11:35 AM
in reply to: #393512

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca

Training for the Baja 70.3 in May. I am using the Markallenonline.com.   I usually train 6 days a week.  3 workouts per discipline and 2 strength days. I will admit that if there is a workout to be skipped it will usually be the strength workouts.  Have my long days on Sat. and Sun..   The plan is based on hr and time.  Large base building and just started speed workouts last week.

I think its a little expensive for just a plug in your information and a plan is generated kind of a program. However it is working for me but next time I think I will go with plan with a little more personalized touch. Such as emails from a coach or phone calls.

2006-04-11 11:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by surfwallace 2006-04-11 11:44 AM
2006-04-11 11:46 AM

Elite
Evans, GA
I train more than that and I'm not competitive! Yet!
2006-04-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: #393562

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY

My training plan is a make-up of several.  I'm using the run plan from the half marathon, the bike plan from the intermediate olympic and the swim plan from the "Couch-to-Sprint".  I generally train 5 or 6 days a week.  Generally my swims are during my lunch hour, my bike rides and runs are in the evening.  Soon I'll be doing more biking as the weather improves so it'll end up being trainer rides during the week in the morning and outdoor rides in the evenings and weekends, intermixed with the running which will scale back just a bit to fit every thing in.

I spent the winter months working on my run base and speed with a spinning class thrown in for the bike.  At this point my swim times are the same, my bike speed is a little bit slower and my run is much faster as compared to where I finished last season at.  I'm also about 5lbs lighter than I was at the end of last season.

Chris.

2006-04-11 1:51 PM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I am doing the 20 week Half IM training plan that I got from BT.  I am doing this for the enjoyment so I don't really need a coach.
2006-04-15 12:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
MN

I knew when I started this that I'm commiting heresy with my training.  I just have a hard time fitting in very many workouts.  I know most here have busy lives.  I have 3 kids, wife works, she trains almost every morning for a Marathon in June, job, bla, bla.

I am reasonalby gifted and seem to have pretty good muscle memory.  2 years ago it took me several summers to get to 8 min miles.  I did not run all winter, lost 5 pounds and started off in the spring at 8 min miles.  This year I did not run all winter and started in the 7's and have been pushing my distance.  I never really did more than 5 miles at once last year.  This week I just did my longest distance ever, 12 miles, at about 7:45 min miles.

Swimming same story.  In December I did the challenge, did I think 20 miles, did not swim until a few weeks ago.  After a few swims at 2-3 miles a session.

What i'm getting at is, can my plan, if you call it that, of going out and doing longer single event sessions, at a hard to max pace, be an effective initial strategy.  I want, after I'm confortable with the longer distances at a fast pace, work in some intervals.

2006-04-15 9:20 AM
in reply to: #397122

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Nothing says you can't go ahead and do it.  But long, hard and infrequent is a good mix for high injury potential.  And not a good mix for top 25% AG potential.  A better strategy for limited time would be higher frequency and intensity but less duration each time.  Probably not what you're hoping to hear, but you asked.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's Your Training Plan? Rss Feed