General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training makes me hungry all the time now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-30 11:49 AM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: Training makes me hungry all the time now!
Man, I did a bike ride yesterday, and after that I was hungry ALL DAY LONG. I mean, I wanted to munch every couple of hours! Luckily, we went to the grocery and got relatively healthy snacks and fruits. We bought a watermelon and I ate 3/4 of it by myself (in my defense, it was a smaller one). By 9 PM I was hungry again though and we ended up eating dinner really late.

What do others do to curb hunger while training and not sabotage all the hard work you've done?

2004-05-30 12:31 PM
in reply to: #28095

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-05-31 11:55 AM

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: Training makes me hungry all the time now!
Drink lots of water, first. Some of the "hunger" you feel could really be thirst. Also, though you should eat some carbs to replenish your glycogen stores, try eating some good protein, too. If all else fails and you feel like you've eaten enough calories already, you can still gorge on green veggies.

BTW, watermelons actually have a very high glycemic load as far as fruits go. That might have contributed to you continuing to feel hungry. Even so, 'tis the season for such indulgences. ;-)
2004-05-31 4:18 PM

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: RE: Training makes me hungry all the time now!
Boy o boy, story of my life. I think I mentioned somewhere on this forum that after my first tri I went to a steakhouse and ordered the biggest, bloodiest hunk of beef on the menu, although I'd been a vegetarian nearly 10 years at the time. It's like being pregnant: my body knows exactly what it wants and my brain is merely a conduit for acquiring said nourishment PRONTO. For example: I do not like grapefruit in my normal, rational existence, but while I was pregnant I was buying 10 lb bags, peeling grapefruit and eating them like oranges, one after the other.

Heavy training has much the same effect. I try to compensate by keeping my blood sugar at a consistent level. The more frequently I eat, the less my body freaks out and makes unreasonable demands. I also just plain eat a lot, but pretty good stuff. At work I'm notorious for bringing in a big bag of food every day. A lot of it is veggies, fruit, etc. The alternative would be gnawing on my keyboard. I'm always starving by 10 am. You've gotta keep the fuel lines open and primed!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training makes me hungry all the time now! Rss Feed