General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sodium Question. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-11 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Subject: Sodium Question.

I have noticed recently on a few occasions during my long bike or long run, a large amount of sodium residue on my jersey or shirt after my workout is complete.

Is this an indication of something I am missing with my nutitional intake plan?

Most notably, it was during my last marathon race when the weather was sub 60 degrees for the entire race.

2006-04-11 12:32 PM
in reply to: #393551

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Sodium Question.
It's from sweatting.  The salt residue is left over when the water evaporates off your skin.  I don't get salty under humid conditions- I only notice it under dryer conditions.  It's normal and you just have to make sure to replace your electrolytes by drinking a sports drink or taking endurolytes.
2006-04-11 11:53 PM
in reply to: #393551

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Sodium Question.
It's probably no big deal. As a marathoner, you should have also experienced the giant salt crustiness that can form on your face after a while. If not, you have something to look forward to.

At IMAZ I saw lots of bike shorts with what looked like lightning bolt designs on them, and I was like "wow those are some sweet lightning bolts" but later after looking at my own shorts I realized that it was just salt. So it's a pretty common thing, I think.

Look on the bright side. If you get concerned about salt intake during a workout, you have a reserve all over your clothes. So, you can just chew your jersey or something.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sodium Question. Rss Feed