General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from a pre-first season newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-16 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: Greetings from a pre-first season newbie

Hello!

As the subject says, I'm a "pre-first season" newbie. One of the flyers for the local triathlon piqued my interest and I decided to check into the sport more... and I think I'm already hooked after about 2 weeks of consideration!

A bit of background - I'm fairly overweight (70lbs over what I'd consider my ideal fit weight) and have been for awhile. I haven't run seriously since high school, so... about 7 years ago, and that was probably my most recent continuous activity aside from just walking as much as I can. Needless to say, I'm easing back into regular physical exercise with my doctor's consent and guidance.
I decided to go for the triathlon training because I've always needed some outside motivation to do regular exercise - and from what I've heard from others, tris are loads of fun.

My first race will probably be next June (2007) since I want to give myself plenty of time to drop weight, gain muscle, and do all of that whilst remaining injury-free. I plan to do the sprint version the first season, hopefully following up with a couple of more sprint events and/or dualthlons next summer.

Anyway, I'm here! This seems like a very awesome community, I'm looking forward to being a part of it!

Oh, and hope everyone is having (or had) a happy Easter!

-Kate.

2006-04-17 12:37 PM
in reply to: #397684

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Greetings from a pre-first season newbie

Hi Kate. Congratulations on your decision to tri!

Don't sell yourself short. You may be able to do a Sprint in the late summer or fall. Don't believe me? Read this. It's a race report from Ironman Arizona written by an amazing member here, dhundblad. She went from 280 lbs and totally sedentary to 165 lbs and an Ironman in one year.

Pick a late season sprint race, choose one of the beginner training plans here and check with your doctor. Maybe start with the Couch to 5k plan and then do a beginners Sprint plan. You don't have to win, just follow the training plan and finish the race. There are an awful lot of people here who've done similar things.

2006-04-17 4:23 PM
in reply to: #398191

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Thanks marmadaddy!

I'd talked with some other tri-ers and they're encouraging me to tri late this season too!
I've found a women's only sprint event about 2.5 hours away in August. That's my new goal!

And dhundblad's Ironman story is AMAZING! I sent her a PM thanking her for it. I know I can do it - and it's nice to see that others in even less-favorable beginning circumstances than mine have triumphed! (I think I'll gradually work up to the Ironman though!)

Thanks for the welcome and advice!
-Kate.
2006-04-17 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
MA
Hi Kate, and everyone! I am only a few weeks into training for my first anything let alone tri! I am doing a sprint at the end of july. I also am not at an ideal weight and related to your post. I've been cautious with the running to not put too much pressure on my knees while my muscles come back to life! I started running 4 weeks ago and just added biking and swimming a few days ago. I would love so share support, training plans, goals ect with you and anyone else in a similar position. I am already so in love with this site everyone is so supportive and motivational!
2006-04-17 7:39 PM
in reply to: #398498

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Hey trilinerror -

Would definitely love to get with another newbie to share some goals, motivation, etc.

PM me and we'll figure out how to put our heads together further!

-Kate.
2006-04-17 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Hey there and welcome to BT. I agree with Marmadaddy as well. If you feel like it look at adding a sprint lster in the year. Whatever you choose best of luck and look forward to seeing you around BT.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings from a pre-first season newbie Rss Feed