General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DeSoto t1 Wetsuit Opinions Needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-19 2:29 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: DeSoto t1 Wetsuit Opinions Needed

I am looking to purchase a new wetsuit and I've emailed a couple times with Emilio DeSoto regarding the T1 Black Pearl bibjohn with the vest option.  Seems like a solid product, but has anyone here used it, and if so, can you give me feedback? 

I am a larger guy (6', 215 pounds) and I first bought a ProMotion, which is a great product but didn't fit me right.  It pulled too hard on my neck/shoulders.  I'm thinking the DeSoto, being a 2-piece, will fix this problem...however, the DeSoto is double the price that I had paid for the ProMotion.

Any input regarding your likes/dislikes for the DeSoto is appreciated.  I wear their tri shorts and running shorts and like both of these products, so I'm hoping the wetsuit is decent as well. 

2006-04-19 3:27 PM
in reply to: #400460

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: DeSoto t1 Wetsuit Opinions Needed
I have the Black pearl.

It's my first wetsuit and so far I have only used it in the pool. It's pretty tight. The young lady at the Tri shop insisted I keep on trying smaller and smaller sizes. I am 6'4" 206 and started off in a size 7 and ended up with a 5 on top and a 6 on the bottom.

Except for the fact that I look like a giant sausage it's pretty comfortable. It also really helps me with the whole swimming thing. I tend to sink. I also find it to be really easy to get off. Takes about 10 minutes to get it on.

My swim coach gave it the once over and really liked it. He really liked the two piece design. He has an old, thick wetsuit and is actually thinking of getting the Black pearl.

Hope that helps.
2006-04-19 3:34 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

It does help, thanks.  I was worried about it being too tight when looking at the size charts, but in the emails last night, Emilio asked for my measurements, height, weight, body type and even asked me to email a picture.  I did so, and he told me he'd recommend a 6 in the top and the bottom.  He said if they don't work, send them back for an exchange or a full refund.  Seems like really good customer service when the owner himself is being so helpful.

I think I'm going to give it a shot and order it

2006-04-19 8:04 PM

New user
Michigan
De Soto has excellent customer service, and if you need to exchange it for a different size, you won't have any problems.
2006-04-19 8:49 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

I agree.  Desoto and Emilio have great customer service.  I also had reservations about sizing and he told me to email measurements.  After that, he gave me the size and I'm very happy with it.  No regrets at all. 

He's very active on the "other" board, here's a thread where he provided pictures of how to wear it properly, and he will also answer any questions you have.   There are like 57 replies to that post so you can get a good feel of whether the majority think it's good or not.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=785696;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=7257836

2006-04-19 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a Black Pearl and love it. I also have a sleavless QR...not a bad suit but personally I like the DeSoto MUCH more. It is a more flexible rubber and it is easier to get off because of the two pieces. I have the bottoms with the long sleeve top (I needed it for 56 degree SF bay last year) and it is easy to remove so I bet the vest would be real easy.

I am 6'2.5" and 195 - 200 lbs. and I have a size 6 top and bottom. They should fit tight and even though it is tight this suit is very flexible. My QR pulled on my shoulders and neck somewhat also, but not the DeSoto at all.

Plus, I completely agree with the great customer service. Couldn't be happier.

2006-04-23 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I have a DeSoto suit and you want the top as tight as you can tolerate. The Bib Johns don't make a difference if they are tight or not. I love the suit and will always use one.
2006-04-24 1:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I've had two QRs (john and full) and loved them both.

I recently bought a first wave. One of the best investments I have made. I ended up in smaller size than the chart suggested for the top and am 6'1" and just under 200# and am in #5 top and bottom.

Th issue of the neck and should pull for me has been eliminated with the T1. And I thought the QR full was pretty good. My wife and I were impressed enough that she got her own First Wave after buying a Superfill QR this winter. Not an easy decision but the T1 is a much better fitting suit for her. She really had a problem with a tight neck and lack of freedom of movement in the ladies QR. I ended up buying the vest as well to replace my QR john. The TI really is that much better for me.

The T1 is easier to get on and better yet easier to get out of than either of my QRs as well. And the TI as a full suit is warmer than the QR full.

Emilio's willingness to be involved on the boards and help you out if you sizing is off was the biggest reason I took the leap of faith after owning QR suits for a few years and being happy with them.

I had the chance to buy my T1 locally. Which gave me a perfect fit but not what was suggested on the chart. Emilio was kind enough to take my wife's measurements and size her personally.

Try that request with any other manufature! It is a no bs 100% satisfaction warrenty. You have nothing to loose trying one. And in the arena of wet suits everything to gain IMO.

As you can tell we are a happy DeSoto family

Edited by Nob 2006-04-24 1:36 AM
2006-04-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: #404496

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I've only done one training swim in the pool with my Black Pearl (2,200 yards continuous) but I absolutely loved it. I picked it because of the ease of on/off and the two piece design just appealed to me so much more.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DeSoto t1 Wetsuit Opinions Needed Rss Feed