General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-02 12:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: Cycling question

I live in an area where a lot of construction is taking place on my route to and from work. GEnerally I don't ride on the sidewalks unless there isn't a choice. However I had been through the areas where the pavement is off and the grade is uneven because I felt more control. We are a very low-pedestrian area with relatively few bikers. With the extra road hazards, drivers aren't paying as much attention to me as they should.

Well someone guilted me about riding on sidewalks last week, so today I stayed on the road through the construction zone, even though I felt it compromised my safety. Sure enough I totally biffed it (falling towards the sidewalk, thank the Lord). In our state it is not illegal to drive sidewalks, it is just suggested that you don't.

So my question is this, is it appropriate to use the sidewalk for riding when you feel that conditions are dangerous for a biker? I'd take an alternate route but there are very few of them. Tomorrow I'm going to try another one if my knee will let me ride. I banged it up nicely, along with my elbow and hand. Thank heavens for helmets! My head just bounced right off the sidewalk and I barely felt it!

2004-06-02 12:39 AM
in reply to: #28587

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: Cycling question
I would most definitely ride on the sidewalk in those conditions Tory. You probably have to ride slower, just for safety sake, on the sidewalk but the hazards on the road surface are too unsafe otherwise sounds like to me. The roads here in Spokane are notoriously bad and there are places that I have to jump on the sidewalk just to avoid huge potholes. I just slow down a bit and watch extra close for folks pulling out of their driveways. Good luck and I hope heal up ok.
2004-06-02 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
First, I am glad you are not seriously hurt
you may want to think about replacing your helmet
bike helmets are designed to save your noggin ONE TIME
Tegaderm is great stuff for road rash

Ride where you are safe.
guilt is stupid

<quote>
So my question is this, is it appropriate to use the sidewalk for riding when you feel that conditions are dangerous for a biker?
</quote>

In light of what just happened to you.....haven't you answered your own question??

We now return you to our regularly scheduled rant.......
I am not saying the below applies to you personally but,
I have been frequenting tri boards for a while,
and roadie boards for longer
I have ridden with tri-folks
Roadies
MTB'ers of all stripes
and eight-year-olds
One of the most overlooked skills for triathletes is bike handling skills.
For some reason, lots of tri-folks will spend hours and hours and hours and hours
getting faster on the bike
<hyperbole>
and
will still be no better able to handle the bike than your average eight-year-old,
it's like building a Ferarri and not putting in a steering wheel
</hyperbole>
Time spent doing skill drills like
track stands
slow-speed slalom
riding a parking lot paint stripe
small bunny hops
etc.
spend some time *playing* on your bike
learn about how the bike behaves in all sorts of situations

is not time that takes away from your
training, it's time that can keep you from hurting yourself
or someone else

you can't win if you're layed-up with a broken collar bone,
hell, you can't even ride
2004-06-02 8:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Hey, I resemble that rant! What in the world are track stands and slow speed slaloms?

Sounds like I need to be practicing them.....
2004-06-02 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
What a great philosophy! Even though I also resemble that rant... I've wiped twice on my bike (last year) so she and I have a love/hate relationship as it is... maybe I don't really know her, let alone know how to control her! We seem to be getting along a little better this year....
Please do expand more on your slalom drills... Thanks! LW

Edited by Whizzer 2004-06-02 10:26 AM
2004-06-02 10:44 AM
in reply to: #28647

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Track stand = balancing on your bike without moving forward or falling down (hard to do, but impressive)
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/mountain-bikes/section-22.htm...

leading up to the track stand.....

Slow slalom = find a parking lot or other open, flatish piece of
real estate (parking lot, school playground etc)
either place objects on the ground or use the
organic features ot the place (lines, parking barriers, pebbles, potholes)
ride a course as slowly as possible around them.
The slower, the better
Falling over or running into things is bad.
The idea is to make your bike do exactly what you want it to.
This drill teaches you how to ask your bike to do things.

2004-06-02 1:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks! I can't wait to try this out because I really do need to develop a better feel for my bike (it's fairly new).
2004-06-02 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR
I think you should practice Track stand with no people around
2004-06-02 3:48 PM
in reply to: #28613

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

ride_like_u_stole_it - 2004-06-02 5:29 AM First, I am glad you are not seriously hurt you may want to think about replacing your helmet bike helmets are designed to save your noggin ONE TIME Tegaderm is great stuff for road rash Ride where you are safe. guilt is stupid So my question is this, is it appropriate to use the sidewalk for riding when you feel that conditions are dangerous for a biker? In light of what just happened to you.....haven't you answered your own question?? We now return you to our regularly scheduled rant....... I am not saying the below applies to you personally but, I have been frequenting tri boards for a while, and roadie boards for longer I have ridden with tri-folks Roadies MTB'ers of all stripes and eight-year-olds One of the most overlooked skills for triathletes is bike handling skills. For some reason, lots of tri-folks will spend hours and hours and hours and hours getting faster on the bike and will still be no better able to handle the bike than your average eight-year-old, it's like building a Ferarri and not putting in a steering wheel Time spent doing skill drills like track stands slow-speed slalom riding a parking lot paint stripe small bunny hops etc. spend some time *playing* on your bike learn about how the bike behaves in all sorts of situations is not time that takes away from your training, it's time that can keep you from hurting yourself or someone else you can't win if you're layed-up with a broken collar bone, hell, you can't even ride

YOu know you bring up a very very good point. I have done a lot of puttering around getting a feel for my bike, practicing stops and handling, but not some of the things you mentioned. I think that might be a very very good idea. (Very very...I like that word...very...sorry.) I do tend to bike like I drive, I am very careful, cautious, and defensive. BUT, that doesn't mean some of those little drills couldn't help. 

2004-06-02 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Something else that you could do that *might* help drivers notice you better: I have a bright orange crossing-guard type vest with reflective stripes. I'm rather lucky that I can ride a lightly travelled route to work, and it's before traffic gets busy, but I've found that the vest can help some. You'll still be at the mercy of drivers not paying attention, but I've never met a cop who hasn't read the riot act to a driver that creased someone wearing a vest.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycling question Rss Feed