General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Getting Started in Georgia Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-02 8:09 AM

New user

Atlanta, GA
Subject: Getting Started in Georgia
Greetings. Feel like I'm on the edge of a wondering how to begin. I'm a runner, with a fairly decent bike, who was a high-school swimmer. I've never put the three (or even two) together. Where do I begin? What training schedule do I follow? How much time to I allow before my first event? Do I enter a full olympic-length event or something on a smaller scale?

Are there training clubs or groups here in the Atlanta, Georgia area that can assist/support folks entering the sport?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

2004-06-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: #28608

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Getting Started in Georgia

Welcome!  check out the training plans on the home page www.beginnertriathlete.com  Check out www.active.com for races.  Is there a sprint distance in August and maybe an oly in September?  Give it a try! 

And I don't know about training clubs in your area.  There are club links somewhere on this site or go to www.usatriathlon.org and check out the clubs listed there.

Start doing some bricks - like a bike followed by a run.  Good luck!

2004-06-02 9:24 AM
in reply to: #28623

New user

Atlanta, GA
Thank you, COgirl. This is a great site, there's quite a bit of info here for beginners.
2004-06-02 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
yeah...just go to the 'directory' link at the top right...their are a few georgia clubs there...what distances are u covering now consistently?
2004-06-02 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Welcome and good luck with your training. I'm also a beginner here in the Atlanta area. check out GA multisports http://www.gamultisports.com/for some local races and membership information if you are interested.

I don't train with any clubs or groups myself so I'm not too much help with references, but a couple of groups out there are http://www.tri-atlanta.org/& http://www.triathletetribe.com/;However you've already found the best support groups here at BT.

For local races also check out http://www.trifind.com/ga.html

2004-06-02 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Well HELLO Motivated! Sounds like you've got all the right ingredients to make the TRANSITION into triathlon! (See how I snuck that little piece of triathlon jargon/humor in there?) ha ha...Yeah, right, anyway.....

If you're pretty proficient in all three areas already, you can probably pick up one of the training programs posted here and get great results...they're flexible enough so you can work them around your life... I think they are in 16 and 20 week increments.

I'd suggest trying a Sprint distance first, so your training time is less, the race is quicker, and you can see if you actually like the sport or not... Once you are hooked (and it will happen, believe me....) then you can work out the time committment needed to train for something longer... Oly, 1/2 IM, whatever you decide.

Welcome!!! Look forward to hearing from you on the boards here!!!

LW 

2004-06-02 10:07 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Hello and Welcome!
2004-06-02 10:29 PM

Hey - I'm just north of ya - and signed up recently for my first tri in August - check out www.tribluesky.com - I am doing the High Falls State Park race. I went and watched the John Tanner Race in Carrollton to get the feel of it and I highly recommend you do too. You can see that it is all types of people, all types of bikes, plus the excitement from just watching will make you want to jump in with them. Feel free to email me for tri-talk!
2004-06-03 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Thanks for the great advice and support Ron, GABLUE, Whizzer, tplauche, COgirl, and Y-NOT-TRI. Ron, I run and bike 3 times a week each, running 3 miles and biking 15-20 miles. What concerns me the most is the swimming component. I used to swim competitively in high school, but that was sprinting short distances (and it was a long time ago). I'm 41 now and lack the upper body endurance to swim more than 300 meters at a time (and I thought I was in shape). I'll continue running and biking, but will try hitting the pool to build up my swimming.

I'm going to take up Whizzer's advice (thank you) and train for a tri-sprint race, which cuts the swim down to a palatable distance. I also looked into the Georgia Clubs, but have decided to try the training on my own for now. I'm highly motivated to complete a full triathlon and believe a sprint will give me a good taste for what's in store.

Geez, yesterday, I decided to update my street bike. I was shocked by the technology of the new equipment and the $$. I have a great bike (alum Canondale), but was really surprised to learn what it takes to build a triathlon bike. I got everything installed and am very pleased with the results (light Mavic wheels, light tires and tubes, etc.). Now, I suppose its time to train.
2004-06-03 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
I had one more question, and its about the transition areas. Do the race components, (swim, bike, and run) all begin and end in the same place? I mean, is the transition area the same for all three events? Is it necessary to have a friend or "staffer" there to keep track of your stuff?
2004-06-03 10:39 AM

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
hi motivated. boy, i can feel your enthusiasm as i read your post. i remember getting ready for my first tri and all the excitement. you've got a good base so far sounds like. swimming will come back in no time trust me, just get in the pool and practice. transisitions vary i suppose from race to race, but for the most part they all take place in an enclosed area where your bike is racked and all your gear is arranged for each leg of the race. it is a wise thing to practice the "fourth leg" of the race, the transition, before the race. when you choose a race find out how they are set up ahead of time. good luck, you'll do great!

2004-06-03 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
Pensacola, Florida
also, there are some articles about transitions here on bt.
2004-06-04 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Okay, I have selected an event. Its July 18th, a sprint Triathlon with a 440 Yard Swim, 12mi Bike, and 3.4mi run. I can do all these things individually now, I've just never put them together before. That gives me 6 weeks to train. Is this reasonable? What times should I be shooting for in each leg of the race? What are the averages terms of the rates (e.g. swimming 100 meters/minute, biking miles/hr, and running minutes/mile) that people keep in these events?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

2004-06-04 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
Hi
This is a great place to learn and stay motivated

-joe
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Getting Started in Georgia Rss Feed