General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-02 4:29 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Mental Training
I was just wondering if any of you do mental training. My husband used it a lot for rowing, and now as a coach he has his athletes train mentally at least one day a week. I am wondering if anyone here has tried it out, or has any tips on getting started.
Yeah I know you're thinking "why doesn't she ask her hubby" well he has vowed never to give me tips, b/c he says I get mad at him - which I don't, I get mad only when he tells me i can't do things, or he gives me tips I don't want, and didn't ask for

So how bout you? Any Mental Athletes out there?

2004-06-02 10:27 PM
in reply to: #28742

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Mental Training
Yes, I do some. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to convert it to positive swim effort yet, but I do quite a bit of mental prep for running and lifting, and biking to a lesser extent. How do I do it? I close my eyes, and 'feel' the movements I should be doing (whether biking, running or lifting, it works the same for all of them), and picture what I want to accomplish (-20 seconds on a split, 5 extra lbs on a lift, etc.) I then mentally 'do' what I want to do, and how I want to do it. This works great for me, especially for skiing. I need to start doing this for my swimming, but I'm still at the stage that once I hit the water, I think of too many other things (chin down, roll from the waist, etc.)

If I'm running and I'm feeling like I'm slowing down, or can't breathe properly, I mentally sing Army cadences to get my rhythm back. Fortunately, I still remember some of the better ones from Ft. Bragg!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mental Training Rss Feed