General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new to tri not sure what to train for Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-24 8:26 PM

New user

Subject: new to tri not sure what to train for
Hey everyone. I am going to sign up for my first tri and I am having a hard time determining what level race to do and when to do it. I have been doing endurance sports for a few years. Most recently I was training (for the last year and 1/2) to do a 10 day 400 plus mile adventure race. I was doing 2-3 hours of training each week day and 4-6 hours each weekend day (approximately 20-25 hours per week). But about a month ago I went over the handlebars of my mountain bike and landed on my knee. I tore my ACL and need surgery. I will probably have surgery in the next month. Right now I am only allowed to ride the exercise bike (no mountain biking at all, but maybe road biking if it is a very flat course), aqua jog and swim. I cut down my training to closer to 10 hours a week until the surgery. I am not a very good swimmer. I had not been in a pool since I was six until last summer. I found out for my adventure race I had to be able to swim a mile and pass a swim test. So I started taking lessons and swimming 1-2 days a week. I am very slow but have signed up for another swim class. Based on my current fitness I would probably try to train for a 1/2 ironman or a full ironman for the end of the year. But I know that is not realistic due to the fact that I have to have surgery on my knee and will be out for at least a few weeks. Plus I have no idea how that will affect my overall fitness level. I just signed up for a sprint race at the end of August. I really need a goal as I am very depressed about missing my adventure race. And I need something to keep me focused on my rehabilitation. But I have no idea if that is realistic at all. I know everyone heals at different rates, but does anyone have any experience coming back from this type of surgery. I am think I can do the swim and the bike, but even a three mile run might be too much three months after surgery. Also even if I can do the race, I am rather concerned about cutoff times. I have never had to deal with cutoffs before. Some sprints don't give the cutoff times. Don't know if this means there are not any or they are standardized and I should know without being told. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2006-04-24 9:30 PM
in reply to: #405385

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: new to tri not sure what to train for
Welcome to BT.

If you are looking for something to give you training goals, any race can fit the bill, just set some appropriate goals. (No, you shouldn't have any trouble finishing a sprint tri...)

With your background, you'll probably be able to finish any tri within the cutoffs. Don't let fear of an arbitrary cutoff scare you away from a race.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new to tri not sure what to train for Rss Feed