General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just completed Couch to 5K Aggressive Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-25 7:58 AM

User image

Eynon, PA
Subject: Just completed Couch to 5K Aggressive
I've just completed the "Couch to 5k Aggressive" program. Feels great. Couldn't make a few hundred yard run when I started, and I thought I was in pretty good shape (lifting weights for few years, not overweight, ate well). I'm now able to complete the 5k in 24 minutes without much strain. Still weight training two times per week, but have lost some muscle mass due to all the running/biking. I'm not happy about losing the muscle mass, but I guess it's the price you pay, and I feel healthier. Biking is going well. Almost feel like I'm cheating on the bike (compared to effort/distance with the run).

Biggest undertaking began last night; the swim. Didn't do too bad - finished required time without feeling like I needed an ambulance. After experiencing the progression during the run phase, I'm confident that if I just stick to the program, I'll be able to finish the required swim distance. I'm reading the TI freestyle book. My goal right now is to become a more relaxed/efficient swimmer.

Family and friends are excited. Although I've tried to get some of them to join me, they just won't bite. Four more months until my first tri. Can't wait!!!

2006-04-25 8:27 AM
in reply to: #405650

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Just completed Couch to 5K Aggressive

That is awesome!  Getting up to 5k comfortably is a big breakthrough as far as running.  And your right, like sticking with swimming will payoff big in a few months too.  The best thing to do to quickly improve swimming is by getting to the pool at least 3x per week to develop the feel.  The distance will come later.

Good luck!

2006-04-25 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Welcome to BT and congratulations on your run training. I have been running for about 5 months and you are ahead of me...maybe I should check out the Couch to 5k training!

As far as swimming goes just get as much pool time as you can. I was told (by a veteran) to get in the pool 3-4 times a week and just swim. It gets easier and you should definitely see improvements before your tri. Best of luck!
2006-04-27 8:10 AM
in reply to: #405688

User image

Eynon, PA
Thanks for your reply and encouragement.
2006-04-28 4:56 PM

New user

Pleasant Hill
I am glad to hear the couch to 5k aggressive works! I am in week one! I have never been a runner so that is where I started. The swim will not be a challenge for me since I have swam my entire life. The biking will be a normal challenge but hopefully not overly so.

Once I finish the couch to 5k, it is on to one of the official triathlon training plans. I would really like to compete this year.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Just completed Couch to 5K Aggressive Rss Feed