General Discussion Triathlon Talk » perspire/sweat a lot during run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-03 5:28 AM

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: perspire/sweat a lot during run
I tend to perspire or sweat a lot when I run.No matter whether it's a short or long run I tend to sweat more than other runners. After a run, my whole body would be drenched in sweat like just after having a shower while other runners can still look fresh and dry. I always wear a running singlet when running instead of a T-shirt because of this.Is this a good or bad thing?

2004-06-03 8:32 AM
in reply to: #28813

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: RE: perspire/sweat a lot during run
Steven,

I am a heavy sweater as well and my body tends to overheat so I shower my head w/ water which allows me to cool down, but also leaves me soaked. I wear a tight fitting singlet whenever I run and this seems to work best for me. I am sure you know that you should never wear cotton.

John
2004-06-03 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
I'm one of those runners who is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, i usually have pretty minimal amounts of sweat. I think that its just something that differes from one person to the next. The only problem that i could see is that perhaps you'd become dehydrated faster than others, but as long as your maintaining your water intake, i dont see anything wrong with this (other than maybe some cosmetic embarassment from time to time )

As long as there arent any clear problems that you can see, i wouldnt worry about it.

(On my HS cross country team, about 10 of us would all go out for a long run, same distance, same pace, reletively same effort. Some came back dry, some came back soaked, some were inbetween.....) Just try not to wear gray t-shirts... hahah they tend to make the 'problem' a little easier to spot and can make funny imprints on your shirt
2004-06-03 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I have completely eradicated cotton from my workout regiment. In the past few weeks, it has really started to get hot in south Texas, and I would come back from a run with my cotton briefs and soccer-style shorts completely drenched. My solution: run shirtless. I bought some Nike running shorts with liners, and they are terrific. They get a little wet, but most of the sweat stays away from my body, and seems to drip off the shorts. A few other facets of my solution: 1) SmartWool RBX Ultra-Cushion socks. 2) Visors instead of ball-caps during the run.

I also went for a 2 hr 20 min bike ride this weekend and used every bit of fluid in two large water bottles on my bike. Following the ride, I slammed a 32 oz Gatorade. I am going to really have to pay attention to my hydration during long workouts and also my Olympic and Half-Ironman races. Still a puzzle I have yet to solve.

Edited by Tiger Phil 2004-06-03 9:39 AM
2004-06-03 9:54 AM
in reply to: #28831

Veteran
Singapore
I perspire a lot which is why I keep myself well hydrated and always run with a water bottle holder on my waist and top it up during the long runs.No I never had problems with overheating. It's just that I don't look good after the run and it can be a bit embarassing.
2004-06-03 10:26 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I sweat a lot too and turn bright red in the face. I don't think sweating a lot is bad, per se, as long as you stay hydrated. I'd think it would be a bigger problem if you didn't sweat since your body wouldn't be cooling itself as may be necessary. As others suggested, be sure to wear wicking fabrics to keep you as cool as possible and drink proper sports drinks. Other than that, drip away!

2004-06-03 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
as a female i had to get past this big time- i don't sweat a lot in normal life but run & bike- drenched and red in the face- even with a relatively easy workout. tends to make me avoid public promenades........I do pay attention to hydration tho-...
2004-06-03 1:27 PM

Veteran
MO
I sweat buckets, too. When I get home from a run, I have to actually wring my clothes out over the sink before I put them in the hamper, they're that wet. And these are all polyester or CoolMax type fabrics -- I shudder to think what would happen if I wore cotton.

One additional thing you might want to keep in mind is that when you sweat, you're losing salt in addition to losing water. For people who sweat very little this is usually not an issue, but when you sweat a lot you might want to consider supplementing your diet with a little extra sodium. Some sports drinks contain sodium, and others (Gatorade, for example) have almost none. What I usually do is either add some salt to my sports drink, or eat a bowl of canned soup (I like Campbell's vegetarian vegetable -- a serving of veggies AND lots of salt! ) before I run. I figured this out when I started doing runs over 10 miles -- I would come home craving things like pretzels and potato chips and pickles, but eating them didn't really satisfy the craving. Eventually I realized it was the SALT I wanted, not the food, so now I just dump it in my Gatorade.
2004-06-03 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
You can also use salt tablets, which is what I take .....i sweat buckets and have never really cared about how I looked ...people see me and ask me what i was doing and assume i had a really strenuos workout b/c i am dreched ....i have to wring my clothes out as well and let them dry before putting them in the hamper ....and i keep a separate hamper just for workout gear
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » perspire/sweat a lot during run Rss Feed