General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB Baby Jogger-- Advice Requested Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED
2006-04-26 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Subject: WTB Baby Jogger-- Advice Requested

Hello Tri-moms & (dads too i guess!) ... this one's for you....

I'm a new mommie (well.. as of 9 mos ago)... looking to purchase a baby jogger right away so I can faithfully resume my morning run routine outdoors instead of inside the gym since the weather is now nice.  It has been a bit tough trying to find REAL user reviews on babyjoggers via the web.  I just want something reliable, rugged, under $300, comfortable for the baby, with good sun coverage etc.  I plan to use it mainly on the street or sidewalk... but some trail runs will be incorporated.  Also... trying to figure out why most I've seen have the fixed front wheel... isn't it cumbersome ? ... what happens on curves and turns? Also...I'm tall.. 5'10... want to be sure it will be tall enough for me to use. thanks in advance for any info or links to good review sites. and heck.. if there are any other single/mom/tri-moms out there... please share some advice on how you juggle training with a bebe!

2006-04-27 8:34 AM
in reply to: #407500

User image

Wausau, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: WTB Baby Jogger-- Advice Requested
Sent you a PM. Here is a link that will help you too.

http://www.joggingstroller.com/aa/Jogging/index.cat
2006-04-27 8:54 AM

User image

Wausau, Wisconsin
Decided to waste some time at work and look for you.

http://www.joggingstroller.com/Tike-Tech-ATX-All-Terrain-16-2006-XT...

Seems to have everything you mentioned... Adjustable reclining seat, under $300, decent sun canopy, works well on trails and road, adjustable handle height since you're taller, etc. Plus it's in stock and ships for free. It does have the fixed front wheel, but I've seen the swivel wheel strollers wobble if you try to jog with them. Most swivel wheel strollers allow you to lock the wheel in place for jogging, but are mainly meant for walking. There are a couple of reviews at the link above as well. But please remember to do your research. You may be able to find the same stroller from a different site for less money, but check that it's in stock and the shipping cost. Good luck.
2006-04-27 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh

thanks jay jay!

it is now in my top three list.

2006-04-27 12:41 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

As a father of (now) 3, I'll say this.  If you plan on having more kids you will want to upgrade over the years.  Are you going to want a bike trailer?  Trailer or stroller for 1 or 2 kids?  Combo bike/run stroller?  This can go on and on.  Most people want shiny new stuff in the beginning.  So you'll buy this stroller.  If you have another kid in a year or two, you'll sell this one in a garage sale and buy a two kid one or even if not, you might want the bike/jog combo one.  My suggestion is to be the person buying it at the garage sale.  This is the perfect time of year (in my area) to start scanning the neighborhoods/newspapers for deals.  Hey, if you've got the cash and you don't care, go for it and congratulations.  Otherwise save some money because I think in a season or two you might want to upgrade.

2006-04-27 1:21 PM
in reply to: #408206

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I have to agree with hangloose. These things take up a lot of room in the garage and you really want to minimize the number of upgrades. A two seater can be useful even with one child just for the cargo space.

You can go for longer rides/runs if you can pack a couple extra toys or snacks. It's also nice to have room for an extra blanket.

We have a one seater jogging stroller and a 2 seater bike/jog combination.

2006-04-27 3:17 PM

User image

Wausau, Wisconsin
Getting one at a garage sale is a possibility too. You never really know what you're getting though. We actually have 3 strollers and a bike/jog now. The bike/jog was a hand-me-down and someone from our church gave us a 2-seater with one in front of the other. We got a travel system stroller as a shower gift when we had our first child. But we needed something that I can jog with and bring both kids along. Seemed like ifocus wanted something new and in a hurry and didn't want to shop around at garage sales. They are correct in that you should also plan for the future.
2006-04-28 12:30 PM
in reply to: #408255

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
marmadaddy - 2006-04-27 1:21 PM

I have to agree with hangloose. 

I'm going to steal a trick from Jim and make this a sig line - thanks mike!  (although you make it sound like I've got a gun to your head...)

2006-04-29 6:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario

I have the cougar XLT, by Chariot and it is awesome.  May price out a little over the 300$ mark, but it has a bike attachment, and interchangeable stroller wheels, so really fits three tasks, for the money.  Solid construction, and real comfortable for Jack...every time I open the garage door, he goes right for it, and climbs right in, ready for more...

check it out here

http://www.chariotcarriers.com/html_english/images_carriers.htm

d

2006-05-01 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Hi!
I have a babytrend single jogging stroller and I really like it! It has a detachable tray for the baby...which is nice b/c if your baby starts getting a little fussy you can give him/her some finger foods.
I know what you mean about the fixed front wheel. It was a little challenging at first trying to figure out how to turn it, but the way the stroller is made all you have to do is push down slightly on the handlebar and the front tire lifts up a little bit and then you can rotate!
Another thing is that it has an adjustable seat back for the baby...i.e. you can tilt him/her back or have him/her sit upright. When my baby was younger, he liked to be more back. But now that he's 10mo. old, he loves to be more upright. Have you been to www.craigslist.com ?? On that site, you pick a city and there's tons of things for sale from other people in the city. I always check the Denver listing under "baby+kids" and have found some great deals!

For your other question about training with a baby...it's tough. I've been trying to get up at 5AM to workout before my baby gets up and my husband has to go to work. But...it's been rough. My baby has been sick for a week and is not sleeping well through the night..which means I'm up through the night..which means, getting up at 5AM when I can catch a little more sleep is challenging!!! Also, I've tried to bring him to the gym at their daycare while I work out, but he has major seperation anxiety AND I think that's where he's been getting sick. So, I have yet to figure it all out. All I know is it's hard, but somehow I'm managing, and I'm sure you will too. Good luck!!

Aimee
2006-05-10 3:45 PM

User image

Regular
Spring Hill, FL
My wife and I have two boys, ages 1 and 2, however the schwinn jogger is the bomb. We get compliments everywhere we go. It is so easy to control even when pakced with kids and baby bag. You can literally control it with two fingers. It folds down flat enough, where it fits in my 1990 Corolla's trunk, nice, eh. My wife usually has it however in the more roomy SUV. It is simply awesome!

2006-05-12 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Subject: mission accomplished!

Ok... just to report in I finally got a jogger Woohoo! 

I went with a BOB Sport Util Stroller from REI. They were having a great sale this week.. I stopped in, checked it out, and it worked out perfectly for what I was looking for... with the sale discount I got a better price than I saw anywhere online or locally... including ebay and last yr's models of a similar type. I'm stoked about it and so is mr. baby.   

Thanks for all the advice and info everyone!  Will break it in officially tmw!

2006-05-23 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
WELL, I WASN'T DOING ALL THREE EVENTS WHEN I HAD MY SON BUT I DID RUN WITH MY JOGGING STROLLER ALOT. 3 TIMES A WEEK...................I WASN'T REALLY DOING A LOT OF RACING JUST TRYING TO GET BACK IN SHAPE AND I DID. IT TOOK A LITTLE WHILE..........ALSO MY HUSBAND WOULD WATCH OR CHILD AND I WOULD DO A TRAIL RUN ON THE WEEK-ENDS........................CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BABY AND IT WAS WONDERFUL BEING ABLE TO TAKE THE BABY OUT FOR A RUN.......................MY BABY IS GETTING BIGGER.....................HOPE TO GET HIM INTO RUNNING WHEN HE IS OLDER, SWIMMING, HE IS ON A TRAINER BIKE NOW......................
Sell Gear
CLOSED
General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB Baby Jogger-- Advice Requested Rss Feed