General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill climbing training for short distance races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-12 4:24 AM

User image

Subject: Hill climbing training for short distance races

It's off-season now, and most of my bike rides (3-4 hours) are on hilly courses, from 600-1100 meters. I feel very comfortable climbing, but I often wonder how effective it is for race day performance.  All the races I take part in are flat, short (sprint or olympic) courses.

Would I be better off riding more flat roads, at higher speeds, more similar to actual races, or will the gains made by climbing  help me get better results come race day?

Yossi

2011-11-12 4:48 AM
in reply to: #3899262

User image

Subject: RE: Hill climbing training for short distance races
Hills are God's intervals. Just like Sufferfest, CTS, Spinervals, etc.

There's a place for long, steady state just as there's a place for short, intense bursts within a longer workout.

2011-11-12 7:39 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Both would be the best... shorter hills, ridden at higher power output, will help you build strength, but you also need to be able to hold a steady power output for longer time periods, hence the need for longer intervals as well (i.e. flat roads)
2011-11-12 9:50 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

The most important thing is to do whatever will build your sustainable power (watts) on the bike. This involves developing the fitness to put out high power over the length of your race, and developing the skill/judgment to do that on the type of course that you'll be riding -- many people find it harder to push high power on the flats than on climbs. Another important thing for flatter races is to learn how to translate your watts into as much speed as possible, i.e., riding hard in a good aero position. Two riders with the same power output and weight can perform quite differently if one can ride more aero than the other. Hills do not prepare you for that aspect of racing.

The best thing that you could do for your fitness for sprint-length races would be to include a healthy mix of longer and shorter interval workouts in your winter plan. Shorter intervals might include efforts of 2-5 minutes (total interval duration of 10-20 minutes), and longer intervals might include efforts of 10-30 minutes (total duration of 40-120 minutes). These are no picnic, but they will help you a lot, relative to just going out and riding. Biking is not like running where you'll likely come out ahead simply by running a lot. If your hills already give you intervals like this, then you're good. If not, then you might want to adjust. 

2011-11-12 11:10 AM

Master

The hills are good. They'll make you stronger and you'll also run faster at the tail end of the bike.

Having done a similar thing in previous years though, with regular 4+ hr mega hill fest rides in the mountains, then racing sprints/olys, I will recommend that you remember to still do targeted short sprint interval workouts where you really push your speed up. The only drawback I experienced from those long hillfest rides is that you simply can't push at sprint/oly pace for most of the ride - even if you just focus on the hills, it's usually too long to sustain. As a result, I was a bit disappointed in my bike times in a sprint - they weren't much faster than my distance riding speed (even though I felt remarkably good at the end and PR'd the run with a 40min 10k on a hilly course.) You may want to transition in the 2-3 weeks before race day to less of those long rides and more higher intensity sprints to get your body ready to go very fast on race day.

On an incidental note as well - I'm finding that doing targeted workouts on a trainer to power (speed as surrogate for now for me) works as well as doing hill climbs. I don't think you NEED to ride hills to get strong enough to ride them well, as long as you're hitting the appropriate power targets on your flat or trainer rides. 

2011-11-12 11:11 AM

Master

The hills are good. They'll make you stronger and you'll also run faster at the tail end of the bike.

Having done a similar thing in previous years though, with regular 4+ hr mega hill fest rides in the mountains, then racing sprints/olys, I will recommend that you remember to still do targeted short sprint interval workouts where you really push your speed up. The only drawback I experienced from those long hillfest rides is that you simply can't push at sprint/oly pace for most of the ride - even if you just focus on the hills, it's usually too long to sustain. As a result, I was a bit disappointed in my bike times in a sprint - they weren't much faster than my distance riding speed (even though I felt remarkably good at the end and PR'd the run with a 40min 10k on a hilly course.) You may want to transition in the 2-3 weeks before race day to less of those long rides and more higher intensity sprints to get your body ready to go very fast on race day.

On an incidental note as well - I'm finding that doing targeted workouts on a trainer to power (speed as surrogate for now for me) works as well as doing hill climbs. I don't think you NEED to ride hills to get strong enough to ride them well, as long as you're hitting the appropriate power targets on your flat or trainer rides. 

2011-11-12 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3899483

User image

Master
University Park, MD
agarose2000 - 2011-11-12 12:10 PM

This is very true. I almost never ride up a hill of any sort in training, as I do just about all of my riding on the trainer (faster, simpler, more controlled, time flexible), and yet hills are my strength in races. Well, the uphill parts, that is.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hill climbing training for short distance races Rss Feed