General Discussion Race Reports! » 2011 O'Donnells Run, Ride and Drink Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2011 O'Donnells Run, Ride and Drink - Biathlon (run/bike)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Southern Pines, North Carolina
United States
O'Donnells Pub
59F / 15C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

2 x cups of coffee
1 x power bar
1 x 5HED
Event warmup:

Trotted up and down the trans area behind the starting line few times.
Run
  • 26m 50s
  • 2.74 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Started Run: 10:18:37
Finished Run: 10:34:27

I really pushed the run even though I wanted to slow down. My run time shows that I actually pushed much harder that I thought. I wouldn't stop because I wanted to perform well for my Grandfather who passed away three days prior.

I set a PB on this run. I was out of breath at the end and maintained that shortness for the duration of the bike as well....
What would you do differently?:

Slow down!!! Actually, I was sick with congestion as well and I think my breathing would have been fine had I not been sick already.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Transition was pretty good with the exception of the child cart that was parked on top of my shoes when I arrived at T1. I purposely arrived one hour early, parked in the same spot that I have for the past two years, and took the end position, as I have the past two years.

My time would have been around 1:30 had I not had to crawl under the bike rack and then dislodge my shoes from the child cart!

Things happen. I could have banded the shoes to the bike. I could have run the bike harder to the start point or done a flying mount. Overall, for a social event, the time was pretty good.
Bike
  • 38m 46s
  • 10.84 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I was out of breath following the run and never recovered during the ride because I continued to push myself so hard because it was such a short course. Luckily I avoided the heat attack! Picked up quite a few positions on the bike by passing perhaps 20 people. Still about 5 minutes behind the lead because I began the run in the very back and had to weave through.

Slow the run a bit. Breathing was very good and I attempted to control it several times to no avail.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode the bike for about 5 minutes down past T1, then back up the hill. Loaded the bike in the truck and walked around a bit stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Breathing after pushing so hard on the run.

Event comments:

For a social event followed by a chili cookoff, this was superb,again! I've done this three years in a row and will return next year if at all possible! Very good time and enjoyed the company of fellow participants. Would recommend this to anyone just starting out, or as a cool down to the year.

Last updated: 2011-09-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:50 | 02.74 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I'm still confussed about the timing. My overall time was 56.9. My cyclemeter GPS said the ride was done in 38m 46s for 10.84 miles @ 17.10 Mi. When I subtract the two minutes for Trans time, the GPS calculated 1:04, then my trans becomes 2:04 and the ride is dropped down to 38.46. When I subtract that from my overall time, including the trans time, my run time is: 16.50 for 2.74 miles @ 6m 14s mi (PB)!!
Course: Easy, with minor hills, shady rural streets.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:38:46 | 10.84 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Out to mile 5 was awesome, hitting speeds of 31+ mph! As soon as the turn around was complete, the headwind slammed me down to 12-13 mph and didn't let up until around mile 8 or 9.
Wind: Headwind
Course: 10:36:31 - 11:14:15 (38m 46s) Course was very easy with only one hill to deal with. Downhill going out and uphill climb on the way back. Well marked with people directing traffic and direction.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-14 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Subject: 2011 O'Donnells Run, Ride and Drink

2011-11-15 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3901245

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: 2011 O'Donnells Run, Ride and Drink

Awesome race!  Wicked fast run!!!  Well done!

Sorry to hear about the passing of your Grandfather.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2011 O'Donnells Run, Ride and Drink Rss Feed