General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleep - night owl Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-16 12:58 AM

Subject: Sleep - night owl

Hi,

I am in the beginning (3rd week) of my training program. During this first phase, I look to get back in shape while running 5 times a week and swimming 4 times a week, gradually increasing mileage and laps over half a year.

I just do the training, no matter what time is it. I'm more a night owl than an early bird. I might change it later on because in the next phases, training will have to be more structured.

Right now, I sleep about 8 hours every night and I have no problem sleeping. In fact, I would even sleep a little more.

Usually, I sleep between 2:30 AM and 10:30 AM.

Would I need less sleep if I was to go to bed a little earlier?

Any night owls training here. The norm seems to be to wake up very early to train, which I never did.

2011-11-16 1:44 AM
in reply to: #3903741

User image

Subject: RE: Sleep - night owl

If those hours work for you go for it.

2:00-10:00 is about where I am.

You need the sleep you need. If it happens at one time of day or another shouldn't matter.

Being able to go to bed "late" and get up "late" is very subjective and depends on jobs, family, etc. If there is no compromise to suit one of those, then suit yourself.

Most races tend to require one to get up early though...

2011-11-16 2:37 AM
in reply to: #3903741

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Sleep - night owl

I'm in a little bit of a different boat. I work overnights so when I get to my workouts its 8 am. So in some regards I work out early, but its actually late for me and it seems to work. When I workout at 8am after being off the previous night I just don't seem to have all the energy that I usually do when I've been up all night. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it works out for you, great. Stick with it. Just my two cents here.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleep - night owl Rss Feed