Love him!95 Votes - [62.5%]
Hate him!31 Votes - [20.39%]
What's a Tebow?26 Votes - [17.11%]

2011-11-18 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3906878

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Tebow!

I like Tebow because he plays a different but also winning style of football than the conventional pro dropback quarterback.   There is more than one way to win a football game. 

I would be concerned that his head-down running style makes him really vulnerable to concussions at the pro level.  Those safeties are so fast and big and hit so hard.  Tebow is tough but eventually he gets really nailed.  What is the over/under to Tebow's first concussion?

TW

2011-11-18 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3906996

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3907049

Pro
Hailey, ID
FoggyGoggles - 2011-11-18 8:10 AM

I like players who love the game and are good for the league. I would rank him with Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith in that regard... (not close to their talent however.) In a league of prima donnas it is nice to see someone who is humble and puts everything they have into the game.

I agree!
2011-11-18 9:12 AM

Pro
Parker, CO
as a Bronco fan that at first thought picking up Tebow was a wasted draft pick...I grown to really like him.  Not just as a player but as a person.  I really cannot understand why some people do not like him.  He's a very positive role model for sports.  Much better that then a QB assaulting women or a thug getting away with killing someone.  And he does make the game very exciting to watch.  The Broncos are 4-1 with him starting this season beating 2-division rivals on their home turf!  What's not to like?
2011-11-18 9:37 AM

Master
Fulton, MD

I'm a Gator, 'nuff said.

I'm wearing a Tebow shirt right now...

2011-11-18 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3907034

Extreme Veteran
Miami

scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 10:04 AM
bradword - 2011-11-18 8:57 AM Pitt, I forgot, winning half of your games makes you a powerhouse now I don't hate Tebow at all, just think he won't be a long term QB unless something changes. So far he's beat one team over .500 at this point. He's also squeaked by the Dolphins and crushed by the Lions where he went 18/39 with an INT. He needs work. Edit: Fixed dolphins comment

He's 4 - 1. Besides Aaron Rodgers, name one QB with a better record this year. And five games is getting to be a pretty sizeable sample, considering most teams have only played nine games. He only gets to play the schedule the league lays out for him.

I hardly think that 5 games is a sizeable example.  You do realize there are have been more one hit wonders in the NFL than QBs ( Derek Anderson, Rick Mirer Elvis Grback to name a few) that have been succesful playing like Tebow does.

2011-11-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3907107

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Cuetoy - 2011-11-18 9:43 AM

scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 10:04 AM
bradword - 2011-11-18 8:57 AM Pitt, I forgot, winning half of your games makes you a powerhouse now I don't hate Tebow at all, just think he won't be a long term QB unless something changes. So far he's beat one team over .500 at this point. He's also squeaked by the Dolphins and crushed by the Lions where he went 18/39 with an INT. He needs work. Edit: Fixed dolphins comment

He's 4 - 1. Besides Aaron Rodgers, name one QB with a better record this year. And five games is getting to be a pretty sizeable sample, considering most teams have only played nine games. He only gets to play the schedule the league lays out for him.

I hardly think that 5 games is a sizeable example.  You do realize there are have been more one hit wonders in the NFL than QBs ( Derek Anderson, Rick Mirer Elvis Grback to name a few) that have been succesful playing like Tebow does.

Oh, I agree. I don't think this start by any means guarantees his long-term success in the NFL. In fact, if I was John Elway, I'm making darn sure I have a good back-up plan going forward. I'm just saying that this can no longer be overlooked as just a fluky fill-in type deal. For this year at least, teams better prepare for what Tebow brings to the table or, they'll get TebOWNED just like the Jets.

That said, I love what Tebow stands for and I'm definitely a fan. He brings excitement to the game, if it can be truly agonizing to watch at times.

BTW, not sure I'd include Elvis Grbac in that list of "one-hit wonders". He played eight seasons in the NFL, was a Pro Bowler in 2000, was a career 60% passer, and I believe he made the playoffs with two different teams. That's a pretty successful NFL career.

Edited by scoobysdad 2011-11-18 10:12 AM
2011-11-18 10:58 AM

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

My only question is why would you send an 8 man blitz on a third down? He hadnt shown the ability to consistently beat you with his throws and a blitz like that is one missed tackle away from a long run. I couldnt believe the play call.

That said, saying that Tebow is 5-1 because of how well he played is is like saying the Ravens won the Super Bowl because of Trent Dilfer. The team has managed to ugly up some games and Tebow has made some plays in the clutch, but I think you have to say that the Broncos have won some of those games in spite of his play rather than because of it.

2011-11-18 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3907259

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
uclamatt2007 - 2011-11-18 10:58 AM

My only question is why would you send an 8 man blitz on a third down? He hadnt shown the ability to consistently beat you with his throws and a blitz like that is one missed tackle away from a long run. I couldnt believe the play call.

That said, saying that Tebow is 5-1 because of how well he played is is like saying the Ravens won the Super Bowl because of Trent Dilfer. The team has managed to ugly up some games and Tebow has made some plays in the clutch, but I think you have to say that the Broncos have won some of those games in spite of his play rather than because of it.

Really? Compare the Broncos' record before and after the change at the QB position. Nothing else changed, just the record.

2011-11-18 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3907325

Pro
Parker, CO
scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 10:46 AM

Really? Compare the Broncos' record before and after the change at the QB position. Nothing else changed, just the record.

actually, the line-up did change.  The Broncos traded their most productive receiver, Brandon Loyd. Also, look at the San Diego game where the almost got Tebowed in the final minutes.

2011-11-18 12:05 PM

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 9:46 AM

As a 49er fan, we have played this game before. Shaun Hill ran off a bunch of wins despite not playing all that well and a large number of fans jumped on the band wagon. Look how well that turned out for us.

I see some similarities in that 49er team and this Bronco team. they both under acheived early in the season and slightly over acheived as the season went on. Strong defensive play kept them in some games and allowed the new QB to make some plays.

I'm not saying that Tebow hasnt done some things well. But I'm also not going to say that a QB who completes 2 passes in a game is the reason their season has turned around. I give Fox credit for beign flexible enough to create an offense that works rather than trying to force a square peg through a round hole but I see more Shaun Hill in the future than John Elway.

2011-11-18 12:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Miami
scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 12:46 PM

Same thing with the Ravens in 2000.  They had lost 3 games in a row and were 5 and 4.  After Dilfer took over they didnt loose another came and continued to win the Superbowl, yet you dont see anyone saying that the Ravens won because of Dilfer.  I feel confident in betting that by the time the season is over the honeymoon will be over and that he won't start another game again in his carreer unless something freaky happens.

2011-11-18 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3906996

wgraves7582 - 2011-11-18 3:50 AM
Cuetoy - 2011-11-18 9:39 AM

I will start by saying that for many reasons I can’t stand the guy, one of them being that he played for the Gators and that team makes me gag.  Football wise, he can’t play quarterback, at least in the long run.  A 45% completion rate will eventually catch up to him, plus at some point he will need to look up and try to find an open receiver. 

Yeah he is winning now, but if he continues doing it teams will start preparing their game plans for his style and once that happens it will be over for him.  What he is doing now is very similar to what the dolphins did back in 2009 with the wildcat formation, it took teams by surprise and they were successful formation that season, once teams started preparing for that it was another story, check to see how successful they were with that formation in 2010, and now they don’t even try it.

I don't remember it being successful for a season - they beat the Pats with it and everyone went gaga over it.  Rex Ryan has had 4 weeks of game film to prepare for him and still let him go 95 yards for a game winning TD with less than 5 minutes to play in the game.

Rex Ryan may have had 4 weeks of game film...but I'll bet you he only spent 3 days (Monday thru Wednesday) looking over it trying to prepare for Tebow.  The Jets just came off a home game against New England which was to decide who would have control over the division.  I seriously doubt that Ryan was too worried about Denver and Tebow until Monday of this week.  Factor in that they had the Sunday night game, then had to travel from New York to Denver, and that's pretty much as little prep time as you can get.

That being said...the Jets defense still shut down Tebow.  As did Kansas City, as did Miami.  Tebow's offense managed to score 17 points against KC, 10 points against the Jets, 18 points (aided by an onside kick and OT...otherwise it might have been just 8) to Miami, and 38 points against Oakland (aided by a punt return for TD and 3 carson palmer INTs).

So it is what it is.  Tebow is a competitor...he plays hard...but he's not the one holding the opposition to such putrid offensive outputs so he has a chance to shine at the end of the game. 

I'm not a Tebow hater...I cheer for him to do well.  But the reason Denver is 4-1 in their last 5 games is not because of Tebow.  I don't know...mabye the defense and offensive line plays harder for tebow than orton.  If that's the case, than maybe you can give Tebow more credit.  I just don't think that's the case.

2011-11-18 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3906951

Expert
Central Mass

pitt83 - 2011-11-18 6:34 AM
bradword - 2011-11-18 9:22 AM Tebow is a bad QB as it stands now. Right now he is getting away with it while playing powerhouses like the Jets. He is fun to watch, but unless he can learn how to see an open man, he'll be done soon. A 45% completion percentage is terrible and his 10Td/3 turnover isn't too bad. I think he will be a mediocre scrambling QB at best.
Oh really? 5-5 speaks otherwise. He's good for his team. The Broncos play defense well enough to give him a chance. Especially in a low scoring division like the AFC west is this year where no one seems to score more than 21 points in a game. If they go against a scoring machine like New Orleans, he'll not be able to keep up. He's a-typical and it remains to see if defense figure him out and shut him down to failure as Steve Young went off on. Guy is clutch; no doubting that.

They are winning because their defence is keeping them in low scoring games.

Against teams that beat their defence, they are destroyed - i.e. if they played the Saints, it would turn out like the Lions and Packers games.

If we drop their two outliers (the 10 points against the Lions, and the 38 against the Raiders), they consistently score between 14 and 24.  No matter who is playing QB.  If their D keeps they other team under 20, they have a chance.  They gave up 45 to the Lions, and 49 to the Packers

2011-11-18 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3907375

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Cuetoy - 2011-11-18 12:15 PM

Same thing with the Ravens in 2000.  They had lost 3 games in a row and were 5 and 4.  After Dilfer took over they didnt loose another came and continued to win the Superbowl, yet you dont see anyone saying that the Ravens won because of Dilfer.  I feel confident in betting that by the time the season is over the honeymoon will be over and that he won't start another game again in his carreer unless something freaky happens.

To make this comparison fair, you basically have to say that Denver's defense and running game now are on par with Baltimore's in 2000. That's laughable. The ability of this Denver team to win depends far more on the play of its QB than Baltimore did.

The Denver D is not the Baltimore 2000 D. The Willis McGahee of 2011 is not the Jamaal Lewis of 2000. Even Baltimore's receivers were better.

As you pointed out, Baltimore was already a winning team without Dilfer. And as I recall, Baltimore 2000 had a pretty cake schedule down the stretch. Of course, I'm also not saying Tebow is going to lead the Broncos to the Superbowl or even the playoffs.

You're also not considering that Tebow is a second-year QB, getting his first starts in the NFL. Dilfer was a seasoned vet at that point in his career. I think you've got to cut every young QB some slack.

2011-11-18 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3907414

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
scorpio516 - 2011-11-18 12:47 PM

bradword - 2011-11-18 9:22 AM Tebow is a bad QB as it stands now. Right now he is getting away with it while playing powerhouses like the Jets. He is fun to watch, but unless he can learn how to see an open man, he'll be done soon. A 45% completion percentage is terrible and his 10Td/3 turnover isn't too bad. I think he will be a mediocre scrambling QB at best.
Oh really? 5-5 speaks otherwise. He's good for his team. The Broncos play defense well enough to give him a chance. Especially in a low scoring division like the AFC west is this year where no one seems to score more than 21 points in a game. If they go against a scoring machine like New Orleans, he'll not be able to keep up. He's a-typical and it remains to see if defense figure him out and shut him down to failure as Steve Young went off on. Guy is clutch; no doubting that.

Against teams that beat their defence, they are destroyed - i.e. if they played the Saints, it would turn out like the Lions and Packers games.

If we drop their two outliers (the 10 points against the Lions, and the 38 against the Raiders), they consistently score between 14 and 24.  No matter who is playing QB.  If their D keeps they other team under 20, they have a chance.  They gave up 45 to the Lions, and 49 to the Packers

I agree with this. But the D was the same for both Orton and Tebow.

They're winning with Tebow and didn't with Orton.

2011-11-18 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3907429

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 10:56 AM

To make this comparison fair, you basically have to say that Denver's defense and running game now are on par with Baltimore's in 2000. That's laughable. The ability of this Denver team to win depends far more on the play of its QB than Baltimore did. The Denver D is not the Baltimore 2000 D. The Willis McGahee of 2011 is not the Jamaal Lewis of 2000. Even Baltimore's receivers were better. As you pointed out, Baltimore was already a winning team without Dilfer. And as I recall, Baltimore 2000 had a pretty cake schedule down the stretch. Of course, I'm also not saying Tebow is going to lead the Broncos to the Superbowl or even the playoffs. You're also not considering that Tebow is a second-year QB, getting his first starts in the NFL. Dilfer was a seasoned vet at that point in his career. I think you've got to cut every young QB some slack.

If this team is so dependent on its QB to win, how are they winning with Tebow putting up roughly 170 total yards this week and 100 last week?
2011-11-18 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3907443

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 11:04 AM

I agree with this. But the D was the same for both Orton and Tebow. They're winning with Tebow and didn't with Orton.

The biggest difference between Orton and Tebow is that Tebow isn't throwing picks. It makes it a lot easier on your defense when you arent turning the ball over.

That said, its hard to throw picks when you are one hopping the ball to your receivers. 45% completion percentage is dreadful.

2011-11-18 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3907465

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
uclamatt2007 - 2011-11-18 2:20 PM

scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 11:04 AM

I agree with this. But the D was the same for both Orton and Tebow. They're winning with Tebow and didn't with Orton.

The biggest difference between Orton and Tebow is that Tebow isn't throwing picks. It makes it a lot easier on your defense when you arent turning the ball over.

That said, its hard to throw picks when you are one hopping the ball to your receivers. 45% completion percentage is dreadful.

Leadership: You finished your sentence incorrectly good sir. Orton is about as inspiring as dryer lint.
2011-11-18 1:23 PM

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
I like Tebow and love that he loves GOD. If you don't believe in God or love him, it's gonna suck if you are wrong.  I enjoy hearing the so called "intellects descibe how there is no God or why not to beleive in one".  It's simple folks, there is good and evil, one will prevail in the end.  Enough.  Like Tebow, as a QB in the NFL, he's got a LOT of growing to do.  You can not play college ball offense and have it work long term, especially crushing blows off those options.
2011-11-18 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3907449

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
uclamatt2007 - 2011-11-18 1:07 PM

scoobysdad - 2011-11-18 10:56 AM

To make this comparison fair, you basically have to say that Denver's defense and running game now are on par with Baltimore's in 2000. That's laughable. The ability of this Denver team to win depends far more on the play of its QB than Baltimore did. The Denver D is not the Baltimore 2000 D. The Willis McGahee of 2011 is not the Jamaal Lewis of 2000. Even Baltimore's receivers were better. As you pointed out, Baltimore was already a winning team without Dilfer. And as I recall, Baltimore 2000 had a pretty cake schedule down the stretch. Of course, I'm also not saying Tebow is going to lead the Broncos to the Superbowl or even the playoffs. You're also not considering that Tebow is a second-year QB, getting his first starts in the NFL. Dilfer was a seasoned vet at that point in his career. I think you've got to cut every young QB some slack.

If this team is so dependent on its QB to win, how are they winning with Tebow putting up roughly 170 total yards this week and 100 last week?

Well, I'd say he's able to help his team score points when he's needed most... at the end of the game.

Why couldn't Orton win with the same D and putting up better passing numbers?

Tebow has made the Denver run game more dangerous (and the numbers bear that out-- McGahee and Moreno's numbers have gone way up since Tebow took over) and he comes through in the clutch. He also doesn't turn the ball over.

Edited by scoobysdad 2011-11-18 1:27 PM

2011-11-18 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3907449

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Let's face it. Timmy's got mojo. That's all there is to it. He was fun to watch in college. He may or may not pan out as a pro QB, but right now he's got "it" and the whole team is responding. The D is playing better because they know if they can keep the score close that TT will do that voodoo that he do so well.
2011-11-18 1:33 PM

Master
Centennial, CO

Sometimes you need a ra ra guy to get you going.  I believe that Tebow gets the guys excited to play.  He will put out 100% and his teamates (including the defense) give 100% for him.  That is why the defense is playing so much better.  That and the fact that a ground game eats clock and lets the D rest occasionally as compared to a 3 and out passing offense.

I've watched the Broncos for  years.  This type of play is awful to watch, but I'd take these wins over Plumber, Cutler and Ortons mopey play any day of the week.  And like I said, the defense is playing better for them now as well.

2011-11-18 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3907472

NC

hrliles - 2011-11-18 2:23 PM I enjoy hearing the so called "intellects descibe how there is no God or why not to beleive in one".  It's simple folks, there is good and evil, one will prevail in the end. 

The important question is who likes GOD more - Tebow or Newton.  Tebow is getting the wins, but Newton is playing really well for a rookie.  It's a tough call, but I think God has blessed Carolina more than Denver.

2011-11-18 1:56 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tebow! Rss Feed  

of 22