General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint/Olympic combo weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-18 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Subject: Sprint/Olympic combo weekend

Anyone with experience with back to back races in a single weekend? I've signed up for the Philly Tri Combo Challenge next June; a sprint on Saturday and an Olympic on Sunday. I've done both distances at this event stand alone and know the courses well so feel very comfortable with all the logistics race wise, but am thinking about training and race execution. Obviously I have plenty of time to get my plan together.

I'm coming off IMLP and have a strong base with 4 seasons of triathlon racing, building distance each season up to the 140.6. My plan right now is to follow the BT Intermediate HIM plan. I've used the plan before, was able to follow it and race HIM well off of it. I know the combo distance is not 70.3, but feel like working at that level will prepare me well for that type of event.

As for race execution, I am still working that out, and have plenty of time, but have a few approaches in mind.

1. Go all out in the Sprint and see how hard I can go with whatever I have left the Oly
2. Take it a bit easy on the Sprint and see how hard I can go with whatever I have left the Oly
3. Take it very easy on the Sprint and see how hard I can go with whatever I have left the Oly

2011-11-18 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3907077

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Sprint/Olympic combo weekend

Well, I've done this. A few times. Though it was YEARS ago, in my late 20's/early 30's, and I was a stupidly indestructible stud-muffin. ANYway...

My suggestion is to not focus so much on how you're going to approach each event. They're both races, and if you're a competitive type, you're most likely not going to hold back, even if your going-in plan is to do so. You'll have the base depth to pull off the races, so don't worry about that.

Instead, focus on your recovery and warm-up strategy. I found, especially when I was bike racing a LOT, that what mattered most wasn't the race distance, but the initial speed and how long of a warm-up I needed to be able to go hard enough at the gun. Meaning, pay attention to what you need to do after the sprint to feel as fresh as possible the next morning, and work on how you need to warm up to be able to go at full-intensity for the Oly.

2011-11-18 9:34 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I actually did this over the summer as well.  It was a blast!  I hammered the sprint, and then had a decent oly.  I think you'll be surprised.  Especially if you already know how you're going to feel after the sprint.  I don't think I could have done that early on in my racing career.  I trained for the oly as the primary because it was the longer distance, and found that I had a great season of sprint races.  Good luck and have fun.
2011-11-18 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

If you are training towards a 70.3 race, then your volume will be sufficient to pull off these 2 races.  Use approach #1.

The sprint distance will be intense, but the overall duration is short enough that you will very possibly have no carry-over to the next day.  I often feel a bit of a lift the day after a sprint race, with the third day being a bit tired.

I've not done a sprint/oly combo in the same weekend, but have done numerous 2-race weekends.  It's usually a tri on Saturday and a bike race on Sunday...then on Monday I'm beat, but Sunday I'm still strong.  It's likely to work that way for you too.

After the Saturday race, walk around enough to ensure the legs are loosened and relaxed.  Drink and eat plenty and spend the rest of that day off your feet.  A nice hot bath Saturday night and compression socks would be helpful..probably some Aleve Saturday too to minimize any inflammation you have left over.

2011-11-18 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I've done the American TTT the past 2 years- sprint Friday, 2 olympics on Saturday (am then pm), then a half on sunday. The key is recovery after each race- ice immediately, stretch and eat. Then eat more Spend the rest of the day relaxing in between the races. It's also important to test out how your body recovers after hard workouts. Test yourself a few weekends- do a hard brick on Sat, then see how hard you can push the next day. Sometimes, you can feel really sore after a sprint, but still be able to push the pace the next day, so that will give you a much better idea of your strategy going into the race.
2011-11-18 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

I did Lord of the Flies in NH last year.  It starts with a 4.4 mile TT on Fri night, Modified Olympic on Sat and a Sprint on Sunday.  The bike on all 3 finish with a nice climb up to transition.  By the 3rd day I could really feel it.  I have never trained for an IM or HIM so I cant offer that perspective.  But for me, my plan was to go all out on the TT, race the Oly like I normally do and see what I have left for the sprint.  Since yours has the Oly last, that throws a little wrinkle in the planning.  I would probably hold back a little on the sprint so I could do well in the Oly, but I guess it depends on what your goals are. I wanted to place in the overall for my AG and do well in the Oly. 

I think its all about your ability to recover.  If you recover well, you may be able to push it harder on them.  For me, my swim was better on Sun, but my bike was off a little and I suffered on the run on Sun (partially do to GI issues).  I would really have been a mess if I had to run a 10K on Sun.  After your race on Sat, make sure you drink lots of fluids and eat properly and stay off your feet as much as possible.  Getting a good nights sleep will also help. 

I really enjoyed this race though.  Multi-day events are a lot of fun.  Good Luck!

2011-11-18 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Good stuff regarding the recovery. I have thought about that but didn't include that info. Recovery Saturday will be key I think. Was planning on good stretching, some walking, an ice bath, good nutrition (I usually eat the fun junk after races), and plenty of rest.
2011-11-18 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I did the El Reno Rt 66 Triathlon "Festivus" option- Sprint on Saturday and Oly on Sunday this summer. It was a BLAST! Since I hadn't raced tris in a few years, I basically went out with the thought of, "give it all and see how I go." I felt good during the sprint, but I felt even BETTER during the Oly, which was weird (but I like longer distances in almost everything I do). I also placed in my group for each race, so something was right.

I tried to take it easy on the in between night, but I had to go to an opening for work on that night so I went to bed later than I would have liked, but the recovery burrito was so worth it.

(my race reports for both races are public for more info)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint/Olympic combo weekend Rss Feed