General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long before a 25 minute 5K? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-11-22 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3908867

User image

Regular
San Diego
Subject: RE: How long before a 25 minute 5K?

Try increasing your distance- if you start running 6+ miles at least once or twice a week (start building up your mileage little by little- don't make a sudden jump), that when you have to run a 5k it will seem "easy" and you can probably push yourself a little more, since your endurance has increased.  Also, "fartleks" are a really good way to work on your speed without having to go to a track.  Pick a "landmark" in the near distance (ie a mailbox, lamp post, car, etc) and run at a faster pace (don't sprint) until you reach the mark, then slow down to a comfortable jog and pick another landmark and repeat.  It's also a good way to prevent bordom while running. 

Also, do you have any friends who run just a little bit faster then you?  Running with someone who's faster is a really good way to push youself.  I PR'ed my last 5k (25:16) largely because I ran with one of my coworkers who runs about 1 min/mile faster then me (normally I run just under a 30 min 5k).  Sometimes it just takes someone to push you- since you probably can run faster then you think.

2011-11-23 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3908867

I thought I would respond to all the questions asked in one post.

1. As mentioned before I’m 55 years old.

2. 6’3” and 180 Lbs so can’t loose any weight or my wife is going to do an intervention.

3.  No health issues.

4. Recovery time. I need more than most people so that is why I have only been increasing my miles by 10% about every two weeks. And when I'm tired I take an extra day off. When I first hit my 24 miles a week my long run was 7.2 miles at 1.5 hours and 12 minute miles. I was sore and tired so I took two days off and then started back up. I am listening to my body and not getting injured or burned out.

5. As mentioned no speed work yet. I might run my 24 miles a week for a month to make sure I’m used to it then start one tempo run once a week and then after a few weeks or a month start some striders at the end of my short runs.

6. I have only been at 24 miles for two weeks.

7. I have no intention of upping my miles. It takes up five hours per week and 24 miles a week was my goal.

8. How often do I race? I have only done two sprint tri’s this summer. I don’t want to race 5ks I just want to build up my endurance. And then if I have time to get back into the tri’s next year I will.

9. Believe my, when I’m done wit a 5k I’m shot. I hit about 98% max heart rate by the time I’m finished. My LT. is about 91% of max heart rate for the entire run.

10. Even though I don’t race my kid is just a little faster than me. I don’t care how many times I race him I can’t keep up. So believe me I’m running as fast as I can.

11. Lastly, I can run about one 7:45 mile, two 8 ½ miles but only three 9:40 miles. So you can see I can run a fast my but I go down hill fast. So that is why I thought I’d build my endurance by running more miles, from 10 to 24. If I don’t see great improvements in a year I will be greatly disappointed
2011-11-23 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3913276

How many days per week are you running?  I don't think you need to run more miles, 25 week is plenty, actually quite a bit more than where I am right now.  If you can stay at 25 for 6-8 weeks you will see improvement.  The best way to structure that 25 miles though is through 5-6 runs per week.  Maybe back off the long run to max out at just 5-6 miles and add 1 more shorter run.  I know a lot of people don't think they can run more often, but 25 miles over 4 runs is actually harder on the body than 25 over 5, 6 or even 7.  

I am 5'7" and 180 lbs, just ran a 5K in 23:30 about 3 weeks ago on 10 miles/wk for 6 weeks leading up (coming off an injury brought on by RAGBRAI).  Over the last 18 months I have run about 1500 miles.  So I was really relying run fitness attained over a longer period.  I don't know how long you have been at it, but consistency and frequency are the two most important aspects.  Speedwork at this point is totally unnecessary.  It sounds like you need to become more efficient, which will naturally occur the more often you run.  Form drills might also be a good thing to incorporate.  Work on getting a high run cadence, over 80, good running posture, etc.

Ultimately, it will come and it will come sooner than you think as long as you stay healthy.  Keep me posted on your progress.  I am in the middle of re-building my run as well over the winter with an eye towards perhaps sub 20 minute 5K, perhaps we can help keep each other motivated. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long before a 25 minute 5K? Rss Feed  

of 2