General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Opinions on Valdora Tri Bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-22 12:19 PM

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Subject: Opinions on Valdora Tri Bikes

Hey Everyone..wanted to get your two cents on Valdora bikes.

I have the opportunity to purchase a valdora frame for 1$. The catch is my bike shop has to build it up. The frame is 100% carbon tri frame.

What is your opinion of building a bike like this and how are valdora frames in general?

2011-11-22 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3911803

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Opinions on Valdora Tri Bikes

I can't comment on the frame, I've seen them (not a lot of them, but a couple), but I don't know too much about them.

My comment would be that you should be careful in buying a bike this way.  It may sound like a good idea at first when you see a complete bike selling for $2000 (for example) and then see that the frame/fork combo alone sells for $900  you then think wow if I can get the frame for a buck I'm saving $900 off of $2000.  It doesn't work that way.  I'd venture a guess that even with getting the frame for a buck you still end up paying the same (or darn close) as if you just bought it built up from the dealer.

Buying just about anything in pieces will almost always cost you the same if not much, much more than buying it as a complete product.

2011-11-22 3:15 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I know the owners/makers of Valdora bikes personally - and they are amazing, honest, knowledgable people who would be willing to speak with you about this. Would give you an idea on what a fully built bike would cost etc etc! I am looking at purchasing one in the next year or two. Give them a call or check out their website and see what they have to say. 1-877-tri-bike

I have a friend who races on one of their bikes and he LOVES it! They will honestly tell you if the frame wouldn't work with your measurements etc. Good luck!
2011-11-23 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran

This poses a very interesting question. does the brand make that much of a difference, and or are you as a rider strong enough that the bike frame really impacts your performance. Here is my thought. You take a look at Fabian Cancellara and he wins just about ever TT he competes in. He has done it on Specialized bikes and Cervelo Bikes, yet Felt claims to have the fastest bikes. Same thing with Mark Cavendish who kills everyone and has done it on different bike manufacturers. Alberto Contador has won major tours on different manufacturers as well.

now, taking this down to the everyday rider, I have a very nice Trek 6.9 full Dura ace, carbon wheels blah, blah.. yet I don't see a real difference in keeping up in our group ride when I ride my aluminum cyclocross bike which is about 6 pounds heavier. Of course I admit that the trek is a more comfortable ride.

I say all this because being new to triathlons, I bought a use chinese frame on BT this year which I am building up. From the looks of it (have not ridden it yet) it is sturdy, full carbon with carbon steer tube, good geometry and the person who I purchased it from had race results averaging 25 MPH on the bike leg. I can only hope to match those averages..

So here are the things to consider when buying a new ride:

Fit: first and foremost.

Cost: make sure it matches your budget.

Componets: shifting quality and comfort which have nothing to do with the brand.

Wheels: I truly believe you are better off buying a cheaper bike and hanging some Zip wheels which would really help your overall time.

Of course, I say all this not as an expert and I am sure some will disagree, but hell, I have been dropped on group rides by riders on rusty old bikes...

2011-11-23 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Can you just list the specs you want and ask upfront the cost for them to build that bike? Then you know if it's a good deal (if it is, then it'd be awesome because you get exactly the bike you want without the need for changes to a stock bike). As for the frame itself, if it fits, that's the most important thing. The actual frame itself is one of the lower things affecting aerodynamics (when comparing newer frames specifically designed for Tt/tri). Other things, such as your position/comfort on the bike (hence making sure it fits), helmet, wheels etc will be a bigger deal than the frame.
2011-11-23 12:56 PM

I don't know much about Valdora, but I don't understand the deal.  Make sure you know how much they are charging you for the build out.  Does the manufacturer warranty still apply to the frame?  Has it been built out and ridden prior to you?  Have you bought anything (of substance)from this shop before?

I spec out my own bikes because A) its fun and B) I ususally end up swapping out frames and keeping components.  I actually have some inventory of bike parts I need to get up on e-bay one of these days.  I have been working with the same bike mechanic for 7-8 years so I trust him.  A full build out usually costs me about $200 and includes a FIST fit.  My last ride is a Planet X Stealth Pro spec'd pretty well includes Zipp Vuka Aero bars and FSA Neo Pro (not sure they sell anymore), but opted for Ultegra off my old bike rather than drop another $1,800 on a Dura Ace or SRAM Red group.  The bars and crank were sitting in the shop unopened collecting dust so I asked him what he wanted for him and he sold them to me at cost.  The bike really looks like about $6,000 bike, but I got out of there for about $2,500.  I think building a relationship with a shop is important, I think they are much more willing to sell me some excess/random inventory at cost because they know me. 

2011-11-24 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3913374

User image

Veteran

I think by far this is the best advice on buying a bike period. I do the same thing and usually get exactly what I want and for a much better price

saltman95 - 2011-11-23 1:56 PM

I spec out my own bikes because A) its fun and B) I ususally end up swapping out frames and keeping components.  I actually have some inventory of bike parts I need to get up on e-bay one of these days.  I have been working with the same bike mechanic for 7-8 years so I trust him.  A full build out usually costs me about $200 and includes a FIST fit.  My last ride is a Planet X Stealth Pro spec'd pretty well includes Zipp Vuka Aero bars and FSA Neo Pro (not sure they sell anymore), but opted for Ultegra off my old bike rather than drop another $1,800 on a Dura Ace or SRAM Red group.  The bars and crank were sitting in the shop unopened collecting dust so I asked him what he wanted for him and he sold them to me at cost.  The bike really looks like about $6,000 bike, but I got out of there for about $2,500.  I think building a relationship with a shop is important, I think they are much more willing to sell me some excess/random inventory at cost because they know me. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Opinions on Valdora Tri Bikes Rss Feed