General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new "used" bike, what pedals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-24 4:29 AM

Subject: new "used" bike, what pedals?

I'm new.  I completed my first tri last fall on a mountain bike and loved it.  I just bought my first tri-bike (Cervelo P3) and it is shipped on its way.  I've been looking at the different pedal options.  I'm wondering if people have an opinion of what to get?  Clips, platforms, straps? I have a pair of shoes that a friend gave me (have a place to put a Look cleat), but I'm just not sure about which pedals to get or if I should use the shoes at all.

I did a sprint tri, and I'd like to do several olympic distances this next year.

2011-11-24 4:56 AM
in reply to: #3913881

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: new "used" bike, what pedals?
Clipless pedals are the way to go, but there are may types, and it's hard to say which would work best for you. If you have not used clipless pedals before, there is a bit of a learning curve, learning to clip in and more importantly, clip out when you come to a stop. Some of the more common pedal/cleat systems you can look at: Shimano, Look, Crank Brothers, Speedplay, and probably others I'm blanking on....

You might consider what you would prefer in a pedal/cleat system. For some systems, the cleat is relatively small, which can make them a bit easier to walk in. Some people prefer a pedal that allows you to clip in on either side of the pedal. I tend to prefer pedals with a larger platform (Look, etc.) - I feel like they give me a little better power transfer. Maybe you should go to a local bike shop and see what they stock. They might let you set up your bike on a trainer and try out a few types of pedals to see what you like.
2011-11-24 10:00 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
With a bike like that, you would do yourself a major disservice if you didn't go clip less. Pedals and the seat are probably the two most personal items on the bike, so try different ones and see what you like. You can use, Look and Shimano with those shoes, or Speedplay with the adaptor (which comes with the pedals). Personally, I love Speedplays for the double-sided, easy entry and exit.
2011-11-24 10:14 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
I love my LOOK pedals, recommend them to people every day.
2011-11-24 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3914046

User image

Expert
Leicester
audiojan - 2011-11-24 10:00 AM

With a bike like that, you would do yourself a major disservice if you didn't go clip less..

Definitely agree.

If you shelled that much out on a bike, go to a store and try on different shoes, find comfort and convenience, triple strap with buckles are a pain in the at a race, but single Velcro strap Tri shoes are not everyone's cup of tea.

As for pedals, if you want lots of freedom, consider speedplay, but if you don't need play, you can't go wrong with keo's and the 4.5 degree float cleats.
2011-11-24 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Houston

Go clipless for sure.

The shoes will have 2 or 3 holes (I'm not sure for Look) and they can take any of the clips that use that number of holes to attach.

I suggest going ahead and investing 100-300 on a trainer while you wait on your bike, and put it on the trainer as soon as you get it.  Just to give yourself a chance to practice clipping in and out.  Besides, you will want to do some of your riding inside before long anyway.

ETA: Since your new let me clarify.  Clipless means no toe clip.  But you still "clip in" on a clipless pedal". 

Edited by NewClydesdale 2011-11-24 12:35 PM

2011-11-24 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

There are many choices in clipless pedals and while no clear winners, each have advantages and disadvantages.  I have used Look and SPD, and for several years now I've used Shimano Ultegra PD-6700s on both my road and tri bike.

Here's why:

Walkable on road shoes without covers (unlike SPD or Speedplay)
Don't slide on wet pavement (unlike Look)
Don't fill with mud (unlike Speedplay)
Wide platform (unlike SPD)
Adjustable float (unlike SPD)
Easy to clip in (unlike SPD)

I spent time a while bike evaluating a switch to Speedplay, and decided against mostly based on the mud and cleat cover problem.  Lots of people have reported problems with the cleats filling with muddy grass when running out of T1 to the bike mount location.

Walkability is important for me.  I don't want to have to use cleat covers to walk into stores etc on my rides.  Shimano cleats can be walked on without worry of slip-and-fall (unlike Look's hard plastic cleats), and don't destroy people's floors (like SPDs on road shoes).  With Look cleats, I fell over once at a stop sign when I put my foot down on a wet metal plate without noticing it, and my foot just slid sideways and down I went.

Years ago with my Looks I'd always forget to take off my cleat covers and the group ride would take off and I'd have the doh! moment of trying to clip in wearing covers.  No covers = one less thing to buy, carry, forget about.

We bought my wife SPD for her road bike because they have those at the gym on the spin bikes, and we regret it.  She found it too hard to clip in and out, and the double sided entry didn't offset that significantly.  The only advantages of SPD are low price and how common they are on indoor spin class bikes.

Some useful old threads on the subject:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248586

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=251003

Edited by brucemorgan 2011-11-24 2:56 PM
2011-11-25 7:26 AM

Thank you everyone.  Your comments have been educational and helpful.
2011-11-25 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3914247

User image

Corpus Christi, TX

brucemorgan - 2011-11-25 4:50 AM

Walkability is important for me.  I don't want to have to use cleat covers to walk into stores etc on my rides.  Shimano cleats can be walked on without worry of slip-and-fall (unlike Look's hard plastic cleats), and don't destroy people's floors (like SPDs on road shoes).  With Look cleats, I fell over once at a stop sign when I put my foot down on a wet metal plate without noticing it, and my foot just slid sideways and down I went.

Years ago with my Looks I'd always forget to take off my cleat covers and the group ride would take off and I'd have the doh! moment of trying to clip in wearing covers.  No covers = one less thing to buy, carry, forget about.

I have to disagree with you on the looks. You can get cleats with rubber grips on them. I have had mine for 4 years and never had a slipping issue or felt the need to use cover. I love Looks and will probably never use anything else.

2011-11-25 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3914557

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
flyprops - 2011-11-25 5:38 AM

brucemorgan - 2011-11-25 4:50 AM

I have to disagree with you on the looks. You can get cleats with rubber grips on them. I have had mine for 4 years and never had a slipping issue or felt the need to use cover. I love Looks and will probably never use anything else.

Well so you can now!  http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/look-keo-grip-replacement-cleats

"New Grip rubber pads making walking easier without the need for cleat covers."

I've very happy you corrected me on that.  I want to buy a Garmin Vector pedal-based power meter, and that uses only Look Keo pedals.  I can get the Garmin Vector pedals, and those Look cleats with rubber pads, and not have to compromise.  Yay!

2011-11-25 12:42 PM

User image

Pro

The answer is "clipless pedals".

the only decision is 'which model'.   read Tom's overview.  he does good review

http://university.tri-sports.com/2011/09/09/beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-clipless-pedals/

2011-11-25 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
slaird - 2011-11-24 5:29 AM

I'm new.  I completed my first tri last fall on a mountain bike and loved it.  I just bought my first tri-bike (Cervelo P3) and it is shipped on its way.  I've been looking at the different pedal options.  I'm wondering if people have an opinion of what to get?  Clips, platforms, straps? I have a pair of shoes that a friend gave me (have a place to put a Look cleat), but I'm just not sure about which pedals to get or if I should use the shoes at all.

I did a sprint tri, and I'd like to do several olympic distances this next year.

I am giggling at the image of a P3 with platform pedals on it.....    

Seriously, go clipless as others have said. Pedal choice is very personal and there are lots of variables to consider.

Typically there is a very short learning curve in going clipless. Yes you will fall a couple of times. Think of it as an initiation to the club!

Enjoy your new bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new "used" bike, what pedals? Rss Feed