General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon with a replacement heartvalve Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-24 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Triathlon with a replacement heartvalve

Went for my yearly checkup today with my heart doc. I have leaky heartvalve, had one for years and doing sport and keeping my weight down eating the proper food  is one of the ways that I go about trying to put off the day that I would need the valve replaced. 

Well sadly my heart is beginning to get slight larger so the time for a replacement valve is getting closer. Anyone here with a replacement valve? How long before you got going again? and any effects on your sport. 

I really dont want to stop doing triathlons, it has become so much part of my life.

2011-11-24 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3914179

User image

Subject: RE: Triathlon with a replacement heartvalve
Which valve?  I had severe regurtitation in my mitral valve (heart enlarged).  I was able to get a repair instead of replacement (2/11).  Pretty amazing surgery; was jogging (couldn't really call it running, then) six weeks later.  Have done a half marathon since; hope to get back into tris next year.  I am 54.  Cardiac Athletes (UK) web site has some tri-ers that have had valve replacements.  Just want to be careful about bleeding if you are on coumadin/warfarin.
2011-11-24 9:35 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I had my aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude mechanical valve in December 2000.  It took me about nine months to fully recover from the surgery. 

I did my first triathlon three years post-op in February 2004.  I've only done sprint races so far, but hope to do an Oly in the next year or so.  I did my first half marathon two years ago and am currently training to do another one in March 2012. 

I'm almost eleven years post-op and seldom think about my valve replacement anymore.  I feel my biggest limitation is my age (58) and the wear and tear on my joints.

Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything.

Mark 

2011-11-24 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3914425

User image

Veteran

Thanks guys for the info. Its my mitral valve that is giving trouble. I listen to it with the clinical tech lady and it sound like a 1940's Lister Diesel engine. Not good. At the moment I have no symptoms. Running at 5-5.30 a k doing a HIM in January.  National champs in March. However my doc believes in fixing the problem before it damages the heart. The valve repair looks like and interesting option. I would like to chat to him about it next time when  I see him

2011-11-28 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Paul;

I am not a VR guy, but after a heart attack, 5 stents, and a triple bypass, I DO have a little bit of experience in that direction.

When you get time, check out my folks at www.IronHeartRacing.com. A number of them have had valve replacements, and could likely address some of your concerns. I have joined this team for the IMAZ 2012 season ... which for me started 11/21.

2011-11-28 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran

on my way there right now

thanks

2011-11-28 4:26 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I have (had) a PFO: Patent Foramen Ovale or open atrial septum. It "burped" an embolism while running and caused me to have a stroke. I survived the stroke and made it to the hospital where they discovered the PFO.

Here is what it looked like:

A doctor from Baghdad, Iraq, Dr. Samir Dahbous of the Oakwood Health Center in Dearborn, Michigan installed a PFO closure made by AGA medical Corporation called the Amplatzer. It looks like this:

Helex

The thing has worked perfectly. I am faster now because my heart works better. The device has stayed in place even at prolonged high heart rates. I can maintain 165-178 BPM for well over an hour and I am not in particularly great condition now.

Bottom line: The new heart surgeries make your heart better than original. Plastic is tougher than the original tissue and plastic doesn't get sick, plastic can't get cancer.

The Amplatzer PFO closure is the bst piece of racing equipment I've ever owned. It keeps me safe from strokes and makes my heart work better. Installation was done through my femoral vein in a relatively quick procedure. I was in the hospital 2 days. No open heart surgery for installation. Better, cheaper, faster. The entire procedure was less than $30K.

I had to remain non-athletic for four weeks while the Amplatzer merged well with tissue inside my heart. Since then I haven't had any problems.

If you truly have a leaky valve instead of a PFO (which is quite common, many people in triathlons have them without realizing it) then the procedure to close a leaky valve may be similar depending on the severity and location of the leak. The bottom line is that non-invasive, intra-vascular procedures to fix cardiac problems are an incredible advancement.

Get a good caridologist and tell them what your goals are and what you want your quality of life to be. They can tell you if your goals are realistic.

When I told my doctor what I wanted to do he said it may be possible but took a cautionary tone. Being an Iraqi, a nationality I have always adored for their pragmatism, he told me, "You can do what you want, but if that thing ever comes out of there when you are running you'll never know it."

So far, so good. Smile

2011-11-29 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
Just want to say...
You guys are an inspiration!!  MANY would let this be a show stopper out of caution alone!!
2011-11-29 12:06 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Take this piece of advice: really, and I mean, REALLY, research your surgeon. There can be a huge variation in skills between surgeons. This is really evident when it comes to mitral valve surgery. It is a tricky operation to repair a mitral valve and I know that some surgeons will just replace rather than repair while others who are really good at this will make your current valve "work like new" with a couple nips and tucks (if the valve is amenable to this-some aren't). If you can find a way to talk the the anesthesiologists for your hospital, they can steer you toward who they would have do their operation.

To address Tom's post; PFO closure via closed procedure (percutaneous or via the vein) is a great procedure. In my experience, which is admittedly small, percutaneous valve repair is still in its infancy and I would personally not have it done.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Good luck.

Edited by wannabefaster 2011-11-29 12:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon with a replacement heartvalve Rss Feed