General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lifting Days versus Training Days Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-04 9:35 AM

Online or Offline
Subject: Lifting Days versus Training Days
For those who integrate weights into their training program; how do you go about it?

Ex: On days that you swim, do you do shoulders too? Do you do legs on days that you bike/run? If you alternate days from training and lifting for a particular body part, then when is the rest or recovery time for that body part (the ONE day you manage to actually FORCE yourself to take a REST DAY?)

I've seen a few triathlon training plans, but none that I have seen really speak to weight training...

What's your opinion or what do you do?

2004-06-04 10:05 AM
in reply to: #29090

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: Lifting Days versus Training Days
I try to do weights on all my muscles once a week, which translates into 3 weight sessions. When I do a short run, or short bike, I alternate tri's-shoulders-chest or back-abs-bi's. When I do a short swim I do legs, but only if I have a day off the next day. Unfortunately this only works about 60% of the time and I am almost always sore somewhere. Ultimately, weightlifting is secondary to tri training as bulkier muscles are counterproductive to Triathlons (that is why the plans you see don't speak to weights), so if something has to suffer for me it is the weights....
2004-06-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #29096

Online or Offline
thanks tmwelshy!

Aside from weight training for aesthetics, body sculpting, and for non tri-specific strength......

What about weight training for preventative purposes? Say you either HAVE or want to PREVENT rotator cuff issues - so you do some shoulder strengthening exercises......or you have a bad knee and have to strength train to keep it behaving.....then how/when should one integrate the weights without overtraining and allowing that body part enough time for rest and recovery?

tmwelshy's way of training makes much sense.....any one else lift for preventative/rehabilitative purposes?
2004-06-04 11:05 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I do upper body lifting only now. I figure that my legs are getting worked just about every day anyway. Besides, it seems like running has done more for my legs than weights ever did. I'm just careful to monitor things to make sure nothing gets out of balance.

I do the upper lifting 2 days a week -- basically 3 sets of 15 on each muscle group. It's not a lot, but it keeps up the upper body strength. I do my weight lifting at lunch since it doesn't make me sweat too much. Then I do my other workouts after work. Since I'm not pushing myself too hard on the weights and give myself a few hours of rest before the other exercise, I don't notice any problems with my workouts.

I can tell you it sucks doing an upper body workout right before running, though. My shoulders would get so tired, and my posture suffered. Try to give yourself a few hours of rest.
2004-06-04 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Like Whit I also don't work my leggs on the weights and for the same reason. My training is a little different in that I run about every morning and swim or bike in the evening. I incorporate weights into the evenings and treat them somewhat like a back up activity. If for some reason I can only run in the morning and my evening gets fouled up, then I work on the weights. (I have my weight eqipment set up in the master suite so it makes lifting very convinent). As far as a rest day.... Sunday is always my rest day.

Edited by tplauche 2004-06-04 11:23 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lifting Days versus Training Days Rss Feed