General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Makes sense of LT test data? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-26 11:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: Makes sense of LT test data?

I did a LT test the the other day, according to Jorge winter plan. I did this test indoors on a trainer Blackburn mag trainer 

WU: 
10' @ 68-73% + 5' alternating 30" @ 95-100% 
30" @ 68-73% + 5' @ 80%
MS: 
30 min all out test 
*For the 30min test start a bit easier for 5 min of you ‘think’ you could sustain for the entire duration. Then settle into the effort you can sustain for the next 20 min and finish as strong as you can for the last 5 min. 
CD: 5-10' @ 65%

avg HR for the test was 181, max HR was 196, avg speed 29.4, avg cadence 97. (Screenshot bellow)

these number all seem kinda of high?....I know that I'm faster on the trainer then on the road. Not really sure why since I thought it was the opposite. I have the trainer set to number 2 resistance out of 3, should I move it to 2 and retest? 

Next time I do the test, what data to I compare? Also, 97 cadence seems a little on the high side. 

Test 1

Edited by chris-alfonso 2011-11-27 12:00 AM

2011-11-27 4:26 AM
in reply to: #3915938

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Makes sense of LT test data?
It sounds like you are doing Jorge's plan based on Heart Rate. If that is the case, then just focus on the heart rate numbers, and don't worry about the rest (speed, cadence, etc.) FWIW, I think I tend to push a higher cadence during testing and harder intervals on the trainer than I do when I'm riding outdoors (unless I'm doing hard intervals outdoors, too). It's possible that your HR might be a little elevated indoors compared to outdoors because of poorer cooling. If you don't have one, get a good fan (or two) to blow on yourself during your training sessions. Have you tracked your HR in training before, or is this new to you? If you've been doing it for a while, how does that HR compare to other hard cycling work you've done? Your HR would be a bit on the high side FOR ME, but we're all different, and our heart rates are different too...
2011-11-27 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3915975

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Yea, I am doing the Heart Rate plan. I think my cooling might be ok I have one good fan and one soso fan, plus the windows open and the AC blasting on cool I could always get a better fan. I have some data, (I'm really bad at uploading data on my computer, I always forget.) and based upon previous data it's about 9-12 beats higher then harder workouts. But I don't think there enough data to show any previous trends. 
2011-11-27 11:38 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Your speed shouldn't be considered on a trainer.  Too many variables to compare against outside including different surface resistance, different wind resistance, no obstacles etc to allow for and so on.  That your cadence was that high if it isn't normally says to me that you should tighten down the resistance on your trainer.  
2011-11-27 4:02 PM

User image

If you're training to HR then the only data you need to take from that is your avg HR over the course of the Main Set all out effort, and really you only need the avg for the last 20 minutes of the all out effort. That number is then your new LTHR, and you use that to set your HR zones for future training. 

The speed and cadence are irrelevant for trainer sessions. However it is good to see that you have a cadence of 97. That is right about where you want to be. But your speed on a trainer will always be higher than on the road because you do not have the wind resistance when you are stationary. Without wind resistance you will go much faster.

2011-11-27 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3916360

Master
Northern IL
mattradniecki - 2011-11-27 4:02 PM

If you're training to HR then the only data you need to take from that is your avg HR over the course of the Main Set all out effort, and really you only need the avg for the last 20 minutes of the all out effort. That number is then your new LTHR, and you use that to set your HR zones for future training. 

The speed and cadence are irrelevant for trainer sessions. However it is good to see that you have a cadence of 97. That is right about where you want to be. But your speed on a trainer will always be higher than on the road because you do not have the wind resistance when you are stationary. Without wind resistance you will go much faster.

I'm curious about why 97? How big of a range is "about"?

Many people here find that they are slower on the trainer. It really matters which one is being used to be able to say anything. My KK trainer is significantly stronger than the Travel Trac I used to have. I would need to head to head again, but would guess 6-7 mph difference between them. Having said that, trainer speed is really not terribly useful for translation to the roads, regardless of the trainer used.

2011-11-27 7:43 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Trainer speed certainly cannot be meaningfully compared to outdoor riding speeds. Each trainer has a different resistance profile. And the trainer speed is merely a function of the watts that you put in, where as outdoors speed depends on the ratio of watts to weight and frontal area.

BUT if you have your trainer set up consistently from one workout to the next, then trainer speed can be a great way of tracking your progress from one trainer workout to the next. HR can be a good way of gauging effort levels, but it won't show you what progress you're making, because fitness gains will allow you to put out more watts with the same HR. Speed will show your progress.

And to echo an earlier remark: the quality of cooling on the trainer can make a huge difference to your HR. When I moved from a feeble to a moderate fan, my HR values immediately dropped by at least 10 BPM.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Makes sense of LT test data? Rss Feed