General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pull Float and Hand Paddles Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-04 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR
Subject: Pull Float and Hand Paddles Question
I just bought from a local sport shop, Speedo Hand Paddles and TYR Pull Float. I have a couple of questions… I'm using fins to train in the pool, but I’ll be using the hand paddles and pull float to concentrate on the upper body.

The hand paddles must be used with the pull float? And the pull float must be used with the hand paddles?

I heard that the hand paddles can produce shoulder injuries if is not used correctly. Any of you know anything about this? That’s a thing that I don’t want to get at this moment, an injury.

Thanks for your help…

2004-06-04 1:55 PM
in reply to: #29188

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Subject: RE: Pull Float and Hand Paddles Question
I've had a bad right shoulder for years. I use my SPEEDO Aquafoil paddles regularly without any problems.
Not scientific but my 2 cents.
2004-06-04 4:03 PM

Last year I pulled a tendon in my elbow. I was using a pull float and then lifting weights afterwards. I probably should have split these up with a day of rest inbetween. The reason I was using a pull float is that I had a broken foot (so I couldn't kick in the water) so every swim workout was with a pull float. I think that proved to be too much stress on the upper body. One good point, before the injury, the pull float definately increased my swim endurance...If I did not have the foot injury, I probably would have mixed it up, if I did a pull-float workout, the next swim workout would have been without it. Also, I am going to start stretching after I do a couple of warm-up laps - so I won't be stretching "cold" muscles...
2004-06-04 4:09 PM

Cambridge, UK
this not scientific either but i think the injury problems could occur because of the extra effort needed during the pull cycle.. ie becuase you have to displace more water due to the paddle surface area.

i assume if ur reasonably fit then this shouldn't be too much of a problem.. but mebbe take it easy first few times until your body gets accustomed.

you dont "need" to use the pull float, but it allows you to concentrate on your pull stroke.

enjoy that feeling of speed... and try to re-create it without the paddles!!
2004-06-04 6:06 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
Take your time to adjust using the paddles with the pull buoy. Maybe do a set of pulling with paddles and then one without. As your shoulders get stronger you should be able to pull longer with the paddles. I like using the pull buoy by itself because I have had shoulder problems in the past and using the paddles can cause some pain.

Mike
2004-06-05 12:20 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
I agree with Mike as to splitting the drills. Some with paddles, some with float, and after your used to the feel of the two individually, some with both. I watch people using all 3 variations, and they're all effective. My pool has floats available for use, but no paddles. I've noticed a definite improvement just using the float.

And for anyone else interested, you can do closed-fist drills. Basically, make a fist and keep it that way while you swim 25-50 yards. It's a toughie; I don't like these very much, but it does help the arms. This can be done with or without a pull buoy, but I suppose it's better to use the buoy with this drill.

2004-06-05 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Make sure you are strengthening all of your rotator cuff muscles prior to using paddles or you might injure something.  There are good articles on the net on swimming sites about this with exercises to do...or see a physiotherapist.  Swimming freestyle encourages an imbalance in shoulder girdle muscles anyway, and adding resistance to this imbalance just aggravates shoulders.  I had a bad shoulder last year, and now it is fine.

Jen

2004-06-05 10:18 PM
in reply to: #29345

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
keepitup - 2004-06-05 10:59 AM

Swimming freestyle encourages an imbalance in shoulder girdle muscles anyway, and adding resistance to this imbalance just aggravates shoulders. 

That seems to explain why I have problems getting my left arm 'high' enough when swimming. A lifeguard mentioned to me that I tend to push water with my left arm, rather then move my arm over the surface of the water. I've been trying to rectify that, but knowing why I do something helps me to figure out how NOT to do it.
2004-07-24 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR

Well I have to resurrect this thread, because yesterday at the pool, I increased my drills to 200m with pulley/hand paddles and 200m fins/no hand paddles, alternating them 3 times each, for almost 1200 meters.

But almost at the end, I stated to feel a weird left shoulder pain after ending the last drills with the pulley/hand paddle.  Well I pushed my self but this time without hand paddles, and the pain was gone. 

Well I think I should have listen to all of you recommendations.  Fortunately I have no pain today, so... I keep myself away from the hand paddles, until I strengthen the shoulder muscles.

Thanks...

Charlie

2004-07-25 10:28 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
One thing I forgot to mention. If you want a good workout with the pull buoy but want to avoid the paddles get yourself a drag suit. The one that is mesh and has the pockets around it. I use that with my pulling and some of my workout and towards the end of my workout I am very tired.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pull Float and Hand Paddles Question Rss Feed