General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lost fitness or just really well rested? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-30 8:39 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Lost fitness or just really well rested?

I haven't run since Friday (which wasn't a great run anyhow). I've been battling a nasty cold (can't breathe out of my nose, phelgm-y cough) and although I want to run, I know it's better for my body to rest and heal.

I have a 15K race this weekend. It's not an "A" race so I'm not that stressed, but will this lost week of training eff me over?

2011-11-30 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3920291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Lost fitness or just really well rested?
So 7 to 8 days off?  You'll be well rested and probably feel a bit out of sorts but you'll be fine.
2011-11-30 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

You will be fine, I'm sure.  A week off is no big deal, maybe go out for an easy 2-3 miles the day before the race just to shake your legs out, but otherwise don't even worry about it.

If you've been sick, you are much better off resting up than you would be by running more and exacerbating the sickly condition. 

Going into a race sick, and un-rested will hurt your performance much much more than going into one not sick and well rested, but w/o running for a week.

2011-11-30 8:48 AM

User image

Runner
May take you a little longer than normal to get your body into the swing of things, but once you start you should be fine. Maybe a somewhat longer warm-up before the race to shake things loose.

But no, a week or so isn't really long enough to have a serious impact on your fitness. The cold itself may have a bigger impact.
2011-11-30 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
trishie - 2011-11-30 9:39 AM

I haven't run since Friday (which wasn't a great run anyhow). I've been battling a nasty cold (can't breathe out of my nose, phelgm-y cough) and although I want to run, I know it's better for my body to rest and heal

I have a 15K race this weekend. It's not an "A" race so I'm not that stressed, but will this lost week of training eff me over?

First one I'd say have at it...second one sounds like a recipe for a bronchial infection.  Rest another day, maybe try to get a couple of light runs in Thurs/Fri.  I had two of those chest thingys last year and was down 7-10 days each time...no fun.

2011-11-30 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
A week won't hurt you at all. Don't let your mind drag you down with mental hurdles, though. ;-)

2011-11-30 10:25 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
This doesn't really address the question but it is a comment that I have made before, and will probably make again: I train right through a cold/congestion/even the flu. If I am really stuffed up I might feel bad for the first few minutes of the workout but usually at about the ten minute mark I start to feel remarkably better. My congestion improves and my breathing gets easier. The body loosens up and I usually have a great workout. In fact when I am sick, I never feel better than I do while I am working out--I look forward to it so I can feel better.

I know that a lot of people have strong feelings that this is not a good idea. I have never seen any data that tells me that a moderate workout while under the weather is bad for me. In my n of 1, a good workout is just what the doctor ordered. I understand that exercising while under the weather probably does not improve my fitness and is probably not necessary but it just always makes me feel so much better.

My wife thinks I am crazy by the way.
2011-11-30 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3920478

User image

Champion
New York, NY

wannabefaster - 2011-11-30 11:25 AMThis doesn't really address the question but it is a comment that I have made before, and will probably make again: I train right through a cold/congestion/even the flu. If I am really stuffed up I might feel bad for the first few minutes of the workout but usually at about the ten minute mark I start to feel remarkably better. My congestion improves and my breathing gets easier. The body loosens up and I usually have a great workout. In fact when I am sick, I never feel better than I do while I am working out--I look forward to it so I can feel better. I know that a lot of people have strong feelings that this is not a good idea. I have never seen any data that tells me that a moderate workout while under the weather is bad for me. In my n of 1, a good workout is just what the doctor ordered. I understand that exercising while under the weather probably does not improve my fitness and is probably not necessary but it just always makes me feel so much better. My wife thinks I am crazy by the way.

my rule with myself and patients:sick from neck up - ok to train through it if you are up to it

sick below neck - NOT ok to train

Edited by TriToy 2011-11-30 10:29 AM
2011-11-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3920478

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Cold or allergies or hangover (and certain kinds of migraines), I will still work out, unless I feel really terrible, and have no pressing reason I NEED to do a workout.

Fever is a no go.

Really, it's based on how I FEEL. I've been training long enough in my life that I can tell if I am feeling too crappy to train or if a nice easy jog will be good for clearing out the system, so to speak. It's common sense, I think, after awhile. When you're new, and not entirely sure how much time off effects you or when you're in that obsessive havetohavetohavetoTRAININGISEVERYTHINGOHMYGODCAKE!!! phase that most folks go through at some point...then it's probably less clear. Hence the general guideline of fever=bad.

2011-11-30 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
For me, it depends. I have trained through moderately bad colds. But if something is knocking me out for a couple days, I am not running. If I can't make it to work, I am not running. So if I am not running I am pretty sick. When I am sick, which is rare, I am often surprised that even 5-7 days out of being better, my running still blows. I think this makes sense though, I mean, sick for 2-3 days + can't run for 2-3 days = significant stress on the body. That said, I feel super strong 8-10 days out, after having a couple shake out.

So how it will work out for you, I don't know. But don't be surprised if you feel like you are only running at 60% even though you feel all better.
2011-11-30 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3920485

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
TriToy - 2011-11-30 11:28 AM

wannabefaster - 2011-11-30 11:25 AMThis doesn't really address the question but it is a comment that I have made before, and will probably make again: I train right through a cold/congestion/even the flu. If I am really stuffed up I might feel bad for the first few minutes of the workout but usually at about the ten minute mark I start to feel remarkably better. My congestion improves and my breathing gets easier. The body loosens up and I usually have a great workout. In fact when I am sick, I never feel better than I do while I am working out--I look forward to it so I can feel better. I know that a lot of people have strong feelings that this is not a good idea. I have never seen any data that tells me that a moderate workout while under the weather is bad for me. In my n of 1, a good workout is just what the doctor ordered. I understand that exercising while under the weather probably does not improve my fitness and is probably not necessary but it just always makes me feel so much better. My wife thinks I am crazy by the way.

my rule with myself and patients:sick from neck up - ok to train through it if you are up to it

sick below neck - NOT ok to train

Ha!  Exactly what I was going to say... although I prefer the catch little ditty of "if its in the head then go-ahead, if its in the chest let it rest"  I have the mentality of a 3rd grader so I need little things like this to help me remember!

Edited by Sous 2011-11-30 1:35 PM

2011-11-30 2:11 PM

User image

Elite

Can I ask what's below the neck?  Are we talking just a chest cold?  Sorry if thats a silly question, but I'm just wondering if there is any other sickness.  Obviously a fever as well.

Tricia, see you Saturday, hopefully!  Although its going to be crowded! I'll be with the Mid MD folks.

2011-11-30 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I got sick (cold-same as you have) the week before the Annapolis Half Marathon and missed my last scheduled long run and 2 other scheduled runs. I got to the race feeling fine and during the race I felt no problems at all. My muscles felt a little fatigued midway through but overall I felt great. I think you will be just fine for your race. You have a solid base to start with and if its not an "A" race then I dont think you have anything to worry about. I would say to dress warm and rest after the race so you get better. Good luck!
2011-11-30 11:13 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ

I know people who come back from injury and don't run for up to the 3-4 weeks before a marathon and then blow it out of the water.  Relax you will be ok.

Thomas Gerlach
Professional Triathlete
www.thomasgerlach.com

2011-11-30 11:34 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
trishie - 2011-11-30 9:39 AM

I haven't run since Friday (which wasn't a great run anyhow). I've been battling a nasty cold (can't breathe out of my nose, phelgm-y cough) and although I want to run, I know it's better for my body to rest and heal.

You'll be fine. Or even better than fine.

Main thing is to recover from your illness as fast as possible, so that you'll be earlier in line for the chocolate after the race!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lost fitness or just really well rested? Rss Feed