General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for very first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-01 10:37 AM

Subject: Preparing for very first tri
Help! Physcially, I am as ready as I can be for my upcoming sprint tri on May 7th. However, I need some advice when it comes to gear. Any recommendations on wet suits (long sleeve, short sleeve, material, etc.) Also, what should I purchase to bike and run in...singlet, specific shorts and top? I have tri's planned for the entire season, so I'd like to buy the right gear the first time around. Any and all recommendations would be AWESOME! Thanks everyone. Tenui Nec Dimittam. No worries.

2006-05-01 11:42 AM
in reply to: #411067

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: RE: Preparing for very first tri

Hey Nick,

Welcome to BT.  First off, we need a little bit more info on where your are in the world. Is your swim wetsuit legal.?  Second, something that has been repeated often on this site is" nothing new on race day". For your first race , since it is less than a week away, I would just wear what you do while training. My first race I wore a pair of jammers for the swim and bike (20km with jammers was o.k. for me) in T1 I threw on a tee shirt and did the bike and run in that. I now have a pair of tri shorts, and will race in a tee shirt or bike jeresy this summer. 

2006-05-01 12:10 PM
in reply to: #411159

Thanks for the welcome! I am in New Jersey...estimated water temperature on race day is 70 degrees (lake). Wet suits are legal. I understand exactly what you mean by "nothing new on race day." OK, I am fine with sticking to what I have for this race...how about for the future? Any recommendations for wet suits, I'm sure I'll need one at some point in my tri career. Any pointers for transitioning areas would also be great. Thanks so much for responding! Tenui Nec Dimittam. No worries.
2006-05-01 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal

70 degrees, I would swim with a wetsuit too.  Around here there are some shops that will rent you a suit for the race.  Gives you a chance to try out different models before you buy.  For the transitions, practice them before hand. Set your stuff-up and practice the T1and T2.  I did the before my first race and it helped take the edge off, also try the search function  on the site. There are a lot of interesting threads on transitions.  Most of all, enjoy the race and take time to stop and look around at what is going on.  I am sure other will chin in on the gear issue

Mike

2006-05-01 1:08 PM

It sounds like you are serious about getting into the sport and my advice would be to gear up seriously. The right gear will help your race and your head (if you look like a triathlete, you will feel like a triathlete, you will race...). A full sleeve wetsuit is definitely superior to a longjohn, and just the same to take off (practice getting it off). There are a lot of good varieties (QR, Orca, Blue Seventy/Ironman, etc.) and the advice to try it out is right on. Also get triathlon specific racing attire. Either a singlet or shorts/shirt combo will do, it is purely personal perference (except for non-wetsuit swims where singlets are better). Try them on, some people do not like singlets, some do. You can also get a million other things, but I would recommend, a race belt for your number, speed laces for your shoes, and body glide for your body.

Good luck. BTW, which races are you doing?
2006-05-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #411217

Mike...thanks for the great advice. I'll have to check out if anything in the area will rent me a suit or if I can borrow one from a friend. Practicing the transition areas is a great idea, I didn't know I had the option of doing that. I will definitely have to explore the site a bit more for other helpful info. Thanks again for your thoughts!

2006-05-01 2:37 PM
in reply to: #411284

I am serious about making tri's a consistant part of my life and so far, I've purchased top notch gear. I know what your saying about how the right gear can help my outlook and confidence. I'll really have to do a thorough search of the area to find stores that carry these things...so far I've only really seen online stores. What exactly are race belts and speed laces? I am doing the Greater Atlantic Multisport Series. One tri each month from May until Septemeber. Thanks for responding, this is a huge help.
2006-05-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: #411392

User image

Expert
Montreal

nickdowsk - 2006-05-01 3:31 PM Mike...thanks for the great advice. I'll have to check out if anything in the area will rent me a suit or if I can borrow one from a friend. Practicing the transition areas is a great idea, I didn't know I had the option of doing that. I will definitely have to explore the site a bit more for other helpful info. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Nick it's as easy as setting you transition up in your backyard or if you want to look really goofy , in the park. With your bathing suit on, run into your spot, Peel off your cap and goggles, and wetsuit, dry off, get your stuff on for the ride, run away with your bike, run back park your bike get your runners and ahead out again.  By practicing it you will find out the best arrangement for your stuff. Google triathlon videos.  I hit a site one the had small video clips that showed you how to set up your T1 and T2.  I know, I know a link would be good.

2006-05-01 3:23 PM
in reply to: #411419

Awesome. No need for a link...I'll search it out. I can definitely set up a mini transition area in my back hard. I wouldn't have thought of that unless you told me. I'll do it tomorrow and get back to you if I have any questions.
2006-05-01 4:37 PM

Nick, good luck, Piranha Sports puts on good races.

Speed laces - replace the laces on your running shoes in a way that does not need tying and is better for your foot (http://www.speedlaces.com/). There are a lot of different types they all generally work the same. Faster transitions, no laces coming untied and more comfortable.

Race belt - instead of pinning your race number on your shirt you put it on the belt and put the belt on in T2 (usually race numbers do not have to be worn on the bike). Advantages are you do not worry about the number getting soggy under your wetsuit (always have your shirt/singlet on for faster transitions), no annoying, flapping race number on the bike, more comfort on the run because it is not stuck on your stomach, and no putting holes in your expensive shirt/singlet. Also some belts have places for Gu, small flasks, etc.

Little things, but useful.
2006-05-02 11:28 AM
in reply to: #411534

Thanks for the good luck wish. Yeah, I heard piranha does a nice job. Great advice on the speed laces and belt. These are exactly the gems of info I am looking for. Both products make perfect sense. I will definitely purchase these items. Thanks again for the support!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for very first tri Rss Feed