General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming & Strength Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-13 9:50 PM

Subject: Swimming & Strength Training

Hi everyone! I was a swimmer for 12 years but haven't been swimming competitively for about a year and a half now. I am definitely a really strong swimmer though. I had to stop swimming because I tore my rotator cuff. 

I want to do a half ironman over the summer and was planning on swimming three times a week. I started thinking that I should maybe incorporate strength training into my plan since I lost so much upper body strength from surgery.

I am new to triathlons so I am not sure how often I should strength train or swim. Any suggestions?

2011-12-13 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3937637

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Swimming & Strength Training
Did you tear your rotator cuff through swimming? How old are you and where did you swim? The swim stroke taught to many young competitive swimmers is one that is very, very tough on the rotator cuff. Just last weekend I was with an ex-collegiate swimmer turned tri coach who was instructing on the pull. A mid 40 year old man said, "What should I do if that motion hurts my shoulder"..the coach's answer was, "You'll just have to try really hard". (which isn't an answer at all).

So... you many need to consider some changes to the old stroke that favor the rotator cuff more in order to avoid a repeat injury.

I did later, after the class approach the coach and make a suggestion on how he might change his collegiate approach for his "middle aged" athletes he's now coaching.

Edited by AdventureBear 2011-12-13 10:35 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming & Strength Training Rss Feed