General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy bike question--converting hybrid to roadie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-14 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Crazy bike question--converting hybrid to roadie?

Okay, I'm a complete bike ignoramous, but maybe I'd be laughed at less if I asked here than my local bike shop in the US:  Is it possible/safe to convert a hybrid into a closer approximation of a road bike, mainly by switching out the handlebars/cockpit/front thingy into a standard road setup with drops?  Not necessarily thinking about aerobars. Can one get road tires put on?

Why I'm asking: I'm signed up for a HIM this summer but my road bike lives in Vietnam. I can't afford to get it home and back--more than value of bike. I can't afford to and don't want to buy a road bike, even a used one, that will get used only a month or so a year for the forseeable future. I'm also a leery of riding a borrowed, rented, or newly purchased bike for that distance with little time to get used to handling it.

The course in question is very hilly (3000 foot ascent and descent in stages); not particularly technical, though. My hybrid was put together by a bike shop owner as his fast commuter bike, Jamis frame, lightweight with a carbon fork, high-end roadie gearing but typical MTB-type handlebars and knobby tires. It's super for climbing and I can keep up with roadies with no problem. I can ride it as fast as my roadie on the flats, even with the rough tires currently on it. I think it's actually a faster bike than my roadie....except on downhills, where it's the least aero thing imaginable. Coupled with my 115 pound size, we're a downhill disaster!  On this course, the descent is gradual and it's possible to pick up a lot of time going downhill, but not with THAT setup!  So, is it possible/safe to switch out the front? Wondering as the current handlebars do not appear to be part of the Jamis frame. Any advice appreciated! If a photo is needed I can post it this weekend. If doable I would have the "transplant" done as soon as possible so I can get in some time on it over winter break.

Edited by Hot Runner 2011-12-14 7:51 AM

2011-12-14 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3937874

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Crazy bike question--converting hybrid to roadie?
Maybe, a big maybe... Wheel size is most likely different that wheels for a road bike to start with.

Plus, by the time you've bought everything you need (wheels, stem, handlebars, shifters, saddle, etc.) you've spent at least as much as a good, used road bike... maybe even a brand new entry level road bije
2011-12-14 8:05 AM

User image

Virginia Beach

I see a couple of issues you will have to overcome. To put traditional drops on the bike you will require different shifter/brake levers. Most hydrids come with a MTB shifter set up. The geometry of the hybrid will be more upright that a road bike. This is going to put you into the wind much more. There is a plus side to the geometry as you mentioned, climbing will be more comfortable.

You could try a mustache type bar, that will accept the MTB shifters, and provide a more aero position.

2011-12-14 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh....so it's not just a matter of switching out handlebars?  I tried the used roadbike route last year and there just wasn't much available in my area; what there was was way, way beyond what I could justify for a bike I use maybe 4-6 weeks a year max. If it comes to that I'll just have to rent, or ride the hybrid and get laughed off the course! Not sure I'd know a "mustache type" bar if I saw it; will ask at the bike shop..

Edited by Hot Runner 2011-12-14 8:07 AM
2011-12-14 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3937903

Expert

Hot Runner - 2011-12-14 8:06 AMNot sure I'd know a "mustache type" bar if I saw it; will ask at the bike shop..

http://www.bikepartsmart.com/handlebar-road-alloy-tiki-26-0x515ccblack.html?utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=free_cse&utm_term=008-33627&utm_campaign=product

This is a mustache handlebar. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I7PRTM

This is a set of bullhorns.

http://www.amazon.com/Nirve-Cruiser-Bicycle-Handlebar-26-Inch/dp/B000QFOMBM/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1323872517&sr=1-19

And just for good measure these are Super Ape Hangers!!

Edited by 2453V 2011-12-14 8:22 AM
2011-12-14 9:50 AM

User image

Master

I converted a Giant FCR-A hybrid style fitness bike- to a roadie last year.

You will need handlebars, tape, brakes/shifters and possible cables.

Depending on the tires, you can get slicks, or ask the bike shop if it can take regular road tires. 

The most expensive item will be the brake/shifters. I found a set used for 100.00.

And time, or money, to get the change done.

That being said, i did my first two HIM's on this bike with the flat handlebars and a set of profile design clip on aerobars. Worked well enough.

I would say get some slick tires, try the aero bars and see how you feel.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crazy bike question--converting hybrid to roadie? Rss Feed