BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-03-28 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4113981

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
kenj - 2012-03-26 1:20 PM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-25 11:19 PM
kenj - 2012-03-22 12:48 PM

10 X 100's! Loads of fun, especially when my coach times it so if I am lucky I get 5 seconds rest for the last couple!  Have fun with these Carla!  Maybe you need your pup on deck! Wink

Ha, ha, ha Ken!!!  I'm not sure if my dog would be on deck on trying to race me in the 10 x 100's!!  She is good company for sure!

I like to swim with a pull buoy... and trained for two years with both buoy's and paddles.  My previous trainers wanted me to do it for strength... and now my current coach doesn't want me to use the buoy at all.

My thoughts are I swim with a wetsuit which provides buoyancy... so... not sure why there's always such a "HUFF" when I decide to do my sets with my buoy.  ::: Sigh::: 

I think the Swim TT is this week... I didn't look ahead... didn't want to burden my evening thinking about it!  Will post up when I do it... and I'll swim it, reluctantly, without the buoy! ~Carla

My swim coach cured me of my pull bouy addiction.  We do use it for certain drills, including the pull sets with and without paddles.  She also has me put it between my ankles for core work.  I do find I have become a better swimmer without it, but other hand I did complete 2 IM swims but in 2 years I was still swimming at the same pace.  So ask me again in November which is right!

Sorry to say, but I find it interesting that people need to use PB.  I bought one because it is supposed to be with the rest of the swim "toys".   After doing PB exercises, I find NO difference between swimming with a PB and without.   I think it's because I don't kick. 

Tried paddles, similar thing. Sure it helps me a little, but not much to make a dent. Plus - I literally broke one in half because the plastic got too soft from being in the car all summer...don't do it, and don't leave credit cards in the car when it's 110+ degrees...destroyed one of those too. :-)

I think mainly because when I swim, my whole body is literally level. I never have sinking legs.  I suspect that those who are much more muscular will sink...looks like i need to build more muscles!

2012-03-28 10:14 PM
in reply to: #4114230

User image

Master
Sin City
robingray_260 - 2012-03-26 3:47 PM

It seems my bike computer has died and need some advice.  I have a cateye double strada cordless and I THINK it is the sensor on the rear chainstay that is not working, but not absolutely sure.  I can get a new sensor for $50 or the same unit new for around $80.  Since I don't know for sure what is wrong it would really suck to buy the sensor and that wasn't the problem.  So leaning toward the new unit.

However, I have a Garmin 305 and was wondering if a bike sensor for it (I think they are also around $50) would be the way to go. Has anyone used a garmin bike sensor with their watch and if so did you like it?

This really sucks as my bike computer is only a 1 1/2 years old and can't afford to ugrade to the Garmin Edge or equivalent right now. 

I have Garmin 305, and been using it for 2 1/2 years, no problems! 

I'm assuming that you have the basic model...just the Garmin watch right?   Shop around, and you'll see many people are selling their Garmin Bike stuff due to people getting the 910.  Quick Releases, HM, and Speed/Cadence sensors and you'll be good to go.

I got the Quick Release because it's SO much easier to just unsnap the Garmin unit and put it on the velcro wristband for my runs.   Never felt that I needed the Edge because the 305 is more versatile than the Edge, especially when I want to use it for my Runs. 

I'm going to wear this one down before deciding on the next Garmin...if it ain't broke, why upgrade. :-D

2012-03-28 10:55 PM
in reply to: #4118106

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
CyborgQueen - 2012-03-28 10:14 PM

It seems my bike computer has died and need some advice.  I have a cateye double strada cordless and I THINK it is the sensor on the rear chainstay that is not working, but not absolutely sure.  I can get a new sensor for $50 or the same unit new for around $80.  Since I don't know for sure what is wrong it would really suck to buy the sensor and that wasn't the problem.  So leaning toward the new unit.

However, I have a Garmin 305 and was wondering if a bike sensor for it (I think they are also around $50) would be the way to go. Has anyone used a garmin bike sensor with their watch and if so did you like it?

This really sucks as my bike computer is only a 1 1/2 years old and can't afford to ugrade to the Garmin Edge or equivalent right now. 

I'm assuming that you have the basic model...just the Garmin watch right?   Shop around, and you'll see many people are selling their Garmin Bike stuff due to people getting the 910.  Quick Releases, HM, and Speed/Cadence sensors and you'll be good to go.

I got the Quick Release because it's SO much easier to just unsnap the Garmin unit and put it on the velcro wristband for my runs.   Never felt that I needed the Edge because the 305 is more versatile than the Edge, especially when I want to use it for my Runs. 

I'm going to wear this one down before deciding on the next Garmin...if it ain't broke, why upgrade. :-D

DJ- what is the quick release - is it a different version of the 305 or an add on?  My 305 has a plastic band and I am not sure I can mount it on my bike, but that might be sweet.

2012-03-29 4:52 AM
in reply to: #4118125

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-03-28 11:55 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-03-28 10:14 PM

DJ- what is the quick release - is it a different version of the 305 or an add on?  My 305 has a plastic band and I am not sure I can mount it on my bike, but that might be sweet.

The computer/watch part is the same but instead of the standard band there is a cloth type band that has a plastic clip that you snap the 305 into.  There is another plastic clip that you tie to the bars then you can clip it in there as well.  Works pretty good, although I will say that the 310 quick release is a little better.  I don't think it is very expensive either. 

2012-03-29 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4117535

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Well, I'm not anywhere close to being in Robin's class in the swim, but I am stoked about my improvement lately. I did an open water 1500M swim time trial this morning, and slipped in at 29:27. Last June, during my first-ever Oly tri, I struggled to finish at 40:20 for 1500M. At least I don't have to worry about drowning anymore... Sealed
2012-03-29 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4119823

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

sdswriter - 2012-03-29 7:26 PM Well, I'm not anywhere close to being in Robin's class in the swim, but I am stoked about my improvement lately. I did an open water 1500M swim time trial this morning, and slipped in at 29:27. Last June, during my first-ever Oly tri, I struggled to finish at 40:20 for 1500M. At least I don't have to worry about drowning anymore... Sealed

um excuse me... but that is rockin' it!  If only I could improve that much in either the bike or run (you pick) I would be ecstatic! A 1500 m TT sounds like pure hell. Awesome work!

2012-03-29 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Veteran
Georgia

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/162869021#.T3UR0xJyDDg.link

My bike ride I got in after work tonight..Almost Friday!!

2012-04-01 7:01 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Morning gang!  Quiet around here this weekend!  I was busy doing fun vacation things in Tampa, didn't have much computer time.  We moved up to Orlando for the next week.  I have been managing to get my running in and there is a pool here that has a 25 yard lane marked off so I will test my shoulder to see how it is doing. 

How is everyones weekend going?

2012-04-01 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4122913

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2012-04-01 8:01 AM

Morning gang!  Quiet around here this weekend!  I was busy doing fun vacation things in Tampa, didn't have much computer time.  We moved up to Orlando for the next week.  I have been managing to get my running in and there is a pool here that has a 25 yard lane marked off so I will test my shoulder to see how it is doing. 

Just finished my long run for the week - best one so far! Overall I'm feeling a little tired but not too bad.Thats nice they had a lane for you to swim in. Last time I was in Florida I had to swim around all the aqua-joggers that live in the private comunity that my wifes grand mother lives in. I finally gave up. Hows the shoulder feeling?

Edited by acv 2012-04-01 11:14 AM
2012-04-01 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4123027

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2012-04-01 10:21 AM
kenj - 2012-04-01 8:01 AM

Just finished my long run for the week - best one so far! Overall I'm feeling a little tired but not too bad.Thats nice they had a lane for you to swim in. Last time I was in Florida I had to swim around all the aqua-joggers that live in the private comunity that my wifes grand mother lives in. I finally gave up. Hows the shoulder feeling?

Nice job with the run Adam, always good confidence builder when the long run goes well.

I haven't tested the shoulder yet, still icing it and taking the advil.  My pt says if I swim to use the fins to take the pressure off the shoulder for now.  Might give it a try tomorrow or Tuesday.  Thanks for asking!

2012-04-01 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Great run Adam!!!!

Ken I hope your shoulder gets better fast

Doing good here in AK this weekend - an hour swim yesterday - now getting pumped up for a sufferfest video on the trainer. I have to wait til hubby gets off  as he has been on for 2 hours now - our crappy trainer sure is getting the miles in - just hoping it will break soonSealed  Tomorrow more bike and weights and a 6 min. run (not miles but minutes - foot is still improving yeah!)!

2012-04-01 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

double post - doh!

Edited by robingray_260 2012-04-01 2:40 PM
2012-04-01 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Just noticed that BT has posted requesting spring mentors - do you know what you are doing yet Ken?
2012-04-01 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hey guys and gals fixing to leave for Augusta National will be attending Monday's practice round for the Masters..I will be back in touch Tuesday. Hope everyone has a nice Monday!!
2012-04-01 8:16 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Adam. Great run man!

Shake n Bake have fun at Augusta! I'm a little spoiled with the western open in my back yard! Cog Hill is about 15 minutes from me. Great course!

I was a little weak this weekend. Focussing more on my run with the half mary being a month away. I did a really tough interval run Friday. Was wiped out from it. Skipped masters class Saturday with sinus issues AGAIN! Found out how tired my legs were after a short run with the wife and an attempt to do a 3 climb interval workout on the bike. I couldn't hold any numbers in the first couple minutes of the first interval and got frustrated and quit. Didn't feel so good about myself after that. I did do a long run that went pretty good today. Avg'd about an 8 min pace for 15.25 miles and it felt really good.
2012-04-02 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4123311

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-04-01 3:39 PM

Great run Adam!!!!

Ken I hope your shoulder gets better fast

Doing good here in AK this weekend - an hour swim yesterday - now getting pumped up for a sufferfest video on the trainer. I have to wait til hubby gets off  as he has been on for 2 hours now - our crappy trainer sure is getting the miles in - just hoping it will break soonSealed  Tomorrow more bike and weights and a 6 min. run (not miles but minutes - foot is still improving yeah!)!

Great work with the swim and bike Robin!  I am sure that the slow build on the run is a little frustrating, but it is the right thing to do!

2012-04-02 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4123429

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

shake-n-bake - 2012-04-01 5:35 PM Hey guys and gals fixing to leave for Augusta National will be attending Monday's practice round for the Masters..I will be back in touch Tuesday. Hope everyone has a nice Monday!!

Sounds like fun!  I have only been to one pro golf event.  It was the Ryder cup at Oak Hill quite a few years ago.  Unfortunately it rained so hard that day that it was tough to really enjoy it.  I hope you have a great time Tim!

2012-04-02 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4123692

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-04-01 9:16 PM Adam. Great run man!

Shake n Bake have fun at Augusta! I'm a little spoiled with the western open in my back yard! Cog Hill is about 15 minutes from me. Great course!

I was a little weak this weekend. Focussing more on my run with the half mary being a month away. I did a really tough interval run Friday. Was wiped out from it. Skipped masters class Saturday with sinus issues AGAIN! Found out how tired my legs were after a short run with the wife and an attempt to do a 3 climb interval workout on the bike. I couldn't hold any numbers in the first couple minutes of the first interval and got frustrated and quit. Didn't feel so good about myself after that. I did do a long run that went pretty good today. Avg'd about an 8 min pace for 15.25 miles and it felt really good.

I think you will be fine for the tri season focusing on the run this month as long as you don't totally abandon the bike and swim!  I have been on a forced run focus too, so I hope I am right! Wink

2012-04-02 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4123320

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

robingray_260 - 2012-04-01 3:44 PMJust noticed that BT has posted requesting spring mentors - do you know what you are doing yet Ken?

It looks like we have been archived.  I don't have a problem mentoring again as long as most of you come with me!  I am finding it tougher too keep up as my work and travel schedule has gotten much more demanding and I expect that to continue this year (it is mostly a good thing!).  But this group has been fairly easy as the conversations have just flowed along and it really wasn't a challenge to push the group.

I will post in the new mentor program and let you know where to find it.  Also, let me know here that you want to continue in the new one and I will hold a spot for you!

Edited by kenj 2012-04-02 7:38 AM
2012-04-02 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4124103

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2012-04-02 7:34 AM

robingray_260 - 2012-04-01 3:44 PMJust noticed that BT has posted requesting spring mentors - do you know what you are doing yet Ken?

It looks like we have been archived.  I don't have a problem mentoring again as long as most of you come with me!  I am finding it tougher too keep up as my work and travel schedule has gotten much more demanding and I expect that to continue this year (it is mostly a good thing!).  But this group has been fairly easy as the conversations have just flowed along and it really wasn't a challenge to push the group.

I will post in the new mentor program and let you know where to find it.  Also, let me know here that you want to continue in the new one and I will hold a spot for you!

I'll stay in for sure. Thanks Ken!
2012-04-02 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I'm in - love this group!!!!! Laughing 

Ken - thanks for all your work getting this group rolling, you do a great job and I really appreciate it!

Edited by robingray_260 2012-04-02 10:33 AM

2012-04-02 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4124512

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-04-02 11:32 AM

I'm in - love this group!!!!! Laughing 

Ken - thanks for all your work getting this group rolling, you do a great job and I really appreciate it!

The new group has gone live so if you don't mind, sign in over there when you can. I will keep an eye on it with my phone today. Hanging around a water park today!
2012-04-03 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4124653

User image

Expert
Thanks everyone for all the motivation. Work has also picked up for me and I haven't been on here much. I will lurk in the new group but probably not steal an official slot. Ken I hope to see you at the mussel man!
2012-04-06 6:24 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Just a reminder for those of you that may have missed it earlier, our group has moved to the new mentor groups.  We will have a handful of new members, but all of you are welcome and encouraged to join in.  It is shown as closed, but that is not to you folks!  I have truly enjoyed this group and hope you all join us, the season is only just beginning!

Here is a link to the new thread!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72