General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-12-19 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3943990

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: RE: What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread?
bdye101 - 2011-12-19 11:39 AM

I love people who say "I will never drink a regular coke. It has way too much sugar." Of course as they are saying this they are sucking down a sports drink full of sugar. Or the "I never eat a Big Mac." as they are wolfing down a Chili's salad that is covered in ranch dressing and has almost 3 times as many calories. Or the "that stuff is way too processed" crowd. Of course they are scooping some powder into a water bottle. How do you think that stuff became a powder? They process the crap out of it!

Fast food doesn't make people fat. Being lazy and sitting on your a$$ all day makes you fat.

Now I am all for making better choices, and trying to eat a healthy diet. But most people that dog fast food eat just as bad as people that do eat fast food. Take a look at your "recovery" drink mix. Or your granola bars. Or your healthy cereal. Most of those things are no different than a box of nuggets. Last month they had a recipe in Triathlete magazine for homemade granola bars. It had like 3 or 4 sticks of butter in it. I guarantee you someone made that at home to replace there egg mcmuffin. 

Totally agree that most restaraunt food, for me, is indistinguishable from fast food. The proportions that work for me are 1) large amount of fiber foods, fruits/veges, 2) moderate amounts of lean protein and healthy fats, 3) very small amounts of carbs, and try to go whole grain as much as possible. This is just as difficult to do at Applebee's as it is at McDonald's.

And you're right that sedentary lifestyle is a major contributor to obesity, but it still has a lot to do with diet. If you look at the sheer amount of kCal in restaraunt foods, it would be very difficult for even the most active lifestyle to overcome that. If I do the following McDonald's meal for lunch - Big Mac 590 kCal, large fries 487 kCal, large Coke 310 kCal - that is nearly 1400 kCal, easily enough to fuel a half marathon for a guy my size. So maybe if your thought is that people are going to run a 1/2 mary every afternoon after lunch, and another one after dinner, then sure, maybe you can make up for a McDonalds diet with increased activity. For most people, the simple math and amount of time in a day means they will not be able to eat typical fast food meals and serving sizes and work it off with exercise.

And obviously you are correct about a lot of sports drinks and recovery foods. I don't eat those either, for precisely the reasons you cite. In the Summer, I do use sports drinks during my actual workouts, which I dilute 2/3 with water. And I have used energy bite type foods when I am actually on my bike for very long rides. Otherwise, I try to avoid macronutrient dense foods completely, and that includes those that have "sports" in the marketing plan.

2011-12-19 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3943990

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
bdye101 - 2011-12-19 10:39 AM

I love people who say "I will never drink a regular coke. It has way too much sugar." Of course as they are saying this they are sucking down a sports drink full of sugar. 

You're comparing apples to oranges here (refined sugar/high fructose corn syrup vs. maltodextrin/dextrose/sucrose/protein blend), but that's a different discussion I think.

2011-12-19 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3943748

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
2453V - 2011-12-19 10:09 AM

Ok, I get it, Fast food is the route of all evil!  Its not food, its processed, its the equivalent of swallowing a cyanide pill.  Really???

Lets start with a BigMac.  Probably the quintessential fast food meal.

540 calories, 260 from fat.  So sure, one BigMac gives you 45% of your daily fat needs, and of that 10g or 50% your daily allowance of saturated fat.  There has been a lot of research recently that is starting to question how bad dietary fat and saturated animal fats specifically are for you when compared to more highly processed and liquid vegetable fats. 

Only 75mg of cholesterol, that's not so bad.  Again with many arguing that dietary cholesterol has less effect on human cholesterol level than previously thought.

1040mg of sodium, ok 43% your daily requirement.  Sure its salty.  But then so is your recovery drink.  How bad is this for you really?  Unless of course its making you thirsty enough to drink the supersized full sugar coke, so don't do that.

45 grams of worthless carbs, seeing as there are only 3 grams of fiber probably all from the lettuce,  9 grams of sugar.  I'm betting most of the carbs here are from the white flour bun.  But hey all you bagel eaters cant complain about this.  Your bagels are giving you plenty of fiber-less carbs.

Now the full sugar soda and such is a bigger issue, and you cant convince me that sugar substitute isn't just as bad.  Bit of sugar once in a while, sure, fine, but a 32oz coke?  That's going to mess with you!

So really whats so wrong with a bit of fast food?  I really do think its best not to eat it all the time, and to eat as much whole foods as possible, but really, is a bit of fast food as evil as people are portraying it? 

Now if the argument is against the fast food culture,  Drive up windows, super-sized meals, and general gluttony and sloth, that I understand, but I think its a slightly different issue than the food itself.

It's not horrible for you if you only eat it once in a while. Start eating that everyday and see what happens to your body... 

It's definitely a contributing factor as to why we are the fattest nation in the world. 

2011-12-19 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3944138

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I don't care enough to argue what other people do.  I do what's best for me.

For the record?  Taco Bell on occasion?  mmmmmmmm

2011-12-19 12:17 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have probably eaten as much or more fast food over the years than most.  With the comeback of McDonald's McRib which has been one of my all time favorites because I love BBQ sauce, I read this and just felt cheated and betrayed:

"Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, says Whet Moser at Chicago Magazine, citing a 1995 article by Robert Mandigo, a professor at the University of Nebraska. These parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together."

What I thought and had been advertised to me as a pork sandwich was pig guts.  I have recently read that their bacon is the same type of thing.  I still love fast food and eat it almost daily but not so much at McDonald's anymore.  They've gone too far.

2011-12-19 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3944188

New user
Connecticut Shore
popsracer - 2011-12-19 12:17 PM

I have probably eaten as much or more fast food over the years than most.  With the comeback of McDonald's McRib which has been one of my all time favorites because I love BBQ sauce, I read this and just felt cheated and betrayed:

"Pig innards and plenty of salt. Typically, "restructured meat product" includes pig bits like tripe, heart, and scalded stomach, says Whet Moser at Chicago Magazine, citing a 1995 article by Robert Mandigo, a professor at the University of Nebraska. These parts are cooked and blended with salt and water to extract salt-soluble proteins, which act as a "glue" that helps bind the reshaped meat together."

What I thought and had been advertised to me as a pork sandwich was pig guts.  I have recently read that their bacon is the same type of thing.  I still love fast food and eat it almost daily but not so much at McDonald's anymore.  They've gone too far.

That makes my choice to never eat one the wisest choice I have EVER made.

Except for the sauce.  I am sure a french chef made that for them somewhere.......or not.

2011-12-19 12:24 PM

User image

Elite
2453V - 2011-12-19 10:09 AM

Ok, I get it, Fast food is the route of all evil!  Its not food, its processed, its the equivalent of swallowing a cyanide pill.  Really???

Lets start with a BigMac.  Probably the quintessential fast food meal.

540 calories, 260 from fat.  So sure, one BigMac gives you 45% of your daily fat needs, and of that 10g or 50% your daily allowance of saturated fat.  There has been a lot of research recently that is starting to question how bad dietary fat and saturated animal fats specifically are for you when compared to more highly processed and liquid vegetable fats. 

Only 75mg of cholesterol, that's not so bad.  Again with many arguing that dietary cholesterol has less effect on human cholesterol level than previously thought.

1040mg of sodium, ok 43% your daily requirement.  Sure its salty.  But then so is your recovery drink.  How bad is this for you really?  Unless of course its making you thirsty enough to drink the supersized full sugar coke, so don't do that.

45 grams of worthless carbs, seeing as there are only 3 grams of fiber probably all from the lettuce,  9 grams of sugar.  I'm betting most of the carbs here are from the white flour bun.  But hey all you bagel eaters cant complain about this.  Your bagels are giving you plenty of fiber-less carbs.

Now the full sugar soda and such is a bigger issue, and you cant convince me that sugar substitute isn't just as bad.  Bit of sugar once in a while, sure, fine, but a 32oz coke?  That's going to mess with you!

So really whats so wrong with a bit of fast food?  I really do think its best not to eat it all the time, and to eat as much whole foods as possible, but really, is a bit of fast food as evil as people are portraying it? 

Now if the argument is against the fast food culture,  Drive up windows, super-sized meals, and general gluttony and sloth, that I understand, but I think its a slightly different issue than the food itself.

REad "FAst Food NAtion by Eric Schlosser sp? (not the movie)...you may feel  very different....it goes way beyong Fat, protein, carb  and calories.....lets talk about engineered food, flavor and color additives, acceptible fecal matter levels in beef (yes I did just say that) and many other issues why fast food is bad except for a few options...I cannot do the book justice on a thread like this but if you truly have an interest in it its worth reading.

2011-12-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3944202

Expert
Flapjack - 2011-12-19 12:22 PM

Except for the sauce.  I am sure a french chef made that for them somewhere.......or not.

That's the great thing about pigs, you can eat the whole thing, snout to foot!  Though I have to admit, McRib has always scared me a bit... Maybe if they called it somthing different, but come on, there are no bones in it, its not ribs!

2011-12-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3944211

New user
Connecticut Shore
2453V - 2011-12-19 12:27 PM
Flapjack - 2011-12-19 12:22 PM

That's the great thing about pigs, you can eat the whole thing, snout to foot!  Though I have to admit, McRib has always scared me a bit... Maybe if they called it somthing different, but come on, there are no bones in it, its not ribs!

Yeah Souse!

2011-12-19 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3944188

User image

Master
Albuquerque
popsracer - 2011-12-19 11:17 AM

Bacon IS pig guts...it's Pork Belly, in the US anyway

2011-12-19 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3944279

Expert
abqtj - 2011-12-19 12:51 PM
popsracer - 2011-12-19 11:17 AM

Bacon IS pig guts...it's Pork Belly, in the US anyway

I believe "guts" is reffering to organ meat, kidney, heart, liver, along with things like intestine and stomach.  In short everything found within the abdominal cavity of the animal.  And honestly all perfectly good food sources.  Best hotdogs come cased in pig intestine!  But bacon, which you correctly identify as coming from pork belly is not what I would consider "guts" it is the abdominal wall of the animal.  It is the section of meat and fat covering the lower half of the ribs and extending to the bottom of the animal where the carcase is usually halved.

2011-12-19 1:00 PM

User image

Master
PNW

I'm not sure why anyone would get upset if someone else answered that other thread with pure, blinding, white-hot hatred for fast food.  The question wasn't 'what should everyone eat?'.... it was 'what is YOUR opinion about fast food?'

My personal opinion is that fast food is not real food.  I make certain choices about my diet based on my own knowledge and experiences and my choices do not reflect on anyone else.  Those that take offense to someone else's choices probably really need to examine their own reasons why that is.

2011-12-19 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
I always crave Chik Fil A on Sundays, so its not an issue
2011-12-19 1:26 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I'm in the nothing wrong with it in great moderation camp, and also that the socio-cultural aspects of fast food are a different and vastly darker topic. The two can be difficult to separate.

And all this talk of fast food is REALLY making me want to pick up the phone and get fast food delivery from a nice piglet on a motorbike even though it's 3:30am here.

2011-12-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3943832

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
lisac957 - 2011-12-19 10:44 AM

Like Bryan said, it's all about choices. 
Do you order *just* a Big Mac and not the fries?

Large french fries are 500 calories (of carbs and fried fat), so your one meal just skyrocketed to more than 1,000 calories, even if you got that diet coke. Not to mention the quality of those calories. 

Knock yourself out, it's your choice.

The question is where am I going to get the other 3,000 Kcal I need to keep my weight where it is. 1,000 Kcal is a snack for some.   I am a believer in moderation. 

2011-12-19 2:00 PM

User image

NC

It's pronounced Le Big Mac.

2011-12-19 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Since I ran 22 miles this weekend (8 Sat., 14 Sun.) I can justify the QPC, Fries and Diet Coke that I had for lunch today.  And it tasted Good!
2011-12-19 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3944301

Expert
GLC1968 - 2011-12-19 1:00 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would get upset if someone else answered that other thread with pure, blinding, white-hot hatred for fast food.  The question wasn't 'what should everyone eat?'.... it was 'what is YOUR opinion about fast food?'

My personal opinion is that fast food is not real food.  I make certain choices about my diet based on my own knowledge and experiences and my choices do not reflect on anyone else.  Those that take offense to someone else's choices probably really need to examine their own reasons why that is.

I don't think its a matter of being upset when someone responds with "white-hot hatred" so much as the question, "wow, whats he so worked up about?  Am I missing something here? 

2011-12-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3944571

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
2453V - 2011-12-19 3:06 PM

I don't think its a matter of being upset when someone responds with "white-hot hatred" so much as the question, "wow, whats he so worked up about?  Am I missing something here? 

Well, as ratherbeswimming said back a few pages, the passionate response is most likely because the question was posted on a triathlon web site. Many triathletes are conscious of nutrition and how it affects their performance. So it's only natural that a lot of us on this web site are interested in healthy nutrition, or our version of it.

I mean, this site has an entire forum dedicated to "Tri'ing for weight loss" and another forum dedicated to "Nutrition" - think there is a correlation?

2011-12-19 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3944584

Expert
lisac957 - 2011-12-19 3:17 PM

Well, as ratherbeswimming said back a few pages, the passionate response is most likely because the question was posted on a triathlon web site. Many triathletes are conscious of nutrition and how it affects their performance. So it's only natural that a lot of us on this web site are interested in healthy nutrition, or our version of it.

I mean, this site has an entire forum dedicated to "Tri'ing for weight loss" and another forum dedicated to "Nutrition" - think there is a correlation?

I would think that that would result in more informed and detailed responses and less passionate ones however.  I have seen a number of posts in this forum that have gone into great detail about training and nutrition, some to the point that you would need a degree in biochemistry to follow along, but I find it interesting that on the topic of fast food there seem to be so many emotional responses.  I have done a fair amount of reading on nutrition and the more I read the more vagueness I find, the more contradiction, the more poorly conducted studies, and it leaves me hard pressed to really evaluate what the truth is.  I mean honestly have you ever tried to compute the data originally used in the China study?  How on earth could anyone ever form a conclusion from such a poorly conducted study?  Or the 18 publicly available studies on saturated fat the USDA used when issuing its 2010 nutritional guidelines?  One actually showed that saturated fat was good for you! I would assume in a group of people who were nutritionally concerned that the same issue would arise.  I am a firm believer that the more you know about all sides of any issue, the harder it is to be passionate about any one side.

It seems where nutrition is concerned, far more people are concerned about the illusion of nutrition than they are with the reality.

Edited by 2453V 2011-12-19 3:33 PM
2011-12-19 4:09 PM

User image

Pro

Here's my informed and detailed response:

That garbage makes me sick.  I don't eat it.

2011-12-19 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3944605

User image

Master
PNW
2453V - 2011-12-19 1:29 PM

I would think that that would result in more informed and detailed responses and less passionate ones however.  I have seen a number of posts in this forum that have gone into great detail about training and nutrition, some to the point that you would need a degree in biochemistry to follow along, but I find it interesting that on the topic of fast food there seem to be so many emotional responses.  I have done a fair amount of reading on nutrition and the more I read the more vagueness I find, the more contradiction, the more poorly conducted studies, and it leaves me hard pressed to really evaluate what the truth is.  I mean honestly have you ever tried to compute the data originally used in the China study?  How on earth could anyone ever form a conclusion from such a poorly conducted study?  Or the 18 publicly available studies on saturated fat the USDA used when issuing its 2010 nutritional guidelines?  One actually showed that saturated fat was good for you! I would assume in a group of people who were nutritionally concerned that the same issue would arise.  I am a firm believer that the more you know about all sides of any issue, the harder it is to be passionate about any one side.

It seems where nutrition is concerned, far more people are concerned about the illusion of nutrition than they are with the reality.

While I agree that it's important to have sound science to back up your claims (or passions) when you are trying to sell or convince someone of something.  But the thing is, that thread was specifically asking for purely opinion.  No one said 'tell me about whether or not I should eat at Micky D's', you know?

I will say that I've learned a lot about what one can and cannot say in conversation about diet and nutrition since going paleo last August.  You think BT members are passionate about fast food?  Try telling people that you are willingly giving up bread and see what happens! ;-)

2011-12-19 4:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
2453V - 2011-12-19 3:29 PM

Maybe it's because you don't need to be a rocket scientist/chemist/etc. to conclude that the majority of fast food is bad for you, and/or that it makes you feel bad. People don't (usually) continue to eat things that make them feel like crap.

A lot of people on this site have come from an overweight/bad habits background, and speak purely from experience. Which makes it emotionally-driven by nature.

2011-12-19 5:16 PM

Veteran
Indiana
2453V - 2011-12-19 4:29 PM

I would think that that would result in more informed and detailed responses and less passionate ones however.  I have seen a number of posts in this forum that have gone into great detail about training and nutrition, some to the point that you would need a degree in biochemistry to follow along, but I find it interesting that on the topic of fast food there seem to be so many emotional responses.  I have done a fair amount of reading on nutrition and the more I read the more vagueness I find, the more contradiction, the more poorly conducted studies, and it leaves me hard pressed to really evaluate what the truth is. 

Research studies are about generalizing - what works for most people. That is not always relevant to an individual's experiences. I know, personally, for me, that when I eat fast food I tend to over eat, and still crave more, and gain weight. It's been a long battle finding out what works for me and what doesn't. I don't need a study to tell me that my experiences do or do not apply to the majority of other people - I know that they apply to me.

I used to be 300 lbs, lost 85 and got a lot more fit. I know the behavior patterns that got me in trouble, and the patterns that helped me get out of trouble. It was in many ways a difficult process that I do not care to repeat.

So, yes, this is based on experimental science with a sample size of n = 1. I don't need to generalize to everyone else, because I'm not managing their diets.

2011-12-19 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3944696

User image

Master
PNW
lisac957 - 2011-12-19 2:19 PM
2453V - 2011-12-19 3:29 PM

Maybe it's because you don't need to be a rocket scientist/chemist/etc. to conclude that the majority of fast food is bad for you, and/or that it makes you feel bad. People don't (usually) continue to eat things that make them feel like crap.

A lot of people on this site have come from an overweight/bad habits background, and speak purely from experience. Which makes it emotionally-driven by nature.

The bolded is a VERY good point, too. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Rss Feed  

of 4