General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-12-19 9:09 AM

Expert
Subject: What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread?

Ok, I get it, Fast food is the route of all evil!  Its not food, its processed, its the equivalent of swallowing a cyanide pill.  Really???

Lets start with a BigMac.  Probably the quintessential fast food meal.

540 calories, 260 from fat.  So sure, one BigMac gives you 45% of your daily fat needs, and of that 10g or 50% your daily allowance of saturated fat.  There has been a lot of research recently that is starting to question how bad dietary fat and saturated animal fats specifically are for you when compared to more highly processed and liquid vegetable fats. 

Only 75mg of cholesterol, that's not so bad.  Again with many arguing that dietary cholesterol has less effect on human cholesterol level than previously thought.

1040mg of sodium, ok 43% your daily requirement.  Sure its salty.  But then so is your recovery drink.  How bad is this for you really?  Unless of course its making you thirsty enough to drink the supersized full sugar coke, so don't do that.

45 grams of worthless carbs, seeing as there are only 3 grams of fiber probably all from the lettuce,  9 grams of sugar.  I'm betting most of the carbs here are from the white flour bun.  But hey all you bagel eaters cant complain about this.  Your bagels are giving you plenty of fiber-less carbs.

Now the full sugar soda and such is a bigger issue, and you cant convince me that sugar substitute isn't just as bad.  Bit of sugar once in a while, sure, fine, but a 32oz coke?  That's going to mess with you!

So really whats so wrong with a bit of fast food?  I really do think its best not to eat it all the time, and to eat as much whole foods as possible, but really, is a bit of fast food as evil as people are portraying it? 

Now if the argument is against the fast food culture,  Drive up windows, super-sized meals, and general gluttony and sloth, that I understand, but I think its a slightly different issue than the food itself.

2011-12-19 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3943748

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: RE: What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread?

For me, it's not the food itself, it's the way I use (abuse) it. It's too easy to get more than I need and wolf it down; it's gone before I was ever aware of eating. Also, the high glycemic carbs make me initially sleepy, then hungry again in 45 minutes.

For a healthy meal, I need: 1) some prep time and chewing time, so my brain registers "yes I am eating" 2) plenty of bulk/fiber, so my belly registers the fact that I ate, 3) food that converts to sugar s-l-o-w-l-y so I don't get peaks and troughs, 4) high HDL low LDL fats, to help with my lipid profile. Fast food is the 180 degrees polar opposite of these needs.

2011-12-19 9:32 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Maybe it's not just the bad things fast food has, which you attempt to justify, but the good things that it doesn't. You touched on the lack of dietary fiber. What about vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients?
2011-12-19 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I'm sure you can find a somewhat healthy option at any fast food franchise but it really is simply a question of choice. Thefre are certainly better choices someone can make with a modicum of effort.
2011-12-19 9:44 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Like Bryan said, it's all about choices. 
Do you order *just* a Big Mac and not the fries?

Large french fries are 500 calories (of carbs and fried fat), so your one meal just skyrocketed to more than 1,000 calories, even if you got that diet coke. Not to mention the quality of those calories. 

Knock yourself out, it's your choice.

2011-12-19 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
...because it's posted in a forum that is mainly for athletes - who are generally somewhat health-concious?

2011-12-19 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3943806

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

bryancd - 2011-12-19 10:35 AM I'm sure you can find a somewhat healthy option at any fast food franchise but it really is simply a question of choice. Thefre are certainly better choices someone can make with a modicum of effort.

That pretty much sums it up, IMO.  I didn't read the other thread, but I often hear people make the 'convenience' argument for a lot of poor food choices ('poor' compared to what they could be choosing).  I don't buy it.  How hard is it to walk into a grocery store and purchase an apple?  (Question not directed towards anybody in particular...)

2011-12-19 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

It really comes down to moderation, self control, etc. etc. etc.  I've heard comments like "gross" in that other thread but really, a double/double, fries and a shake from In N Out burger?  No friggin' way that tastes gross!

I think maybe some treat fast food like drinking and/or smoking.  Once you quit, you don't want to take that first drink or puff.

2011-12-19 9:52 AM

Veteran

Okay, first of all, "root" of all evil.  Sorry, I have to be that guy.  Pet peeve.

Second, you say several times "some say" "some would argue" etc.  Please back up your assertions.  These are exactly the sort of phrases they use on certain "news" stations named after mammals to make totally unsupported assertions.  Another pet peeve.  I'm not necessarily doubting the info, but making the assertions without backup seems lacking.

I also agree with the above that although they may not kill you, they certainly don't have what you need to be healthy in the long run.  Of course, I'm guilty of treats, as are most people I'd guess, but I try to keep it in moderation.  Except good beer.  You saw Supersize Me, right?

2011-12-19 9:58 AM

User image

Pro
2453V - 2011-12-19 9:09 AM

Ok, I get it, Fast food is the route of all evil!  Its not food, its processed, its the equivalent of swallowing a cyanide pill.  Really???

Lets start with a BigMac.  Probably the quintessential fast food meal.

540 calories, 260 from fat.  So sure, one BigMac gives you 45% of your daily fat needs, and of that 10g or 50% your daily allowance of saturated fat.  There has been a lot of research recently that is starting to question how bad dietary fat and saturated animal fats specifically are for you when compared to more highly processed and liquid vegetable fats. 

Only 75mg of cholesterol, that's not so bad.  Again with many arguing that dietary cholesterol has less effect on human cholesterol level than previously thought.

1040mg of sodium, ok 43% your daily requirement.  Sure its salty.  But then so is your recovery drink.  How bad is this for you really?  Unless of course its making you thirsty enough to drink the supersized full sugar coke, so don't do that.

45 grams of worthless carbs, seeing as there are only 3 grams of fiber probably all from the lettuce,  9 grams of sugar.  I'm betting most of the carbs here are from the white flour bun.  But hey all you bagel eaters cant complain about this.  Your bagels are giving you plenty of fiber-less carbs.

Now the full sugar soda and such is a bigger issue, and you cant convince me that sugar substitute isn't just as bad.  Bit of sugar once in a while, sure, fine, but a 32oz coke?  That's going to mess with you!

So really whats so wrong with a bit of fast food?  I really do think its best not to eat it all the time, and to eat as much whole foods as possible, but really, is a bit of fast food as evil as people are portraying it? 

Now if the argument is against the fast food culture,  Drive up windows, super-sized meals, and general gluttony and sloth, that I understand, but I think its a slightly different issue than the food itself.

I'm not eating any of that crap.....it tastes bad and it smells bad.  I'm on the "if it ain't food I ain't eating it" diet, and have been for years.  Fruit, vegetables, nuts, beans, brown rice, meat, fish, and fowl...heavy on the fish and fowl...but I love a good steak at least once a week.  I'm just not eating junk, and I'm not eating any white flour, and I'm not drinking a single soda.  I love beer.....I should have included it in with the other food.  I get my fat from Olives, olive oil, and almonds.  I don't eat processed foods of any type.  I want good food, prepared well, that helps keep me fueled while I train.  Eat all the Big macs you want, I truly don't care, but I'm not ever eating one.

2011-12-19 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

My thoughts?

It comes down to HOW OFTEN you do such things. Once in a while? It's not going to pile on a bunch of fat or give you a heart attack.

2011-12-19 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3943845

New user
Connecticut Shore
Experior - 2011-12-19 9:47 AM

bryancd - 2011-12-19 10:35 AM I'm sure you can find a somewhat healthy option at any fast food franchise but it really is simply a question of choice. Thefre are certainly better choices someone can make with a modicum of effort.

That pretty much sums it up, IMO.  I didn't read the other thread, but I often hear people make the 'convenience' argument for a lot of poor food choices ('poor' compared to what they could be choosing).  I don't buy it.  How hard is it to walk into a grocery store and purchase an apple?  (Question not directed towards anybody in particular...)

Harder than going through the drive through and getting the double double with a Thirsty Two Oz "Shake".  Most people won't even walk in to get a burger.  Who's gonna walk to get an apple? LOL

On what planet does 32 Oz milkshake with one straw make any sense?  In my worst days I never went there.  That's some special kind of thing.

Perfection is not an option in my life.  I have been through a lot of ups and downs.  Some food choices will be better than others, and that's okay.  It has to be.  I will not make food the deciding factor in my life.  If that means going to Olive Garden with my wife and quietly eating some nasty oil covered pasta, so be it.  I will smile and enjoy.

2011-12-19 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's not going to kill you to have a Big Mac every once in a while.  Be honest about what you're putting into your body though (the fat, sodium, and lack of fiber and nutriets is a turn off for me).  IMO, a Big Mac isn't even food.  It's fake food to be eaten when there are no other options.  There's something that feels really good about making your own burger and slapping it on the grill.  Actually tastes good, too.  Minimal amount of cooking prep time.   

2011-12-19 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3943886

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Left Brain - 2011-12-19 10:58 AM

I'm not eating any of that crap.....it tastes bad and it smells bad.  I'm on the "if it ain't food I ain't eating it" diet, and have been for years.  Fruit, vegetables, nuts, beans, brown rice, meat, fish, and fowl...heavy on the fish and fowl...but I love a good steak at least once a week.  I'm just not eating junk, and I'm not eating any white flour, and I'm not drinking a single soda.  I love beer.....I should have included it in with the other food.  I get my fat from Olives, olive oil, and almonds.  I don't eat processed foods of any type.  I want good food, prepared well, that helps keep me fueled while I train.  Eat all the Big macs you want, I truly don't care, but I'm not ever eating one.

Wow, you're perfect.  Congrats. 

2011-12-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3943916

User image

Pro
RVachon - 2011-12-19 10:13 AM

Wow, you're perfect.  Congrats. 

When it comes to what I put in my body, you're damn right I am.  I save my faults for other areas.Laughing

2011-12-19 10:19 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs

Moderation.

I enjoy chik fil a once every few weeks. Delicious.

I don't eat fast food every day, or once a week, or even once every couple weeks... but I don't think that enjoying a Big Mac/ fries/ nuggets/ etc. every so often will do that much damage.

YMMV

2011-12-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3943886

User image

Pro
Burbs

To you, maybe I think McDonalds french fries smell and taste delicious !

2011-12-19 10:24 AM

Expert

I'm not trying to make the case that fast food is good for you.  Just that perhaps its not as bad as people make it out to be.  Also when being compared to other foods people don't even question.  Ever looked at how much fat is in yogurt, or sugar in low fat yogurt?  Look at the GI of a bagel or an English muffin compared to a burger bun.  And unless you buy the all natural peanut butter the stuff is loaded with hydrogenated oil.  I'm just saying perhaps there is a lot more to this than fast food = BAD, grocery store food = GOOD.

Like I said in my first post I really do think that a diet of whole foods, meat, veggies, fruit, grain, dairy, ect in its unprocessed form and prepared into meals is the best for you, but that would exclude just about every boxed item in the grocery store along with fast food.  Hell I couldn't find a jar of dry roasted peanuts the other day that didn't contain HFCS!

As for sources on the comments I made, they are all things I have read from multiple sources but did not bookmark and would have to look up again if I wanted to post them, so if you don't care move on, if you want to take my word for it, go for it, and if you want to know more, ask Google because that's what I would have to do to try and find them again.

2011-12-19 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario

I just read the first 5-6 entries in that other thread.  Also, anyone that's high and mighty on the "whole foods" thing, unless you're growing your own garden, and raising your own farm animals for consumption, your eating a load of pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics, etc..  Is that any better for you?

And before anyone comes back with the "I only buy organic" card, I don't believe that organic crap for a minute.  Unless they can prove to me 100% that those items contain none of the above chemicals, then I ain't spending 30% for them.  I don't believe the controls are too tight on governing the "organic" title.

Also, I'm not advocating eating fast food, I simply saying that people that shun it, are being somewhat hypocritical.

By the way, I may eat it once or twice a month, and guess what; my blood work is normal and I rarely get sick.

2011-12-19 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

A voice of reason!

Whether food is fast or slow has no relevance in it's nutritional content.

Your body breaks down everything you eat in to the basic macronutrients, so that's all that really matters.  And triathletes are well advised to eat carbohydrates.  Even simple carbs.  Unless you are fighting obesity or high cholesterol then simple carbs are not a problem and fats are not a problem.

Do you all know that you need cholesterol for cell wall repair?

and sodium... the same people that pop sodium tabs in races and look for it in their sports drinks have no business complaining about it in their food.  Besides, your body has a natural mechanism to get rid of excess.  You could eat spoonfuls of salt all day long if you wanted to as long as you don't suffer from hypertension.

2011-12-19 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3943943

User image

Pro
RVachon - 2011-12-19 10:25 AM

I just read the first 5-6 entries in that other thread.  Also, anyone that's high and mighty on the "whole foods" thing, unless you're growing your own garden, and raising your own farm animals for consumption, your eating a load of pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics, etc..  Is that any better for you?

And before anyone comes back with the "I only buy organic" card, I don't believe that organic crap for a minute.  Unless they can prove to me 100% that those items contain none of the above chemicals, then I ain't spending 30% for them.  I don't believe the controls are too tight on governing the "organic" title.

Also, I'm not advocating eating fast food, I simply saying that people that shun it, are being somewhat hypocritical.

By the way, I may eat it once or twice a month, and guess what; my blood work is normal and I rarely get sick.

Wow, you're perfect. Congrats. Laughing

Edited by Left Brain 2011-12-19 10:29 AM

2011-12-19 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Albuquerque

I was thinking about this just yesterday. I think most people equate places with a drive thru window as being "bad" for them, but like was said earlier, it's all about choices.

Don't kid yourself and think that if you eat at a sit-down restaurant it's any better. Many times it's MUCH worse, actually, nutrition-wise. 

Oh, and I'm no saint. I subscribe to the everything in moderation school of thought, even fast food. Love me some McD's! Just don't eat it daily.

One other thing, I think society uses many of the drive thru places as a "snack" food too often. They'll swing through and get a cheeseburger and fries, then eat a normal meal a few hours later...THAT is terrible for you.

2011-12-19 10:39 AM

Veteran
Fort Worth, Texas

I love people who say "I will never drink a regular coke. It has way too much sugar." Of course as they are saying this they are sucking down a sports drink full of sugar. Or the "I never eat a Big Mac." as they are wolfing down a Chili's salad that is covered in ranch dressing and has almost 3 times as many calories. Or the "that stuff is way too processed" crowd. Of course they are scooping some powder into a water bottle. How do you think that stuff became a powder? They process the crap out of it!

Fast food doesn't make people fat. Being lazy and sitting on your a$$ all day makes you fat.

Now I am all for making better choices, and trying to eat a healthy diet. But most people that dog fast food eat just as bad as people that do eat fast food. Take a look at your "recovery" drink mix. Or your granola bars. Or your healthy cereal. Most of those things are no different than a box of nuggets. Last month they had a recipe in Triathlete magazine for homemade granola bars. It had like 3 or 4 sticks of butter in it. I guarantee you someone made that at home to replace there egg mcmuffin. 

2011-12-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3943943

Veteran
Indiana
RVachon - 2011-12-19 11:25 AM

For me, this is not about some kind of "diet purity standard" or wanting to feel superior to others. It is all about the way I interact with different kinds of food - it's about my behavior. When I eat fast food, I tend to eat too much and don't feel satisfied, and wind up craving more. Over-eating is a struggle for me, and fast food just triggers a lot of behaviors in me that I am better off avoiding.

The organic label has nothing to do with it - I don't gorge myself on apples, whether they're "organic" or not; I eat them sensibly. I suppose I could go to Whole Wallet and get a free range bison burger and french fries made from organic potatoes and a milk shake from grass fed free range cows and sweetened with cane juice - I would probably wind up overeating that and craving more, despite its 'organic' label of purity.

Whatever works for you is fine. I am saying that fast food does not work for me.

2011-12-19 10:43 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Rss Feed  

of 4