Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2011-12-24 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3944639

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
Subject: RE: THE SLAYER RULES-open

Name:  Dave – 29 yrs old as of today, so Im jumping into the big boy AG in 2012.  Birthday run was an 8.7 mile trail run in the 25 degree wonderfulness.

Story: This will be my 4th year of tris.  I played baseball through college until I couldn’t pick my arm up anymore and got lucky to fall into triathlon.  A couple years of lifting after college, and my girlfriend (now wife) blew out her knee (acl, plc and meniscus, had to have it done a second time with cadaver parts).  The road to her recovery started with swimming and moved into biking, and finally running again.  And so the habit began for both of us.  We’re now living in Northern Virginia, which is a lot better for the tri habit than Upstate New York.

Tri History good and bad:  Had some highs and lows the last couple years as I got up to the 70.3 distance.  I didn’t have the base I really needed for the first couple races and died on the runs.  This past year was a crazy one, got married and bought a house to go along with the race schedule.  I raced well but wasn’t able to get to the starting line as much as I would have liked. 

Tri plans for now and future:  Im only signed up for Eagleman right now, also looking at Rev3 SC for my second A race.  Will mix in a couple more tris as they fit in, plus a couple half marathons early and possibly an end of year marathon.  The goal is to break 5hrs at Eagleman.

Weight or other body issues of importance and what you are doing to deal with it: no real issues

Questions you would like to have addressed:  Last year I got the run monkey off my back, finishing they Syracuse 70.3 feeling great.  This off season, Im really focusing on getting my bike stronger.  This is also be my first off season training with power so Im hoping for big things.  I could also get stronger with my nutrition, not so much race day, but during all of my training.  I tend to be underprepared for my daily workouts which has to have an impact on my overall success, but I just haven’t put the time into really learning what my body responds to best.

2011-12-25 4:41 AM

User image

Happy christmas everyone
2011-12-25 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK

Happy Christmas, hope you're all having fun and getting some peace at this lovely time of year. I've done my Parkrun 5k and I think got a PB which was a great start to the day! Cool

2011-12-25 7:07 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: THE SLAYER RULES-CLOsED for xmas
Happy Xmas to my brother and sister Slayers! Way to kick butt Kate. Very nice to PR. I thumb typed a long message but my iPhone shut down and lost it before posting but the point of it was: 1. Nutrition is up for discussion. 2. You will go faster if you are lighter. 3. I have chose to race heavier against coaching advice because that's more of a motivator to me. 4. Be careful over this week so you'll have less damage to undo if you are losing weight. Keep at it y'all! I'm going for a run along the Hudson River in NYC soon. Make each day count. EDIT TO ADD: we are full now

Edited by phatknot 2011-12-25 7:10 AM
2011-12-25 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran

Merry Christmas people and a happy new year. May it be full of success and joy. Take care of yourself and your close ones.

Will add y'all to my friends list. Can we get the full list once again, complete?

2011-12-25 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran

Merry Xmas everyone! Sounds like a good mix for this group.

Just thought I would post my Xmas day workout:

10K trail run at Rouge Valley with my good buddy Robert. We got lost twice hence the 90minutes it took. Temperature was about 0C, but since we were in trails the wind was not an issue. Some ice in place, and the edge of the rouge river was icy, but so far we haven't had any snow so no major issues.

Now I feel I am ready for Turkey this afternoon.

Have a great day all.

2011-12-25 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
NAME: Tom

STORY: Married, Daughter live just outside Albany, NY. Started Tri's after spectating IMLP years ago and completed IMLP 08 and training for IMFL 09 had very bad bike crash and sidelined.

CURRENT TRAINING: NONE....starting from scratch and want to complete IMFL 2013

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None

2012 RACES: Hopefully Marine Corps Marathon in October and Montreal or Mussleman HIM few other local TRi's just for fun.

Plans: Get back to consistant training...started my own business and been a slug for last 1.5 years. Need to get back to training and feeling better about myself.

Weight: Oh where to begin, I have probably gained about 40 pounds since my accident and know I have to forget what I used to be able to complete (100 mile bike on Saturdays 18 - 20 mile runs on Sundays) and just start run/walking and get out there.

2011-12-25 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice PR Kate!

Slayer: I bought a lot of my TRI gear from All 3 sports in Atlanta...nice to see they sponser you.

Merry Christmas Everyone!! Heading out to do a run/walk with the wife shortly. Need to bundle up as looks windy and cold out there this morning.

Please post a final tally of all members in our family/group so we can add them to our friends list and inspire. Thanks!

2011-12-25 10:54 AM

User image

Master

Looks like a great group. There appears to be a strong interest in the Long distance (HIM, IM) which is not surprising with the popularity of Half marathons and 70.3s.  The group looks like this:

pschriver

nerdjock

littlewj

silverback25

vibrafingp00

BuildTheMachine

Kate_r

Scottyr7

hoale1985

richtherunner

runlikeagirrl

jbyse

drgdclark

TC117

Gladiador

Again if I left somebody out let me know. It was not on purpose

2011-12-25 11:20 AM

User image

Master

Merry Christmas everyone. I watched the kids open their gifts and then snuck down to the basement for my first bike ride in a couple of months. I retired my bike to really put in some good base training with my running. I had even considered running a marathon in the spring but there is a great HIM in Charleston SC which really fits my interest and schedule better. My wife is currently re-modeling the house and kicked my bike trainer out of the living room down into the basement. I really prefer to ride outside but have found that I can really focus my efforts on a trainer. Besides a good trainer the second piece of equipment that has really helped is a power meter. That in combination with Spinnervals (Training Videos) have been invaluable.

I researched power meters a lot and have tried several different options. I now have a wired powertap which I can use both inside and out but does not have race wheels. I feel this is a very economical approach. This is a summery of cost for my set-up:

Used wired Powertap (E-bay)                                         $200

Golden Cheetah software                                                 free download

Trainer tire                                                                           Used rejects Free

32" HDMI LED TV                                                              $220 NewEgg

HDMI video card  with cable                                             $20 NewEgg

Used computer   Ubuntu OS                                               Free

HandBrake (for converting the videos to digital media) Free download

Spinnerval videos                                                                 $10-30 used or new

(new2.jpg)

(new4.jpg)

(New1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
new2.jpg (58KB - 10 downloads)
new4.jpg (62KB - 5 downloads)
New1.jpg (53KB - 9 downloads)
2011-12-25 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Can't seem to accept everyone on my friend's list. Is there a catch to modify some settings?

2011-12-25 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3953313

User image

Master

Gladiador - 2011-12-25 1:40 PM Can't seem to accept everyone on my friend's list. Is there a catch to modify some settings?

As long as you haven't exceeded 60 people it should not be a problem.

2011-12-25 12:55 PM

User image

Master

It looks like the first topic is nutrition. It would be great if everyone steps up and offers their opinions. Nutrition is a very controversial topic. I have always felt that the most controversial topics probably don't really matter. Nutrition is important both for every day survival and endurance training.

I think the topic needs to broken down into 3 parts:

Everyday nutrition. I eat "clean" I try to get food as unprocessed as possible, high in protein, low fat "never fried" no sodas and minimal empty calories (alcohol)

Training nutrition: High carbs to keep up with my energy expenditure. Electrolytes to replace sweat. Protein for recovery.

Race day: Carbs to the extent my gut can tolerate.  

2011-12-25 1:35 PM

User image

Looking back my diet was one of the contributing factors in my failure in frankfurt.

I was of the feeling that once i'd done a hard training session i could pig out and eat whatever i wanted . This did me no favours. I went into the race heavier than i'd wanted to be. Pulling 225lb up climbs on the bike gets ugly.

I will be concentrating a lot more time into planning my diet to help get the best out of my training thus helping me come race day.

2011-12-25 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

Ever day nutrition: I eat pretty much paleo/primal. No processed foods, no grains. Lots of meat and fruits and vegetables. Focus on good carbs like yams after training. Really love this way of eating. Finally got rid of the insomnia and GERD that had been plaguing me for years.

Long training rides or races: infinit. Love this stuff! I take in 228 calories per hour, mostly carbs, a little protein. Occasional snacks if I need to chew on something.

Long runs: only water if less than 9 miles. If over, a gel every 4 miles and water, occasional sports drink.

I've been a bit lazy in this area for the past couple of weeks...and the insomnia and GERD are threatening a come back. Time to get back on it!

Edited by nerdjock 2011-12-25 2:08 PM
2011-12-25 4:31 PM

User image

Elite
SE
We have PhDs and MDs here telling us how to eat so how can you argue that? I am the worse mentor around nutrition because basically I think the key is to feel full of hydration and tasty balanced foods with less fiber on pre big days. I eat packaged crap regularly and I love craft beer. In fact I think it helps me out. Race day is liquids only with carbopro and EFS powder, and salt tabs if its hot. Of course if I could get to 3.3 watts per kg from 2.9 (a drop of 30lbs) I might could be in the KQ vicinity. But it's just not that much a priority.On another note, I am going to be responding to each of your bios early in the new year. After you talk your nutrition, let me know if there are specific mentor type questions you want me/us to address. Finally I got 10.32 mi along the Hudson river this am and broke 2000 mi for the year! Next year hoping for 2200.

2011-12-25 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran

Nutrition is for me very important topic. I wish I would have success in keeping it up with my planned habits, but sometimes it's simply not the case. However

Everyday's ideal way: trying to keep the low glycemic index carbs in combination with high quality proteins. Taking snacks throughout the day. In that way an athlete's body is covered with enough energy. High calorie meals (above let's say 700kcal) make me go sluggish and often get back in negative way.  I cannot train properly.

Training nutrition: On 6+miles run I always have some honey bags in my pocket, as they are convenient. Never tried gels. Bars (I tried) make me somehow more thirsty and dry my mouth. I usually always have a post workout meal with protein powder and simple carbs.  It makes me feel recover faster. I found out however, that simple carbs in the evening workouts contribute to my insomnia cases, so I have to be careful how/what to choose the best solution every time.  

During the races I try to drink on every station. I found more fuelling during the race resulted with better overall performance. My races so far involved runs...fruits turned out to be very helpful as they provide liquid, electrolytes and nutrients. When body is exhausted, simple carbs of course, as well as during the demanding training session.

Considering the diet, there are no rules to what a certain body can manage. An individual should know the best by searching an ideal formula during the preparation phases.  

2011-12-25 4:49 PM

Subject: Nutrition
As far as dieting I can say that I know near nothing in what is best for you withstanding the obvious, processed meats, packaged food ect. However about 3 months ago I have been incorporating a vegan diet. With that being said, I don't skip anything I want to eat I.e. steak, occasional burger. Ave read a few books and articles in the matter and have come to the conclusion it depends on each individual. Would like to hear from others experience what to have morning of race and night before as well as nutrition during a race. Thanks.
2011-12-25 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3953437

User image

Veteran

phatknot - 2011-12-25 11:31 PM  I am going to be responding to each of your bios early in the new year.

I tend to log my workouts once a week. How often do you plan to keep up with your mentees' logs, to give your opinion or pathway which way to go?

2011-12-25 5:32 PM
in reply to: #3953455

User image

Elite
SE
Depends on how much time I have but I try to check in every few days and go by a weekday AND weekend summary here. You see it saves us all time to post on those parameters rather than each inspiring each person. However I am willing to answer detailed questions here if itll help the group and encourage discussion. I hate being limited by phone and time at the moment but that's what it is until I'm home and back in the routine. I'm digging the group though.

Edited by phatknot 2011-12-25 5:33 PM
2011-12-25 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
I agree.

2011-12-25 6:41 PM

User image

Master

Log daily and don't forget to mention how you are feeling or what you have planned. Real time is a great benefit to the group. We all have anxieties to overcome. The rough workouts hurt the elite athletes as much as they do us. A smiley face or inspire can work wonders. We all need to set reasonable goals and hit them.

T1 Diabetes and endurance is a whole topic in itself. Electrolyte balance and blood sugar control is different.  Some athletes consider the ability to adjust their own insulin level to be a benefit. You can use you own intrinsic glucagon  level to your advantage.

Do to my lack of success in the past I am better at giving advice as to what not to do.

Pre- race I like a Belgian waffle, strawberries and a scoop of ice cream 4 hour before. Gel as I'm freaking out about jumping in cold water. Payday candy bar at 1hour on the bike, peanut butter crackers at hour 2 and a gel as I am ready to dismount. Run is water or sport drink as needed.

I personally think the idea of carb loading is over-rated. Wolfing down pasta the night before a race is over-rated. It won't give you any magic strength the next day.  It is merely a social event.

I personally try to find the nicest seafood place in town the night before a race. I learned recently that lamb chops work better than veal chops but that may still be up for debate.

Edited to explain what not to do

Nothing new on race day: No magic gel or drink is going to make you faster. It will only hurt you.

People do not "Bonk" on short course races due to lack of nutrition. It is lack of training.

It is a race not a buffet, get off the course and than gorge. Don' gorge and then try and race

Edited by pschriver 2011-12-25 6:47 PM
2011-12-25 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3953525

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
pschriver - 2011-12-25 4:41 PM

I personally think the idea of carb loading is over-rated. Wolfing down pasta the night before a race is over-rated. It won't give you any magic strength the next day.  It is merely a social event.

I personally try to find the nicest seafood place in town the night before a race. I learned recently that lamb chops work better than veal chops but that may still be up for debate.

Completely agree about the carb loading.  Your body can only store so much carbohydrate energy (like 60-90 minutes worth)...not 15 plates of pasta worth.  Before races, I eat mini powdered sugar donuts, which I never, ever eat otherwise.  For some reason, I love them before races and I can actually eat them.  My stomach doesn't want major food right before a race.

Regarding the lamb chops, I'm going to be trying that before Vineman.  I think beer and wine are great for training and the night before the race.  Not going to give up that vice. Innocent 

This group seems awesome! We're all going to accomplish great things this season!

2011-12-25 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3953584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
nerdjock - 2011-12-25 9:23 PM
pschriver - 2011-12-25 4:41 PM

Completely agree about the carb loading.  Your body can only store so much carbohydrate energy (like 60-90 minutes worth)...not 15 plates of pasta worth.  Before races, I eat mini powdered sugar donuts, which I never, ever eat otherwise.  For some reason, I love them before races and I can actually eat them.  My stomach doesn't want major food right before a race.

Regarding the lamb chops, I'm going to be trying that before Vineman.  I think beer and wine are great for training and the night before the race.  Not going to give up that vice. Innocent 

This group seems awesome! We're all going to accomplish great things this season!

I have found lately that pre-race for me a small very lean cut of meat with some sort of carbs works best for me. Something like a filet and potato. 

My one comment on nutrition. I have only done one 70.3 and my plan was one bottle of concentrated Infinit (about 250 cals per hour) on the bike. For the run I lived off the course. Sports drink and water at aid stations. I try and make things as simple as I can. Race nutrition is very important but I think a lot of people tend to overcomplicate it.

For me, I try and get through the race with as minimal nutrition as possible. Running with that bloated feeling is not a good time. 

2011-12-25 10:11 PM

As far as the gels go have you guys just experimented with multiples during training segments to see hich ones suited you best, or is there ones that are better than others
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » THE SLAYER RULES-FULL Up Rss Feed  

of 46