General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-11-11 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3950313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread

Dropped my bike today to my LBS in Chicago for TriBiketransport... I was shocked to see that many bikes already and manu more to come...

It's good to see I'm not the only one from here

2 weeks folks, 2 weeks...

2012-11-12 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Here's my list of crazy questions:

Should we exchange any $$ for pesos for taxis, purchases on the island, etc.? If so, how much is reasonable? We're staying at an all-inclusive resort, but may venture out of the resort to check out the island more. I know a passable amount of Spanish.

How does one keep from getting ripped off by taxi drivers?

If I put candy in either of my special needs bags, will it melt in there??

CO2 cartridges are NOT allowed on an airplane and will be readily available for purchase in Coz, right?

Are credit cards widely accepted at the expo and for shopping/dining?

I'll probably think of more. 13 days!!!

2012-11-12 10:03 AM

User image

I finished my last long run yesterday, a rough 20 miler.  I'm ready to taper.  I can't wait to see what fresh legs feel like again.

We'll be staying at El Cozumelena.  We will arrive on Friday and will be staying until the following Saturday.

I'm both excited and scared to death. 

Vince

2012-11-12 11:25 AM

User image

Let the taper begin! Last 20 km run on Sunday, which other than being cold was good. Somedays I feel ready other days I am fearful for my first IM. I take solace in the coaches plan and know deep down that I am ready, just seems really deep down some days! I know that once I get a few 100 m into the swim the old body will co operate, just another day of swim, bike and run!!!! We are at the palace resort, I will be the nervous looking Canuck from Wednesday to Saturday, from then on just a guy with bad tan lines walking ever so slowly to the bar for guilt free beverages. Good luck to all, thanks for the support and laughter! See you all at the finish line!!!!Ian
2012-11-12 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4493864

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
kathy caribe - 2012-11-11 3:20 PMI live down here and it can be light or gusty or strong or tailwinds both ways or headwinds both ways.  It really changes.  sometimes mid ride.  You really can't count on anything even from the start of the bike to the end on race day.
[/P]Hi Kathy- in an earlier post I think you mentioned it would be fairly easy to purchase CO2 cartridges - I am sure the expo will have more than a few for sale. [\p][/p] question- do they sell Ensure ? peanut butter? [p\p][/P]Thomas[p/]
2012-11-12 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4493705

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
slam8742 - 2012-11-11 11:12 AMI've got my right knee injured less than a month ago, because of the "barrel" shape of my legs. I believe I'm losing around a couple of hours on the projected race time, as a consequence of this.

If anybody is not happy, cheer up, because it could go worse :-D
you are so right- a lot worse! Just roll with punches!

2012-11-12 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4493691

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
aintaround - 2012-11-11 10:56 AMDisney Wine 'n Dine Half Marathon is over and did like crap - 2:06 - first time I've gone over 2. I was on track until mile 9 then I felt every mile of last weeks IMFL. Now I get 13 days before I toe the line at Cozumel. I think i'm going to go major taper for the next few days.
a well deserved taper- enjoy the down time
2012-11-12 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4493977

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-11-11 5:29 PM

I would like to request a tailwind that follows me around and around until I'm done. KTHX.

We had 15 mph wind today, so it was good practice. It kept changing direction, too. Did some hills, too, at least Coz won't have those!! I was also happy to have some friends with me, including some who have done IMs before, to help me calm down (a little). I kind of want to throw up every time I think about the upcoming race.....

Kate- you are more than ready!!! Time to enjoy the next week and a half- those free drinks at the bar are waiting on you!
2012-11-12 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4494957

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
rjguy - 2012-11-12 12:25 PMLet the taper begin! Last 20 km run on Sunday, which other than being cold was good. Somedays I feel ready other days I am fearful for my first IM. I take solace in the coaches plan and know deep down that I am ready, just seems really deep down some days! I know that once I get a few 100 m into the swim the old body will co operate, just another day of swim, bike and run!!!! We are at the palace resort, I will be the nervous looking Canuck from Wednesday to Saturday, from then on just a guy with bad tan lines walking ever so slowly to the bar for guilt free beverages. Good luck to all, thanks for the support and laughter! See you all at the finish line!!!!Ian
OMG you had me cracking with the "guy with bad tan lines and ..ever so slowly to the bar for guilt free beverages".. See you at Coz!

Edited by golfpro 2012-11-12 2:51 PM
2012-11-12 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Dropped my bike off just now. She also got a nice bath and tune-up and the guy at the bike shop even fixed the crappy tape job I did on the bars. My little entry-level pink roadie with the clip-on bars is looking gooooood!

2012-11-13 6:32 AM

User image

Key West
Damn, it felt like the day would never come and now it is coming at us like a freight train! I actually was able to sleep in and see a sunrise today which has not been seen by me without a glossy sweat and high heart beat in over two months. Tapers are awesome.

2012-11-13 12:49 PM

Does anybody have any suggestion on how to reach Cozumel from Cancun airport, having the bike in a box?I guess I could take a taxi to reach Playa del Carmen, then the ferry to Cozumel, then a taxi to hotel.Questions are:- is it possible to take a bus, having the bike box, or is it too big? I read somewhere to take the "ADO" one, but I don't know the restrictions.- if not, is there any "safe" taxi company I can call without being at risk of a ripoff?- same question about a safe taxi company in Cozumel?
2012-11-13 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4496655

User image

Veteran
Georgia

slam8742 - 2012-11-13 1:49 PM Does anybody have any suggestion on how to reach Cozumel from Cancun airport, having the bike in a box?I guess I could take a taxi to reach Playa del Carmen, then the ferry to Cozumel, then a taxi to hotel.Questions are:- is it possible to take a bus, having the bike box, or is it too big? I read somewhere to take the "ADO" one, but I don't know the restrictions.- if not, is there any "safe" taxi company I can call without being at risk of a ripoff?- same question about a safe taxi company in Cozumel?

I do not know about the bus, but there is a company called Cancun Transfers. You can schedule now on their website - cancuntransfers.com - and they will do a return trip from the airport to the ferry terminal for about $110.00 (2 adults, one child) with a scheduled pick-up on the return. They offer the option of paying via the website or cash to the driver. I have used these guys on about four different occassions, including the last time I did IMCoz with a bike bag. They typically use nice, clean vans or SUVs, just let them know you will have a larger piece of luggage. I have booked them for this year as well and would highly recommend using them.

2012-11-13 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4494787

User image

Veteran
Georgia
runk8run - 2012-11-12 10:57 AM

Here's my list of crazy questions: Here are my thoughts, but I may be wrong:

Should we exchange any $$ for pesos for taxis, purchases on the island, etc.? If so, how much is reasonable? We're staying at an all-inclusive resort, but may venture out of the resort to check out the island more. I know a passable amount of Spanish.

Most taxi drivers and people in the tourist serving areas speak English. Dollars seems to be widely accepted and, in some cases, preferred. Take some extra dollars to tip the people at the resort - even though tips are included, they will really appreciate it.

Most of the fares are pretty standard. You can expect it will cost you about $10 to go most places. The website lists fares in the transportation section from the various resorts.

Probably. In 2009, the bags were fully exposed to the sun in the special needs areas. This may have changed, but I doubt it.

CO2 cartridges are NOT allowed on an airplane and will be readily available for purchase in Coz, right?

Yes, they should have them available at the expo. There is a local tri-shop somewhere in the downtown area - Cabrilla's Sport Center near the Oxxo just south of the plaza, 1.5 blocks east of Margaritaville. I know this only from another forum. They should have CO2 as well.

Yes, at least at the official store, though I am not sure about any other vendors. Yes for shopping and dining.  

Good luck!

2012-11-13 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA

I dropped Big Blue for TBT

Taking it easy and trying not think about it too much! Short week of training and then a short vacation with one long work day! 

Edited by golfpro 2012-11-13 4:57 PM
2012-11-13 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4497022

User image

cwsiii - 2012-11-13 1:24 PM
runk8run - 2012-11-12 10:57 AM

Here's my list of crazy questions: Here are my thoughts, but I may be wrong:

Most taxi drivers and people in the tourist serving areas speak English. Dollars seems to be widely accepted and, in some cases, preferred. Take some extra dollars to tip the people at the resort - even though tips are included, they will really appreciate it.

Most of the fares are pretty standard. You can expect it will cost you about $10 to go most places. The website lists fares in the transportation section from the various resorts.

Probably. In 2009, the bags were fully exposed to the sun in the special needs areas. This may have changed, but I doubt it.

Yes, they should have them available at the expo. There is a local tri-shop somewhere in the downtown area - Cabrilla's Sport Center near the Oxxo just south of the plaza, 1.5 blocks east of Margaritaville. I know this only from another forum. They should have CO2 as well.

Yes, at least at the official store, though I am not sure about any other vendors. Yes for shopping and dining.  

Good luck!

All good advice and right on.  Don't worry about cabbies, they're pretty good and not out to rip you off like some other places

No need to get pesos before going down, but remember if you pay in US dollars you will get pesos in return.  It is generally cheaper to pay in pesos as well, what we usually do is go down with enough to get a van from the airport, then go to an ATM and withdraw pesos - but do NOT go to freestanding ATMs, as they have been known to be unreliable....  Only use nes attached to banks (there is one in the main square, walk into the little airconditioned room on the southeast corner) and the one in MEGA is reputed to be reliable as well.

2012-11-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4497156

User image

Veteran
Georgia
golfpro - 2012-11-13 5:46 PM

I dropped Big Blue for TBT

Taking it easy and trying not think about it too much! Short week of training and then a short vacation with one long work day! 

Nice bike. I will be rolling with new Flo wheels as well.

2012-11-15 6:24 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Thanks to all who answered my questions!!!

What's everyone putting in their special needs bags for food? I always have a pb&j on long bike rides, so that will be in there (and I'm even bringing my own pb and j because I'm picky about it!) I usually have a cliff bar or powerbar (which they'll have) and also a sweet treat, usually whatever looked good at a cafe or gas station (snickers ice cream bar, homemade cherry pie at a roadside cafe...) However, if I can't pack a candy bar in there, I'm not sure what else to do....or maybe just stick with the pb&j, but it helps me to have something special to look forward to.

Also stumped on the run special needs bag, food-wise, as my stomach usually shuts down and does NOT want solid food on the run, but I've never done a 14-15 hour day like my race will be. I was thinking potato chips. I did a marathon once where they gave me a bag of chips at the finish line and I shoved that whole bag in my face.

2012-11-15 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Whew. Ironman in 10 days. Getting on a plane in 6. Family coming over for thanksgiving dinner in 2. Seeing our favorite comedian tomorrow. 10+ hour work days this week, including unplanned ones. Crises abound. In the middle of a potential job change; certification tests and interviews this week as well. House is a mess. I can't wait to get on a plane and have the chance to read and relax and nap.

I got this.

Edited by runk8run 2012-11-15 8:46 AM
2012-11-15 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4498956

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-11-15 7:24 AM

What's everyone putting in their special needs bags for food? I always have a pb&j on long bike rides, so that will be in there (and I'm even bringing my own pb and j because I'm picky about it!) I usually have a cliff bar or powerbar (which they'll have) and also a sweet treat, usually whatever looked good at a cafe or gas station (snickers ice cream bar, homemade cherry pie at a roadside cafe...) However, if I can't pack a candy bar in there, I'm not sure what else to do....or maybe just stick with the pb&j, but it helps me to have something special to look forward to.

Also stumped on the run special needs bag, food-wise, as my stomach usually shuts down and does NOT want solid food on the run, but I've never done a 14-15 hour day like my race will be. I was thinking potato chips. I did a marathon once where they gave me a bag of chips at the finish line and I shoved that whole bag in my face.

Special needs bike food - maybe a power bar , will have a baggie of nutritional powder for bottle. Majority of my nutrition is liquid. I am taking a powerbar/ Pay Day on bike if I get hungrier.

On the run- strictly liquids - most of nutrition/solids on bike only... the other two IM i've done, they have had plenty of food on each of the aid stations. I don't know what they'll have down there, hopefully the same as I have seen: oranges, bananas, pretzels, chix broth, water, coke, etc....

2012-11-16 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4499939

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
golfpro - 2012-11-15 7:33 PM

Special needs bike food - maybe a power bar , will have a baggie of nutritional powder for bottle. Majority of my nutrition is liquid. I am taking a powerbar/ Pay Day on bike if I get hungrier.

On the run- strictly liquids - most of nutrition/solids on bike only... the other two IM i've done, they have had plenty of food on each of the aid stations. I don't know what they'll have down there, hopefully the same as I have seen: oranges, bananas, pretzels, chix broth, water, coke, etc....

Won't they have power bars at the bike aid stations? I thought I saw that on the official site. I'm weird with food in general - I get sick of something quickly. I want a treat, not a powerbar if that's already what I've been eating. I'm used to doing mostly solid nutrition on the bike and then liquids/gels on the run. I usually can't do solids when running. I think the site said they would have everything you listed except the broth, which makes sense, as it'll be a little warm anyway....

2012-11-16 6:18 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

I've been waiting for race day to be included in the 10-day forecast!!! It looks great so far....

2012-11-16 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4500184

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

Well we are close - my bike shipped yesterday - I am sorting thru my gear today - 

I said this before but.... While you are in the water before the gun no matter where you are (treading with the fast guys or hanging off the pier with me) take a dive and check out the scene. 5 thousand legs kicking in anticipation is very cool, the deeper the better. 

2012-11-16 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4500182

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-11-16 7:15 AM
golfpro - 2012-11-15 7:33 PM

Won't they have power bars at the bike aid stations? I thought I saw that on the official site. I'm weird with food in general - I get sick of something quickly. I want a treat, not a powerbar if that's already what I've been eating. I'm used to doing mostly solid nutrition on the bike and then liquids/gels on the run. I usually can't do solids when running. I think the site said they would have everything you listed except the broth, which makes sense, as it'll be a little warm anyway....

I am sure you received yesterday the athlete guide (both english/spanish version).

They are giving away powerbars away- still taking vanilla just in case they don't have it.

I remember training with Perform last year and when race day came, they had a different flavor awe-ful!....btw... hot or cold even in super hot days (IM Louisville) the chix broth was a welcome relief for cramps! trust me- it works.. I hope I don't have to deal with them this year.

Is anyone swimming Friday morning, or both Friday and Saturday? 

Tonight I am doing a trial packing run- to see how I am going to fennagle all the gear + reg clothing. Really looking forward to this trip! Hope everyone is coasting down in their training.

Thomas

2012-11-16 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4500184

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-11-16 7:18 AM

I've been waiting for race day to be included in the 10-day forecast!!! It looks great so far....

hmmm, must be a N'or Easter they are getting

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16