General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race official observation/question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-03 12:53 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Race official observation/question
As I was at the last few miles of St. A's bike leg, there were a bunch of bikers all bunched up drafting off each other. I was catching up I looked over my shoulder to notice a motorcycle approaching from a distance (race official!). I kept my distance to watch the carniage.

The bike caught up to the group real fast and stealthy (man those bikes were quiet). As expected I noticed she frantically writing down their numbers. I'm pretty sure most of them got penalties (some were too far left, some had clearly been drafting for a while). One of them started talking more with his arms (and fingers) than his mouth and I'm sure that got him a DQ.

After they scattered and some fell back, I either pulled ahead of a few of them and relaxed well behind those I could not catch. I noticed the official spoke to the driver and immediately they kept pace with me. She (official), clearly took note of my number (I barely made out that she had writen my # on her little pad and kept eyeing my bike). She made notes after my number and kept looking at me.
In the nicest tone to not conure offense, I asked her if I was getting a penalty (not to argue but more curious of what to expect and why). She just looked at me with a "you're going down punk" look (with those dark shades), she spoke to the driver and they sped off.
I was sure I was going to see my results with at least one penalty but to my pleasant surprise there was none.

What in the world could she have written down following my number?
Could she have changed her mind about me? (maybe thought I was part of the group then thought twice about it?)
Did you ever see/have something like this happen to you?

2006-05-03 1:00 PM
in reply to: #413690

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Race official observation/question
I had an official on a motorcycle wave me to the right once. I asked her about it afterwards and she said I probably wasn't that far to the left and she was just trying to keep everyone safe. I didn't get a penalty.
2006-05-03 1:04 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Maybe she was grading your booty and later compared notes with other friends/officials.

Isn't life more enjoyable when you think these kinds of things are possible?

2006-05-03 1:09 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Brian (huengsolo) is a USAT official so he would be the one to ask about this, however it is my understanding that all penalties are reviewed by the Head Official and he decides which ones are applied and which ones aren't. As it was explained to me the Head Official acts as the athlete's advocate and tries to find fault with how the rules are being interpreted by his/her officials before levying a penalty.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race official observation/question Rss Feed