General Discussion Triathlon Talk » P3, SC 7.x or SHIV Rival? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-24 10:22 PM

Subject: P3, SC 7.x or SHIV Rival?

Posted this on ST, but thought I would ask here too for some more opinions:

So, with the Cervelo deal going on right now, I can purchase a 2012 P3 rather comfortably and have a couple hundred leftover in early January. Or I can save up a bit and look at the 2011 SC 7.5. Or 2012 Specialized Shiv Comp which releases in Feb(?). 

Looking to have a frame I can keep for a long time with it being as aerodynamic as possible for its time (isn't the mold of the Shiv Comp the exact same as it's S-Works version?; I feel like the P5 might make me regret buying the P3 [Fabian's success has me wanting one though]; SC, I don't know much about compared to its higher versions). 

Wheels, I'll be looking at FLO's when they release. 

So based on the frame, which one would you recommend? Throw out other suggestions too if you have any~ (<$3,600

2011-12-25 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3953015

Veteran
Subject: RE: P3, SC 7.x or SHIV Rival?
renesis - 2011-12-24 10:22 PM

So, with the Cervelo deal going on right now, I can purchase a 2012 P3 rather comfortably and have a couple hundred leftover in early January. Or I can save up a bit and look at the 2011 SC 7.5. Or 2012 Specialized Shiv Comp which releases in Feb(?). 

Looking to have a frame I can keep for a long time with it being as aerodynamic as possible for its time (isn't the mold of the Shiv Comp the exact same as it's S-Works version?; I feel like the P5 might make me regret buying the P3 [Fabian's success has me wanting one though]; SC, I don't know much about compared to its higher versions). 

So based on the frame, which one would you recommend? Throw out other suggestions too if you have any~ (<$3,600

You are going to get a ton of answers saying "get whatever fits".

I will make it more simple. Get whatever bike that allows you to ride it comfortably with a flat stem and no spacers.

You probably already know this but the P3 will fit quite a bit different than the other bikes you mentioned assuming you have it set up properly (-17 stem and no spacers).
2011-12-25 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3953155

Yeah, I can see how the positions vary between the three models. I guess fit is going to determine a lot.

My roadbike is set up semi-aggressively, but I feel like I can do more. And since it's a road bike trying to be a tri-bike with clip-ons it's not all that natural.

2011-12-26 1:46 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
renesis - 2011-12-24 10:22 PM

So based on the frame, which one would you recommend? Throw out other suggestions too if you have any~ (

X2 on the fit - especially if you are going to ride it for a long time.

2011-12-29 1:24 PM

I had the same question and ended up ordering the Shiv Comp Rival based on my FIST fitting results.  My frustration with the Cervelo promotion sealed the deal.

Some shops are selling the Shiv Comp Rival for $3K.  That's just $650 more than the P3 when you include the $1K discount per bike for the Cervelo promotion.

Also, the Cervelo promotion is not as good as it sounds.  First, many dealers are saying the promotion only applies for bikes sold at MSRP (currently $3350 for the 2012 P3; or $2350 after the $1K discount per bike is applied).  That means if you see a particular dealer (e.g., Art's Cyclery) selling 2011 P2s for $2199, you can't get two of them for $1199 each using the Cervelo promotion.  That's because the MSRP for the 2011 P2s is $2799 and Art's will only sell them to you at $1799. 

Second, according to the fine print, the promotion is not valid unless the dealer can obtain two bikes from Cervelo in your proper sizes and sell them to you before 1/31.  In other words, there is some question about whether dealers can even get the bikes in stock in time if they don't already have them.

I would recommend investing in a FIST fitting by a certified FIST expert.  I had mine done at Sports Basement for $150.  A Sports Basement fitter will probably recommend Cannondale, Look, and Felt bikes, which are the brands sold at Sports Basement.  However, based on my numbers, I was able to determine that, of the two bikes I was primarily considering (the P3 and the Shiv Comp Rival), the Shiv Comp Rival will fit me the best.

The geometries of the bikes are quite different.  For example, tthe P3 is short and long and the Shiv Comp Rival is tall and narrow.  I happen to need a tall and narrow bike based on my stack and reach numbers, so my decision was easy.

K_Man

Edited by K_Man 2011-12-29 1:36 PM
2011-12-31 12:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I scheduled a FIST fit with Iron Gear on Tuesday so I should get a more specific idea of what will fit me. Hopefully I can fit a Specialized...? I was wanting a Cervelo until reading about the bad deal for LBS'. We'll see what happens!

2011-12-31 12:54 AM
in reply to: #3963213

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ

renesis - 2011-12-31 12:45 AM Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I scheduled a FIST fit with Iron Gear on Tuesday so I should get a more specific idea of what will fit me. Hopefully I can fit a Specialized...? I was wanting a Cervelo until reading about the bad deal for LBS'. We'll see what happens!

There are lots of good choices out there for bikes.  In the end it is mostly about the engine and the difference between all of these top of the line aero frames is so small it almost becomes meaningless and more rider/position dependent.  

2011-12-31 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3963219

The engine is definitely getting its fair share of work too heh. Huge improvements ever since August. VOS should prep me for Havasu and serve as an indicator on how well I'll do (or at least the TT part +/- minute or two). Really excited for my 2nd year of cycling/half year of tri's.
2012-01-03 7:21 PM

Well, my stack is 490/528 (up/flat; I have no idea what this means) and reach is 398. So, I'm kind of in the middle for everything. I think I'll be ordering a S SHIV!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » P3, SC 7.x or SHIV Rival? Rss Feed