General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Establishing Something New For Beginners In Chapel Hill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-29 1:59 PM

User image

New user

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Subject: Establishing Something New For Beginners In Chapel Hill

So reading all of this information regarding triathlons for beginners has fried my brain!! Yell 

So I decided that the ideal way for myself and a lot of others to learn is hands on. SOOOO i am looking to form an organization here in the Chapel Hill/ Carrboro area for beginner Triathletes. This evening I will be speaking with a gentlemen about starting this organization. I know that we will need to form a board (4 people) and I am hoping that I will be able to network with former triathletes who would be willing to coach us and provide us with pointer on efficient riding, swimming, running and diet. I AM AN ULTRA beginner and I know there are a great deal of people in this area who would be intersted in participating in training but need to be pointed in the right direction --> (people like me) Wink

If you are interested helping in anyway, shape or form, please send me a message. I would love to hear every one's ideas.

Dionne

2011-12-29 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3960422

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: RE: Establishing Something New For Beginners In Chapel Hill

My very first tri was last year at Meadowmont YMCA in Chapel Hill. They did a great job putting on a transition clinic before the race and I have since gone back for a 4-hour swim clinic put on by triathlon coaches (Monette Williams - Triangle Multisport). The same coaches were offering an open water swim clinic a few weeks later that, unfortunately, I was unable to attend.

You may already have resources available to you in the Chapel Hill area.

2011-12-30 4:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-12-31 3:25 PM

Dionne-

I agree with Stacey in regards to the UNC Wellness Sprint.  It was my first last year and the transition clinic that Monette Williams hosted was great.  I don't know much about Triangle Multisport, but coaching specifically for swimming is a good place to start.  I chose to work with Marty Gaal (One Step Beyond Multisport) because he is an excellent swim coach as well as a fully credentialed triathlon coach. 

Another great way to get going is either Rambling Rose or training for anything with Team in Training.  Team in Training will provide coaching and mentoring.....

Anyway, the real reason why I replied is that I'm in Chapel Hill as well.  I'm not sure what I could do to help you get going, but I'd be happy to try.  Last year I completed two sprints and a half ironman.  Prior to that I ran 6 marathons so I have made lots of mistakes and learned a bunch. 

What's your background? Are you currently running or biking or swimming and if so what and how much? With more info you're likely to get more advice/help.

Good luck getting going.  Once you start, you'll never look back!

2011-12-31 5:20 PM

Elite
Raleigh

I am on the Board of IOSDT (inside Out Delta Triathlon) and I am responsible for acclimating new members. We are going to work with FSseries to offer clinics to first time triathletes. For AT LEAST the Gary Kirby, Smile Train, and Rex Wellness tris, we are going to meet up a few weeks before the races to ride the course and run the run routes (Slowly) so that we can get people used to the route, learn where the aid stations are and the tough spots. We will also go through how each transition area is set up, what the basic rules are and then general ways to set up your own transition area.

I will be at all of these, probably leading them. We may add other races too. This is open to anyone and you need not be a member of IOSDT.

I hope you can get your group off the ground. It is a great idea.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Establishing Something New For Beginners In Chapel Hill Rss Feed