General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first sea swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-06 11:12 AM

Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Subject: My first sea swim
I went for my first sea swim on Friday and it was awful. Nothing I have done so far prepared my for this. Whoever named it the "sea" was mistaken - I could "see" nothing but waves. I had no sense of direction whatsoever, at one stage, when I thought I was swimming along the shore, I was actually swimming out to sea, when I stopped to look around to get my bearings there was a great ship a few hundred yards away. The tide was going out and taking me with it. This was a humbling experience and I have learnt a few lessons that I would like to pass on.
1. Don't panic.
2. Learn to breath comfortably on both sides and then always breath towards the shore. That way the waves break across the back of your head and not in your mouth.
3. You need to take a much longer, slower stroke with much more emphasise on body roll, than you do in a pool or lake. Once I got used to it I found the best position was gliding half on your side, half on your back, superman style, with the underneath arm stretched out in front and the top arm stretched out along my thigh. Then to take a long pull and switch sides.
4. Don't panic.

Lots of the triathlons in my neck of the woods are in the sea off of the south coast of England so I've got a lot of practising to do.

Tina

2004-06-07 3:28 AM
in reply to: #29454

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-07 3:47 AM

Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Subject: RE: My first sea swim
No I was swimming with a friend but he didn't go off course.

I didn't have a wet suit on as it was a warm day (by British standards anyway), and, like you it was a real struggle back in against the tide. I have swum in a lake and in the docks before but have never had an experience like this.

Tina
2004-06-07 3:40 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
WOW, thanks for the advice, hope the swim gets better for you.
2004-06-07 5:01 PM

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Tina,

Thank you, thank you....
I've done lake, river and pool swims but have yet to tri an ocean...
I'm tucking your tips away cuz have a feeling I'll need them on my first ocean swim....which happens to be next weekend.

nt

2004-06-07 10:41 PM
in reply to: #29697

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-06-08 12:56 PM

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Listen Tina, anyone who is tough enough to go distance swimming off the English coast without a wetsuit can do anything she puts her mind to! Your future is bright!
2004-06-09 4:58 AM

Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Thank for that,

I am encouraged to think that I might float a little better in a wet suit.

I don't know what the water temp was but the air temp was 70 degrees so I guess the water was mid 50's. Perhaps I am hardier than I thought - the experience certainly hasn't put me off but I'm delaying my first sea tri until next summer, after I have practiced more.

Tina
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first sea swim Rss Feed