General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jetton Park Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-07 8:42 PM

New user

Charlotte
Subject: Jetton Park Triathlon

Anyone competed in the Jetton Park Triathlon in Cornelius?  I'm considering it and would appreciate any insight that anyone might have -- i.e., water temperature (need for wetsuit), etc.  Thanks in advance!  

2012-01-09 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3977423

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Subject: RE: Jetton Park Triathlon

I haven't done the race but I can tell you what I know about it...

short, flat and not challenging.  There are no hills whatsoever to speak of.  The run is on the handicapped-accesible walking path which gives you an idead of how easy it is.  As for the water temp, that depends on the time of year for the race.  Lake Norman warms up quickly and the swim is so short I believe that a wetsuit probably wouldn't be necessary.

2012-01-10 12:44 PM

New user

Bostic, NC

Did the race last year, was my second tri ever.  Water was cold and I imagine will be this year I wore a wetsuit and felt great.  The swim is 750m so standard sprint distance, not short.  Wear tinted goggles as on the last turn for the beach the sun is low and straight in your face.  The bike course is flat and fast, but there is a hill.  Just before the last turnaround you make is a very short but incredibly steep hill where I saw two people wreck.  The run is not flat, the first k and the third k are uphill and the last k is down hill to the finish.  Its a fun race and if not challenging then you didn't push hard enough.

2012-01-12 10:35 AM

User image

North Carolina

What about parking and getting in and out? Can you leave before the race is over? Since my family enjoys coming to cheer me on, this is usually something I get asked.

I am considering either this or the Buck Hurley in Salisbury the weekend before, which I did last year. It was enjoyable, but I'd rather do the OWS.

2012-01-12 4:13 PM

New user

Bostic, NC
There is a large field just outside the park (about a half mile walk from transition). I don't think they will let anyone leave this field until everyone is in off the bike.  Good place for spectators with kids because there is a play ground directly across from transition.  And be careful when mounting your bike as they conveniently placed the mount line at the start of a hill, and my wife watched several people fall over here last year.
2012-01-13 7:58 AM

User image

North Carolina
Thanks for the reply!

2012-01-16 8:50 PM

New user

Charlotte

Thanks everyone!  I'm strongly considering signing up for it.  If I do, I'll start a new thread with my humble review.  Happy racing! 

D

2012-01-17 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3987107

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Gold member

wdhutchi - 2012-01-12 5:13 PM There is a large field just outside the park (about a half mile walk from transition). I don't think they will let anyone leave this field until everyone is in off the bike. 

I did this event last year.  As I recall the field is a few hundred yards from any part of the bike course and on the interstate side.  So while I obviously can't speak to timing, it wouldn't surprise me if people could come and go as they please.  I know that my wife & kids didn't show up until I'd already left T1 and didn't have any problem parking beside the field and being there in time for T2 and finish.

2012-02-02 6:36 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
I was considering this race for my first tri, and it sounds like it might be a good one. I don't mind hills on the run but I am new to the bike and was looking for one that wasn't too hilly for the first time. Glad I found this thread, thanks for starting it and all the info!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jetton Park Triathlon Rss Feed