General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help balancing weight loss/training gains Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-09 10:51 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: Help balancing weight loss/training gains
I need some help. I've been doing tri's 3 years, going on 4, now. I was Overweight the first year I started and was already in the middle of weight loss. I lost 50+lbs in 2 years. By my second year I was too the point where I was thin, but had some problem areas still. (6' 1" 163lbs race weight/ 170ish normal weight) I shifted focus to work on getting faster my 2nd and 2rd year. I maintained my 2nd year, but the heavy training has made me hungry and I am now back around 180!!! I don't want to go back to fat!!! Biggest problem is workouts over 1 1/2 hours. I can control my eating in that range. If I'm dieting 1500-1700cals/day.After that, I get weak!! and tend to overeat. After 1 1/2 I get lightheaded without gels or powerbars. I'd like to continue to get faster, lose the weight I regained, and hit the remainder of those problem areas!!!

tell me some of your tips and tricks to stay on track, losing and or maintaining weight, and keeping fueled during and after those long workouts while dieting???

thx

2012-01-09 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3979745

London
Subject: RE: Help balancing weight loss/training gains

Hi Meulen

That’s a tough one. If you have been training consistently its hard to see why you have put more weight on. You say you are hungrier, what are you eating why your weight has gone back up? It sounds like you should have good levels of conditioning after 4 years so perhaps calorie counting isn't necessary. The volume of work your doing should be enough. How often a week are you training? High protein diets are good for weight loss, but you need the carbs for energy. I would say if you are going to calorie count, eat more carbohydrates and more calories on the days your going to go harder, but you probably don't need to calorie count if your volume is good.

What I would do is eat sensibly, no alcohol, reduce coffee intake ( i know it sounds clichéd) but I would add one tough session in a week to burn calories. You can work at 80% of max heart rate for between 40 - 60 minutes once a week and that will help you shift calories. This is known as a maximum lactate steady state (MLSS). Without knowing what you are eating after a work out it is difficult to be specific, so excuse the general advice you’re getting. Drink 2 litres of water a day every day and an additional litre of water or electrolyte drink for every hour of exercise done.

Strength training is a good way to change your physique, but you will need to see an expert because your technique has to be good and you have to work at a certain intensity to get the highest hormone release of testosterone, growth hormone. These are important for reducing cortisol levels. Cortisol is a stress hormone, and too much of this hormone causes you to store fat around the stomach.

Like I said before, this is very general, please answer some of my questions and I'm sure myself and others can give dietary advice specific to your needs.

Edited by PT_London 2012-01-09 11:28 AM
2012-01-09 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I drink plenty of water. It's off season now but usual train 5-7 days per week year round. I drink plenty of water.

After workout eating routines:
over 2hours - hammer recoverite and whole wheat bagel thin with natural pb&j
under 2 hours - 1. horizon organic Chocolate milk immediately after, and normal meal later
2. Dannon Greek yogurt immediately after, normal meal later
3. handful raw almonds immediately after, normal meal later

where I think my weakness is is after workouts and normal meal. Resting before bed I get sugar cravings bad. I'll hit the reces peanut butter cups at 8-9pm!! I quit counting calories a couple years back. I "thought" the volume I was doing was enough to not worry about. I've gone back to counting last week. I've gone back to drinking coffee and occassional alcohol in the last year. I also decided to cut that out last weak and replace with decaffinated grean tea.

what I'm looking for:
1. ideas to curb those late night sugar cravings
2. suggestions for those long workouts during or after workouts to keep cravings curbed the rest of the day.
3. a little advice transitioning to maintenance mode from weight loss mode so I don't go back
2012-01-09 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
btw...by my own admission I'm an addictive personality. I can follow a plan and eat perfect for a week or two, and have even been known to be perfect for months. People have suggested to eat little bits of some of my vice foods just so I don't feel deprived. But, the addictive personality kicks in and I binge the second I get a taste.
2012-01-09 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3979924

User image

Pro
CyFair

Meulen - 2012-01-09 12:05 PM I drink plenty of water. It's off season now but usual train 5-7 days per week year round. I drink plenty of water. After workout eating routines: over 2hours - hammer recoverite and whole wheat bagel thin with natural pb&j under 2 hours - 1. horizon organic Chocolate milk immediately after, and normal meal later 2. Dannon Greek yogurt immediately after, normal meal later 3. handful raw almonds immediately after, normal meal later where I think my weakness is is after workouts and normal meal. Resting before bed I get sugar cravings bad. I'll hit the reces peanut butter cups at 8-9pm!! I quit counting calories a couple years back. I "thought" the volume I was doing was enough to not worry about. I've gone back to counting last week. I've gone back to drinking coffee and occassional alcohol in the last year. I also decided to cut that out last weak and replace with decaffinated grean tea. what I'm looking for: 1. ideas to curb those late night sugar cravings 2. suggestions for those long workouts during or after workouts to keep cravings curbed the rest of the day. 3. a little advice transitioning to maintenance mode from weight loss mode so I don't go back

I like to find healthy "snacks".  Whether it's low calorie fudge bars, I found Healthy Choice ones at Costco the other day, or cottage cheese with a good whey protein mixed in, or you know those Yoplait dessert flavored yogurts aren't too bad either. 

2. Don't go typical triathlete and clear out a convenience store on a long ride.  LOL.  Take what you need and stick to it.  Also if you plan your meals you won't really have that many options post ride.  When I first started losing weight I cleared my house of junk and replaced it with healthy snacks.  Now plan all my meals for the week Saturday, shop Sunday, and keep only what I planned on and healthy snacks in the house.  There are many times I go searching for a good fatty snack on a Sunday after a ride and it's just not there.  I'm forced to eat fruit. 

3. If you notice your weight starting to go in the wrong direction start to track your calories until you go back to where you want to be.  It's a good way to analyze what is tripping you up and eliminate it.

2012-01-12 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3980029

User image

Wichita

Meulen - 2012-01-09 12:53 PM btw...by my own admission I'm an addictive personality. I can follow a plan and eat perfect for a week or two, and have even been known to be perfect for months. People have suggested to eat little bits of some of my vice foods just so I don't feel deprived. But, the addictive personality kicks in and I binge the second I get a taste.

I won't be much help but I do have the same addictive personality that you do.  Sometimes it is very hard to curb cravings for certain things.  That is what keeps me from losing my weight perminatly.  I get a craving for something like this BBQ buffet that is here.  then I end up going and eating way too much.  SO I feel where you are coming from.

2012-01-12 10:02 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
You can always try and find a way to make your favorite meals, both home and dine out, healthier.  As far as bbq.  Get a leaner cut of meat.  Make your own sauce.  Etc.  I've done healthier, not entirely healthy, mac and cheese.  There are ways to get things done.  Cooking Light magazine and their website is my best friend honestly.  You want brisket?  Put it on the menu for the week.  Plan to satisfy that craving and then figure out how to do it as healthy as possible.  Grill a flank steak with bbq rub and put homemade bbq sauce with liquid smoke on the side for dipping. 
2012-01-12 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3986052

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
uhcoog - 2012-01-12 10:02 AM

You can always try and find a way to make your favorite meals, both home and dine out, healthier.  As far as bbq.  Get a leaner cut of meat.  Make your own sauce.  Etc.  I've done healthier, not entirely healthy, mac and cheese.  There are ways to get things done.  Cooking Light magazine and their website is my best friend honestly.  You want brisket?  Put it on the menu for the week.  Plan to satisfy that craving and then figure out how to do it as healthy as possible.  Grill a flank steak with bbq rub and put homemade bbq sauce with liquid smoke on the side for dipping. 

I'm actually really good at making things healthy. My problem is more the cravings on days my workouts were long. I have a hard time loading up on healthy foods enough to cover 1200-2000+ calorie deficites created by workouts. Then I'm sitting with the wife watching a boring tv show spending time with her and I eat something bad out of boredom. This in itself, probably not a problem. But with the addictive personality, once I start I don't stop!
2012-01-13 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3986065

User image

Wichita

Meulen - 2012-01-12 10:07 AM
uhcoog - 2012-01-12 10:02 AM You can always try and find a way to make your favorite meals, both home and dine out, healthier.  As far as bbq.  Get a leaner cut of meat.  Make your own sauce.  Etc.  I've done healthier, not entirely healthy, mac and cheese.  There are ways to get things done.  Cooking Light magazine and their website is my best friend honestly.  You want brisket?  Put it on the menu for the week.  Plan to satisfy that craving and then figure out how to do it as healthy as possible.  Grill a flank steak with bbq rub and put homemade bbq sauce with liquid smoke on the side for dipping. 
I'm actually really good at making things healthy. My problem is more the cravings on days my workouts were long. I have a hard time loading up on healthy foods enough to cover 1200-2000+ calorie deficites created by workouts. Then I'm sitting with the wife watching a boring tv show spending time with her and I eat something bad out of boredom. This in itself, probably not a problem. But with the addictive personality, once I start I don't stop!

Just a quick question that I don't think has been asked, are you sure you aren't making muscle gains and that is what is causing the added weight?  I know you are talking about over eating after your workouts but it is a thought.  If you are doing long runs and bikes maybe you are just building up your leg muscles more.  It would probably help more to check your body fat %.

2012-01-13 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3986052

User image

Wichita

uhcoog - 2012-01-12 10:02 AM You can always try and find a way to make your favorite meals, both home and dine out, healthier.  As far as bbq.  Get a leaner cut of meat.  Make your own sauce.  Etc.  I've done healthier, not entirely healthy, mac and cheese.  There are ways to get things done.  Cooking Light magazine and their website is my best friend honestly.  You want brisket?  Put it on the menu for the week.  Plan to satisfy that craving and then figure out how to do it as healthy as possible.  Grill a flank steak with bbq rub and put homemade bbq sauce with liquid smoke on the side for dipping. 

I have been trying to go with more turkey and the lean brisket when I do go for BBQ.  Or some chicken but remove the skin.  I just need to stay away from seconds!

2012-01-13 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3987965

User image

Pro
CyFair
npenner02 - 2012-01-13 7:37 AM

I have been trying to go with more turkey and the lean brisket when I do go for BBQ.  Or some chicken but remove the skin.  I just need to stay away from seconds!

Not sure if you serve up your food family style or not at your house, but here is how my wife and I combat that.  We cook up just enough food to feed us a portion, our kids, and leave some for leftovers at lunch.  Before the plates go to the table a portion of everything is put on each of our plates and the extras are packed up and put in the fridge.  This way we have to go bust out the tupperware if we want seconds and know we're relegated to a turkey sandwhich or tuna for lunch the next day instead of yummy leftovers. 

2012-01-13 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3987962

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
npenner02 - 2012-01-13 7:36 AM

Meulen - 2012-01-12 10:07 AM

Just a quick question that I don't think has been asked, are you sure you aren't making muscle gains and that is what is causing the added weight?  I know you are talking about over eating after your workouts but it is a thought.  If you are doing long runs and bikes maybe you are just building up your leg muscles more.  It would probably help more to check your body fat %.

Possible, however, I still have visible belly fat and love handles that have been stubbornly sticking around since I started this journey at 215lbs.. If I was losing that visibly I wouldn't be concerned about the extra weight. I was at 163 my lowest. Since then I'm sure there is more muscle on my legs, but I still should be able to get below 170
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help balancing weight loss/training gains Rss Feed