General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How I ran/walked my way to a BQ marathon on Sunday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-11 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3983998

User image

Regular
Florence, Al
Subject: RE: How I ran/walked my way to a BQ marathon on Sunday

miamiamy - 2012-01-11 11:11 AM Great job!

Personally I cannot drink water while moving so accepting the 20 second walk break has been a good plan for me. :-)

Thanks Amy!

Have you ever heard the Keith Whitley song "Miami, My Amy?"

Edited by Borden 2012-01-11 1:41 PM

2012-01-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3983944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland

My philosophy especially in 1/2 mary's and longer is to walk the water breaks because if I dont I'll just choke on the water, cough, spit and hack. Lose my breath and end up having to walk anyhow.  Better to take 5-10 steps, drink your water, take your nutrition, and get yourself together, then continue your run.

Just my .02

2012-01-12 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3984371

User image

Pro
Grnfsh - 2012-01-11 11:43 AM

My philosophy especially in 1/2 mary's and longer is to walk the water breaks because if I dont I'll just choke on the water, cough, spit and hack. Lose my breath and end up having to walk anyhow.  Better to take 5-10 steps, drink your water, take your nutrition, and get yourself together, then continue your run.

X2. That's my plan. Walk enough to get your sustenance and move on.  no more than 5-10 seconds.  I also carry one water bottle with me and just hold it out for the volunteers to pour in- so I can sip whenever I want.  This helps to get down blocks/gels.

I read somewhere that Bill Rodgers walked through all the water stops on his way to winning Boston a whole bunch of times, many years ago.

2012-01-12 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3984066

User image

bzgl40 - 2012-01-11 12:36 PM
Borden - 2012-01-11 9:14 AM

bryancd - 2012-01-11 11:04 AM

Right, this is my point. A real walk/run startegy has very specific planned walk breaks based on duration, not location of aids stations or hills, and is something practiced in training.

so my run/walk strategy wasn't real?

Are you saying that in order for it to be a "real" strategy one should run to the watch beep regardless?  So you may find yourself walking to an aid station only to grab a cup and run? Or walking to the foot of a hill and running up it?

I do remember adjusting the planned breaks to the course in some of my reading.  Or maybe I invited the idea.  I shall alert Jeff.

My breaks were way shorter then anything in a Galloway plan and did not provide the recovery that his plan calls for.  I think that in reality my HR probably did not drop at all and my walk was yards in no more then double digits.   

How long were your walks?  I think that is a key factor, they have to be long enough for some kind of recovery, not just to get nutrition in.

Nice job on the marathons though, that's awesome

Reading through Jeff Galloway's books, you find that the goal of the walk breaks isn't to drop your HR at all, it is to allow your "running" muscles to rest and push more oxygen into them thus extending the amount of time before lactic acid begins to build.

When you look at a recommended 8:00/mile pace the 35 seconds isn't enough time to lower your HR, but may be enough time to push some O2 in and lactic acid out.  Also, at 8:00/mile you are basically walking the water/Gatorade stations if they're every mile.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/time_goal.html

Edited by GatorRunner 2012-01-12 1:10 PM
2012-01-12 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I have done the exact same walk/run strategy as you did (aid stations and hills) and have used it in 5k's, 10k's and my first Half Marathon. I can say that using the walk/run method made my times faster and I felt better during the runs. I would walk the aid stations for approx 45sec-1min then continue running. We discussed this with my g/f's mother who does marathons and is training with this method for her marathon this year and so far, she has said that she notices a difference using this method for her long runs (1 min walk after each mile) and her splits are actually faster then normal. I will continue to use this exact method for all of my running races.
2012-01-12 3:13 PM

User image

Master

Hard to compare the two races, since they were different courses.

That being said, I am personally a fan of run-walk strategies, Galloway or not.

The bottom line for race day is "what was your finish time?" If using a run-walk system gets you a better finish time, then it is working for you. 

Congrats and great write up!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How I ran/walked my way to a BQ marathon on Sunday Rss Feed  

of 2