General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking to upgrade road bike ... need some "professional" advice ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-11 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Looking to upgrade road bike ... need some "professional" advice ...

Before April of last year all my bike riding for the five years prior had been mountain bikes ... even when I started running alot and decided to do a tri (or three) I said I would do the Xterra series or off road stuff so I could use one of my mountain bikes ... I got the bug so I bought a used entry level tri bike - the only problem was I did not know how to ride clips and my first bunch of tries were comically disastrous ... so I had this nice entry level tri bike, a Felt 32 and I could not ride it.  I ended up buying an old 1982 Univega Gran Premio a week before my first super sprint and practiced the clips in that one all week - and then raced with it.  Raced a sprint a few weeks later and also used the Univega.  Only recently (for a few Du's have I used the Felt - way faster) ...

That all said my Univega is a monster and I more than held my own with it but I want to upgrade leading into this season as I have 2 century rides planned and I am scared to pack ride with the Felt and am not sure if my old Univega is up for the task.  I can't go big (as in new) since I am an a budget that is mostly eaten up in race fees but I have been focusing on used LITESPEED manufactured bikes.  As a big guy (6'2" 229#) I think the titanium will suit me I have looked at the Ultimate and lost a few auctions on ebay and listings on craiglsit but then I found this and was hoping for some feedback:

Eddy Merckx Titanium 62cm road bike it appears that the frame was manufactured by Litespeed.  Looks in good shape with slight peeling on the decals.  Mavic Ksyrium 700C wheelset and threadless Kinesis carbon fiber fork; Dura Ace 9spd ... Ultegra 175mm 53/39 crankset&BB w/outboard bearings... Bontrager Carbon 27.2mm seatpost... Fizik Aliante saddle... Sachs 9spd. chain... Cateye computer. 

Looks good but it is huge jump in price from my $125 Univega at nearly $1300 for a 1996 ride ...

Any thoughts before I make the road bike upgrade?

2012-01-11 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3984588

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: Looking to upgrade road bike ... need some "professional" advice ...

My thoughts: 

• If you are going to ride long, like a century or two, and want to keep your back and boys happy campers with that much training time, you need to make sure your bike fit is correct with reach and stack. 
  • If you have a $1300 budget and weight is not a huge concern for you, which your previous post makes that seem to be the case, find a bike store that you can trust and get with the store manager or owner and explain to him what you are looking for.  
  • Many shops have bikes from earlier years that they are looking to move.
  • Shop around.  Ask around.   
  • At 6'2" I would not immediately put you on a 62.  That seems big to me, but your fit will really be based on geometry and how upright you want to ride to be comfortable.
  • You can get a really nice bike, NEW, and most come with a lifetime warranty on the frame so no worries about it breaking, for $1300.00
  • Did I mention that a cheap or inexpensive bike is no deal if it doesn't fit you correctly.  
As an example of fit differences, I own 4 bikes and 3 of the 4 frames are different sizes based on frame geometry and what the primary use of the bike is.

Edited by badgerintx 2012-01-11 7:04 PM
2012-01-13 11:38 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Looking to upgrade road bike ... need some "professional" advice ...
I have no idea if the bike fits, but the Merckx titanium bikes are really nice. My friend has one and I drool over it.
2012-01-13 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3988621

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
jeng - 2012-01-13 12:38 PM

I have no idea if the bike fits, but the Merckx titanium bikes are really nice. My friend has one and I drool over it.

Don't drool over my Merckx cross bike. Cause your drool will dilute the mud I've earned!

And I drool over your green cruiser bike, so we're even.

Seriously, that's a VERY nice bike and about 25% the cost of what it would be new. But be 100% certain it fits and the components are in good shape. Check the cahin for wear by using a 12" ruler. Two chain pins should fall exactly 12" apart. If not, the chain is worn. Look at the cassette to see if it's scuffed up. Have they thoroughly cleaned and maintained the bike? Look at the wheel braking surfaces for gouges. Look for obvious signs the bike has been stored outside or inappropriately.

But mainly: Make sure it fits you well!

If you have a friend who knows bikes, ask for help.
2012-01-13 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking to upgrade road bike ... need some "professional" advice ... Rss Feed