General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Today is the Day Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-06 9:40 PM

Subject: Today is the Day
Hi all, I just returned from Operation Iraqi Freedom a month ago. I made it a goal to get involved in the sport when I got home from the year away from home. My wife has been a wonderful supporter so far, she has allowed me to get a membership at the Y, take swimming lessons and as of yesterday purchase a new bike. My goal is to particpate in the Military Tri next April or May, no let me rephrase that, to do well at the event. I can bike with the best of them, my run is ok but my swimming is going to kill me. Need to get some laps under my belt and the see where I stand,(or sink). Like I said just getting started so training is important and I guess it's one of those learn as you go things. My big concern is that I don't want to take away from my weight training. If anyone has any advice on weight training and tri training please drop me a line. Look forward to reading and learning from you all.

2004-06-06 9:45 PM
in reply to: #29621

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Today is the Day
Welcome to the board and we are glad to have you here!
2004-06-06 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

welcome back.  tri and weight training...its a give and take...what do u want out of tri'ing?  to place well? or to just finish? weights (bulk) may have to go more back-burner or at least less exercises and less weight but more reps.  u can still keep great definition but u will sacrifice some mass...endurance does not like mass.

search on the site on this...many discussions and routines others post, you probably will have to find something that works for u for your needs/goals.

good luck.

2004-06-06 11:16 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome back and welcome to BT!  Best of luck in your training!
2004-06-07 10:17 PM
in reply to: #29670

New user

Central Texas
First I just want to thank you for defending our country. Second want to congratulate you on your decision to return to Tri's. Can't really speak as a voice of experience, since my first tri isn't until next Sun. But as a fellow sucky swimmer, I can share what I have found with my swim routine. For someone that is used to upright sports like running/biking the move from horizontal to vertical is tough and I find that my feet tend to drag down. It was suggested to me to mix up my workouts with fins to help with this. Also, if your swim is open water, make sure you get some practice IN open water. It is VERY different from the pool. Hope my humble advice helps, but something tells me you will do great anyway... ;-)
2004-06-07 10:48 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
Welcome home! I just found out my cousin is going to Iraq in November.

If you check in here on a daily basis, or just stay logged on like some do, there's a great world wide club here and your sure to reach your goals. And have a few laughs along the way. (Check the "Ode to peanut butter" thread.)

Don

p.s. get a wetsuit, I bought mine this weekend and wish I had done it months ago.

Edited by rookie44 2004-06-07 10:50 PM

2004-06-07 11:43 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Scott,
Welcome home and thank you a thousand times for your service to our great country. You are much appreciated. And welcome to BT! I'll echo what Ron said about weight training and endurance athletics: Mass = Bad! I used to lift a lot and was really bulked up but over the last several years have switched over to distance running and now Tri. I still lift but I do lots of reps at low weight. This keeps your muscle definition but cuts down on the bulkiness. It also helps your endurance far more than heavy lifting does. You'll also find that biking will define your legs in a way that weights can't match. Good luck with your training and most of all, have fun!
2004-06-08 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hi! First, welcome back and thanks for your hard work over there. Second, good luck with your training! Others will have more useful training info for you, but welcome to the site!

Kelly
2004-06-08 5:45 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I also want to thank you for all your efforts over there in Iraq. We do appreciate it. !!!!!!

Good Luck with your training...

I don't have much insight regarding the weight training issue... I do know that some strength training is a good compliment to our constant aerobic training, and it aids in endurance... however, being too bulky/muscularly heavy is bound to slow you down... Triathletes, (at least the professional ones, or the ones I've seen in magazines, not the one I currently see in the mirror) are generally a very slender bunch... more stringbean than Schwarzenegger. (?!) But I don't have any definitive research regarding the pros and cons of weight training v. aerobic training to back this "theory" up... Hopefully some of the veteran "posters" here will have more info for you, and I will stop rambling on and on and on and on.... (!!!!)

Enjoy the site!

LW

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Today is the Day Rss Feed