General Discussion Triathlon Talk » post-race headache/nausea Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-07 5:10 PM

New user

Subject: post-race headache/nausea
Many times after a race, about 1-2 hours after finishing, I develop a major headache and become sensitive to light, noise, etc. If I can't get my contacts out and go to sleep, I will become sick (vomiting). I tend to attribute this to my contacts, which I only wear during races- I don't care for them but I need to be able to see during the race! I plan to try a race (sprint) without the contacts later this summer but I wonder if there is anything else that could be causing this problem? Do other people out there have a similar situation?

I feel like I'm hydrating enough, so I don't think that's the issue. Any advice?

2006-05-07 7:57 PM
in reply to: #417038

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: post-race headache/nausea
I had problems with that last year. It could possibly be related to a lack of electrolytes. Maybe try some Gatorade after racing and see what happens- that seemed to help me. Also, do you have allergies- like to pollen? That could also have something to do with it.
If drinking Gatorade or something else doesn't help, then it might be time to talk to your doctor as it could be a more serious headache problem (like it could be migraines that you are getting).
2006-05-09 9:52 PM
in reply to: #417038

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: post-race headache/nausea
I very rarely get headaches..but almost do every day after a race. I think it is electrolytes or dehydration issue. I try hard to drink a lot of water the day before the race to be well hydrated and I have a fuel plan for what and how much to drink. I usually end up a little low but drink a ton afterwards ...had a headache Sunday after my race. I don't wear contacts/glasses so I can eliminate that as a cause for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » post-race headache/nausea Rss Feed