General Discussion Triathlon Talk » General questions for a tri-newbie... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-07 10:20 PM

New user

Upland CA
Subject: General questions for a tri-newbie...
I am overweight but have been on a fitness plan for 3 months and have lost alot of weight (63 pounds). I want to continue my new love for fitness by doing a sprint triathlon... my goal is April 2007. I will have a bunch of questions over the next 11 months and am glad there is a great site like this to help newbies like me. I have general questions that I am hoping some of you an help me with...

1) I was a varsity swimmer in high school so alot of the techniques come naturally but it has been 18 years since then. I know I need to focus on form because swimming is an art. I have read a few articles on swimming technique but does anyone have any rerouces outside of this site that can help my with my form? I now I am at the beginning stages and this is the best time to get it down right.

2) I do not own a bike yet (will get one in the next few months or so) so I am riding the cycling machine at my gym. I just started a few days ago and currently ride 15 minutes on level1 (flat ground/no hills). Is it better to continue on level 1 and build in the endurance by going more minutes over the next few months or should I go up to high levels (adding hills, etc) tobuild strength in my legs and ride for shorter time periods?

3) I have lost a bunch of weight but I am still 312 pounds. Running is relly not a good option at this time becuase of injuried to my knees/ankles. I am currently walking around my neighborhood at a speed of about 3MPH for 25-30 minutes. A similar question as the last one, should I increase my time to build endurance or walk faster for shorter periods? Also, the most important question... what is a good weight goal for me to reach before I start a "couch to 5K" running program? I want to start running as soon as possible but dont want to get hurt in the process.

Thanks so much for you help... Ernest

2006-05-07 11:13 PM
in reply to: #417221

User image

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: General questions for a tri-newbie...
First off, congratulations on what you have accomplished so far, that’s amazing! I too am a tri newbie, but have been a swimmer for probably as long as I have been walking, so though there is a tiny bit of knowledge in what I have to say, it is by no means tri specific.

As for resources outside of this site on swimming, I am not too familiar. You are right that this is the time to get down technique, and the best way I can think to do that is with finding a masters swimming program in your area and having a knowledgeable coach help you out… there really is no substitute for a talented coach.

As for the bike and run I am out of my element but here are some thoughts. From my background I have found building a base is more important that actually trying to build speed (at least right off the bat) the speed will come with time and training anyhow. As for building a base, be careful and don’t do too much all at once, most things I have read suggest no bigger than a 10% jump per week, otherwise you run the risk of injury.

Since running does take a toll on the shins, ankles and knees, be careful with it, if you feel good with you walking keep it up! I would suggest keeping with the swimming and biking (especially because you have a swimming background) to help you continue to lose weight as this will make the transition to running even easier.

I wish you all the best, Aaron
2006-05-08 7:14 AM

User image

Youngstown, Ohio
I don't know how everyone feels about it but Total Immersion has been helping me immensely with swimming.  Great job with the weight loss and keep up the good work.
2006-05-08 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Way to go Ernest!

Talk to your doctor about what would be the best strategy for you. He should know you far better than us complete strangers Welcome to BT anyways!

From the materials I've read, you should work to increase the duration of your activities. For the heart, 30 minutes a day and spread into whatever size chunks works for you (10,10,10 for example) is the goal. For metabolism/weight loss, you want the 30 minutes as a single block because the first 20 minutes or so are drawing down blood sugars (glycogen?) for energy and it isn't until after that you start converting stored fat energy.

Definitely go slow increasing both duration and intensity. I was going to suggest doing a tri this year, but then I read the rest of your post. Working towards a tri early next year is great. If you get a chance this year, volunteer for a local tri and go cheer on some participants!
2006-05-08 9:01 AM
in reply to: #417327

Elite
Laurium, MI

1.  Total immersion is great.  The link in my sig also has the drills I found most usefull for learning to swim.  Side kicks and catch drills made all the difference in the world for my stroke.

2. I have never found a stationary bike to be close enough to a real bike to really correlate resistance to road feel.  I would personally work on longer easier ride focusing on keeping your cadence somewhat high.  Probably above 60.  Just keep your feet moving fairly quickly and don't pedal super slow on high resistance.  You could probably increase the resistance until you hit that point of not being comfortable, but I would stop there and not push it super hard.

3. Like was mentioned, I would keep walking longer.  The key to aerobic endurance and fat burning is long periods at low(ish) heart rates.  After that 30 min when your body's blood glucose levels start to fall, it will start to metabolize fat to replentish them.  The longer you walk, the more fat is metabolized.  If you push your HR a little higher, you are doing more work and burning those calories faster, so you start metabolizing fat sooner and at a higher rate.  This keeps speeding up with increasing effort until you hit about 90% of your LT.  Then you start burning more glycogen (a substance stored in your muscles) and less fat.  So anyway, you burn the most fat right under this point.  As long as you are working at a level that you feel like you could hold for hours, then you are staying aerobic and don't have to worry.  Just remember that pushing it past that point, to the relm where you can only sustain for a few minutes and it's not fun, is not getting you closer to your goal.  Since you won't be elevating your HR very much at all walking, you could incorperate elipical machine and pool running into your schedule, which allow you to up the intensity a touch without increasing the impact on your joints.

anyway.  Good job and good luck!

2006-05-08 11:08 AM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Vortmax's post really lays out a great strategy for you.

A couple of people above give you the best strategy to build endurance and lose fat. After you've increased your strength/endurance somewhat and are ready to work at higher levels of intensity, you can do that in intervals. For example, when people first start running (and yes your doc probably can give you the best idea when), it sometimes works to walk 5 minutes, jog 1 minute, walk 5, jog 1. Gradually over time you reduce the "walk" and add more "run" minutes. Same principals apply to biking at higher intensities.

And the bike machine at they gym is good for overall fitness and conditioning. When you get your bike, you'll discover that only riding the bike itself will strengthen the particular muscles you use on your bike. A lot of folks here work with a bike trainer, which is a type of stand to turn your regular bike into a stationary bike while you're at home. That's one option.

The most important thing is what you've already done though - starting the journey, and making fitness a habit in your life! You have almost a year to build toward your goal, so just keep doing what you can for now. Congratulations on your progress so far, and welcome to BT!

2006-05-09 10:45 AM

New user

Upland CA
Thank you all for the great tips! It sounds like my main goal should be to build endurance and lose the weight. I was able to swim 28 minutes of 50's the other day swimming 1 lap freestyle, concentrating on form then 1 lap breast stroke, to try and help tone the back and shoulder muscles. I rested about 20 seconds in between each 50. I got on the bike then went 15 minutes. I will try and work these up as I progress. I do have a few questions based on some of the posts:

1) I would personally work on longer easier ride focusing on keeping your cadence somewhat high. Probably above 60.

I am not sure what cadence is. Sorry... a new term for me. Can someone please explain?

2) If you push your HR a little higher, you are doing more work and burning those calories faster, so you start metabolizing fat sooner and at a higher rate. This keeps speeding up with increasing effort until you hit about 90% of your LT.

I have bought a Reebok heart rate watch on E-Bay so it should be coming soon. From what I understand, I should push my heart rate a little higher to burn more calories. I currently do 3 MPH for 30 minutes. Where can I find out what my target heart rate would be? What is LT of the "90% of you LT" quote?

3) What is Total immersion swimming? I have read alot of articles about form but have never seen this term.

Thanks again for all the help... Ernest
2006-05-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: #418736

Elite
Laurium, MI

1) Cadence is how fast you spin the pedals.  So a cadence of 60 means you spin the pedals 60 times every minute.  That would mean one complete revolution every second.  If the bike doesn't tell you cadence, just count how many times your right foot passes a certain point (say the top of the stroke) over 10 seconds and multiply that number by 6.  Once you do it a few times, you'll get a feeling for what 60 rpm feels like and you won't have to count any more.  In my experience I have found that it is easier to raise HR by increasing cadence then by upping resistance.

2) LT refers to Lactate Threshold, which one would figure out through testing.  Maybe one of the coaches will chime in on this one, but since the LT test is very strenuous and geared towards people who are already strong runners, I would say your best course of action would be to esptimate your Zone 3.

In zone 1 and 2, you should feel comfortable.  Like you could keep running for a long time.  You can hold a conversation.  As talking becomes more difficult, you are reaching the top of zone 2.  Zone 2 stops and zone 3 begins at the point that conversation becomes hard enough that you don't want to do it.  You will also start to feel uncomfortable and like you are pushing the envelope.  You should just start to feel uncomfortable, but still be able to maintain the pace without too much difficulty.  Figure out what HR that is and set that as the top of zone 2.  If you want to find the bottom of zone 2/top of zone one, multiply that number by .93.  Those numbers won't be as accurate as actual testing, but they will defineatly give you a solid range to be targeting.  With that method, I would stay in the middle of zone 2 for most of your workouts. Use zone 1 for days you are recovering (so the day or so after a longer ride/run) or for days that you are increasing the distance you are going.  Does that make more sense?  If you want to use this on the bike as well, then repeat the test on the bike.  Your bike HR will typically be 8 or 9 BPM lower then running.

3) total immersion swimming is a teaching program.  They offer books, videos and drill cards.  Their aim is to help you build balance and form in the water.  This is their website: http://www.totalimmersion.net If you want to start working on stuff now, look at the second link in my sig.  There are a few drill in there that are pretty much identical to the TI stuff. 

Edited by vortmax 2006-05-09 11:17 AM
2006-05-09 11:26 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
It looks like you're covered as far as answers to your questions go, but I wanted to chime in and congratulate you on the journey you've started. The weight loss you've already acheived is fantastic. Keep your eyes on your sprint distance goal and you'll see even more pounds drop off. Good luck!
2006-05-09 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
You've got lots of thoughtful responses, and I can't add a thing, except to say congratulations!

OK, I can't resist - You really can do this. I started in September at age 40 with the couch to 5k program, after a longish nicotine habit, and by the end of the year made it about 25 minutes at a slow jog. When you do start the run, do it as mentioned above - going for 30 minutes at least each time, walking all of it to start, and the next week, jog one minute in 10 or something that seems small - it isn't. Just take it slow, like they said - and increase according to the program.

This site will keep you learning, and listening to your body.

Keep us posted how you are doing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » General questions for a tri-newbie... Rss Feed