General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pro Tip - Cold Hands While Riding Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-17 2:00 PM

User image

NC
Subject: Pro Tip - Cold Hands While Riding

OK, maybe not pro, but certainly cheap and effective.  This past Sat. was going to be about 27F at ride time (yeah, yeah, I know - some of you would be out in shorts and a t-shirt).  Anyway, I got some heavier gloves than I had before, but they were only rated to about 40F.  I thought I would be fine.  After riding 4-5 miles to the shop, it was clear that I would not be.  The guy I bought the new gloves from said he once used exam gloves under his mid-weight gloves for added protection.  So, as I'm thawing out my frozen fingers, I get some nitrile gloves from the shop and carry on.  Worked like a charm.  Windproof and they certainly retain the heat, especially the sweat.  I don't know if this would cause your hands to fall off if you tried it for much longer than two hours, but it did work for that long.  So, absent advice suggesting this is ridiculously foolish or unhealthy, if you have a cold snap and don't want to spring for the $60 big thick gloves, try some cheap disposable exam gloves under your mid-weight gloves.  Just be sure you're ready for the waterworks when you take them off.

Also, thank you to DanielG for the rec on the PI Softshell jacket.  That thing is awesome.

Edited by Goosedog 2012-01-17 2:30 PM

2012-01-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3995478

User image

Subject: RE: Pro Tip - Cold Hands While Riding
Goosedog - 2012-01-17 3:00 PM

Also, thank you to DanielG for the rec on the PI Softshell jacket.  That thing is awesome.

No problem. I avoided it forever until I got a gift certificate which brought the price down below an Air Force toilet seat and after I wore it a couple times I went and got another. Enjoy!
2012-01-17 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3995478

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga
Subject: RE: Pro Tip - Cold Hands While Riding
cool idea. but sounds like if you do it to much you would get jungle rot on your hands. lol
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pro Tip - Cold Hands While Riding Rss Feed