General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bayshore 70.4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-19 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
Subject: Bayshore 70.4

Anyone done this?  Looks like a cool little local race.  I just submitted my info to them to sign up.

www.bayshoretriathlon.com

Edited by Panda_Jack 2012-01-19 10:51 AM

2012-01-19 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3999492

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Subject: RE: Bayshore 70.4
If it were a little later in the season I'd consider signing up, unfortunately the date may conflict with something else I'm possibly doing but I'll know for sure in coming weeks. That's pretty local too, and a great price. I noticed LB Tri is a sponsor, maybe check with Chris or Charles to see if they have any input?

Edited by Rancid13 2012-01-19 11:14 AM
2012-01-19 3:40 PM

User image

Interesting, had never heard of it.   Looks like it's a SGRT ride, which we do often.  Not really sure I'd want to be in "race mode" on the bike path in many areas.  Let's see, last time we rode (week before last), we had a water crossing under the first overpass, a bum throwing things from the side of the path, loose dogs, etc etc...    

But it's a fun concept.

Edited by ChrisM 2012-01-19 3:41 PM
2012-01-20 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4000187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
ChrisM - 2012-01-19 3:40 PM

Interesting, had never heard of it.   Looks like it's a SGRT ride, which we do often.  Not really sure I'd want to be in "race mode" on the bike path in many areas.  Let's see, last time we rode (week before last), we had a water crossing under the first overpass, a bum throwing things from the side of the path, loose dogs, etc etc...    

But it's a fun concept.

lol, yeah, no thanks.  Could be one of the ugliest rides on the planet. 

2012-02-03 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine
I'm doing it! May not be a scenic ride, but hard to beat a $50 fee for an early season 1/2 IM to get a gauge on things....low key, small group. Sounds like a fun local grassroots event. The swim and run look interesting, just that bike on the path....at least traffic won't be an issue! I think they have a few spots left...
2012-02-17 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine

I rode the bike course about 2 weeks ago, not good, but not terrible. A little "twisty" getting from where I think the transition will be to the bike path, tough to get much speed going until you hit the path. A few places you'll have to watch for traffic.

Once on the path there is a little water to ride through (maybe 2 to 3 inches for about 10 feet) within the first 1/2 mile or so of the bike path (you'll hit it again near the end.) Parts of the path were a bit rough (good training ground for the Full Vineman that I'm doing in July!), parts were very smooth. I did it on a Sunday morning, fair amount of "traffic" = other cyclists, walkers, joggers, etc. A few of the underpasses were dark and narrow, so be careful. There is one spot, at about mile 22 or 23 where you go under an underpass and the path does a very sharp 180 to your right to exit onto the road....very short but steep uphill for about 15 feet to get to the street level, through a gate. You go over the bridge in the bike lane and reenter the bike path on the other side....BE CAREFUL with this turnaround. I was not expecting it and nearly crashed! Drop down to an easy gear prior to that 180 and don't follow anyone too closely at that point.

Slight uphill on the way out, slight downhill on the way back. My Garmin 310XT recorded a total gain of about 1030 feet, peak is just under 300 feet so a bunch of little "ups and downs" along the way. 

If you can ride the course prior to the event, I'd strongly recommend it!

Good luck to everyone, see you there!

- Oliver

2012-02-17 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4053759

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
obohlman - 2012-02-17 2:20 PM

I rode the bike course about 2 weeks ago, not good, but not terrible. A little "twisty" getting from where I think the transition will be to the bike path, tough to get much speed going until you hit the path. A few places you'll have to watch for traffic.

Once on the path there is a little water to ride through (maybe 2 to 3 inches for about 10 feet) within the first 1/2 mile or so of the bike path (you'll hit it again near the end.) Parts of the path were a bit rough (good training ground for the Full Vineman that I'm doing in July!), parts were very smooth. I did it on a Sunday morning, fair amount of "traffic" = other cyclists, walkers, joggers, etc. A few of the underpasses were dark and narrow, so be careful. There is one spot, at about mile 22 or 23 where you go under an underpass and the path does a very sharp 180 to your right to exit onto the road....very short but steep uphill for about 15 feet to get to the street level, through a gate. You go over the bridge in the bike lane and reenter the bike path on the other side....BE CAREFUL with this turnaround. I was not expecting it and nearly crashed! Drop down to an easy gear prior to that 180 and don't follow anyone too closely at that point.

Slight uphill on the way out, slight downhill on the way back. My Garmin 310XT recorded a total gain of about 1030 feet, peak is just under 300 feet so a bunch of little "ups and downs" along the way. 

If you can ride the course prior to the event, I'd strongly recommend it!

Good luck to everyone, see you there!

- Oliver

Depending on the state of the tide, the wet spot you mentioned can be anything from bone dry (normal) to a foot or so of salt water.  If it's deep on race day you may be better off exiting the bike path, crossing the road and getting back on the path on the other side.  Or you can probably carry your bike across the rocks under the underpass.

Also remember that when you come to the pedestrian/bike bridge at the fork of the river you have to cross it to stay on SGRT.  Otherwise you're in for a long detour on Coyote Creek trail.  I imagine they'll have that marked on race day.

2012-03-17 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA

So how was this race, anyone have any comments or opinions, just wondering if I should add it to next years plan since its in my backyard.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bayshore 70.4 Rss Feed