General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pinched Nerve ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-09 1:57 PM

Regular
Subject: Pinched Nerve ?
Hi,

I just found out that I probably have a pinched nerve in my neck and that's what has been causing my arm numbness. I will have an MRI Thursday and know for sure the beginning of next week.

Does anyone else have this and what have you done? My tri season is over this year and I'm just looking for some hope. The doc said if I do have a pinched nerve doing the crawl is probably out.

My goals had been IMCDA this year so any words of encouragement or advice would be most appreciated.

Happy training to all!

Kendra

2006-05-09 2:15 PM
in reply to: #419002

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Pinched Nerve ?

A second opinion.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't know anything about your symptoms, so it's hard to tell.

I would recommend finding a sports medicine doctor that practices Active Release Therapy (ART).  I go to one semi-regularly, and have also gone to General Practioner.  I had an issue with my back/neck to where I couldn't move.  GP gave me muscle relaxants and told me to do nothing.  ART doctor gave me a different diagnosis and treatment regimine.  I raced an olympic distance tri 10 days later.  ( Your mileage may vary, don't try this at home, etc. )

So, before you write the season off, get a second opinion, and work with an ART doctor if you can.

http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp 

-Chris 

2006-05-09 2:37 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I agree with coredump, look for a sports med doctor.  Not sure where the pinched nerve is and i'm one of the biggest haters on here, but if you can find a good chiropractor, that may help.  ART is great and could help you get back you season as well.
2006-05-09 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Second opinions are good. I'd also try some acupuncture. You'd be amazed what it can do.
2006-05-09 3:26 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA

Jeter2 - 2006-05-09 11:57 AM Hi, I just found out that I probably have a pinched nerve in my neck and that's what has been causing my arm numbness. I will have an MRI Thursday and know for sure the beginning of next week. Does anyone else have this and what have you done? 

I have two protruding discs in my neck that sometimes cause numbness down my right arm and into my fingertips and create the sensation of something being pinched in my neck.  It also causes lots of pain and stiffness in my neck.  Very difficult to sleep as a result.  I had an MRI last year and the neurologist didn't think it was terribly serious (or warranting surgery), although it's all more of an annoyance to me than anything else.  My doctor recommended PT, though.

Whenever I have flareups, I make sure I stretch, and remain as active as I can without making it worse.  Massage therapy has helped a little with the pain, but the pain associated with the discs typically goes away on its own - usually after 2-3 weeks.  Not sure what to do to prevent the flare-ups because something as simple as turning my head to one side can aggrivate it.

2006-05-09 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
I had this in my arms and feet last season two weeks before my 15 hour adventure race.. great timing. But I went to my friends sister who is a chiropractor and she did about three adjustmetns to me in those two weeks, told me to ice alot and dont move alot. I was good to go by adventure race day, though i had lost the last two weeks of training, and everyone was a little worried. but I made it through though. I thought about going to the doctor, but i knew that they would just give me a shot of muscle relaxer. And since the chiropractor knew what i was training for, my lifestyle, etc, it was easier to get a good opinion, so i second going to someone who understands what you are doing. and good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pinched Nerve ? Rss Feed