General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Training BT Training Program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-29 8:05 PM

User image

Subject: HIM Training BT Training Program

I am going to be attempting my first HIM Racine 70.3 on July 15 and will be following the BT training program and have a few questions on the language/terms they use. Thought Id ask these now before the I start following the plan in a few weeks so I can jump right in. For instance here is day 1:

1:00 hr bike

Bike Hill Repeats

Strength (what does this mean?)

70 (and this?)

WU: 15'

MS: Then 10x2' up a hill at 65-70 RPMS (?) (cadence?) Recover on the downhills.

HR on the uphills can hit Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise.

CD: 15'

I understand most of it but confused with some. Also how do you figure out your heart rate to know what zone your in. I hope to get the Garmin 310xt with heart strap just waiting to see if the prices drop sometime since the release of the 910.

Thanks for any help!

2012-01-29 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4017645

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: HIM Training BT Training Program
ddahms - 2012-01-29 6:05 PM

I am going to be attempting my first HIM Racine 70.3 on July 15 and will be following the BT training program and have a few questions on the language/terms they use. Thought Id ask these now before the I start following the plan in a few weeks so I can jump right in. For instance here is day 1:

1:00 hr bike

Bike Hill Repeats

Strength (what does this mean?)

70 (and this?)

WU: 15'

MS: Then 10x2' up a hill at 65-70 RPMS (?) (cadence?) Recover on the downhills.

HR on the uphills can hit Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise.

CD: 15'

I understand most of it but confused with some. Also how do you figure out your heart rate to know what zone your in. I hope to get the Garmin 310xt with heart strap just waiting to see if the prices drop sometime since the release of the 910.

Thanks for any help!

The HIM program you picked is the harder program (at least that's what I can see), if you want something a little more forgiving, look at Beginner 1/2 Ironman instead.

Strength means you'll gain strength in your bike. There's strength, muscular endurance, speed, etc. So it's just telling you the specific training you will be doing for the bike.

70 is the number of Minutes. For some reason it doesn't match up with the 1 hr bike. So Just follow the set workout. 

RPM - Revolutions per Minutes - yes, it's cadence. :-)

You should do the LT test to test your HR Zone.  I think there's an LT test in one or two weeks after the first day. But honestly, if it's hard, and you feel it's too much, look at the Beginner 1/2 Ironman...I find it more doable. :-)

Good luck!

2012-01-29 10:43 PM

User image

in a van, down by the river
ddahms - 2012-01-29 9:05 PM

I am going to be attempting my first HIM Racine 70.3 on July 15 and will be following the BT training program and have a few questions on the language/terms they use. Thought Id ask these now before the I start following the plan in a few weeks so I can jump right in. 

As mentioned above there is a *beginner* 1/2 ironman training plan which is easy to understand and not as sophisticated as what you describe above.

There are a bunch of us who have recently started the plan (today is day 21 for me) and we all compare notes.  There is an active discussion about it, come join us in  forums----> iron distance---->BT Beginner 1/2 iron plan---->page 126 (as of this writing).  Hope to see you there !

2012-01-29 10:44 PM
in reply to: #4017897

User image

in a van, down by the river
2012-01-30 11:06 AM

User image

Thanks for the responses! I will check into the other program as well but harder the more prepared I should be .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Training BT Training Program Rss Feed