General Discussion Triathlon Talk » question on 3rd scheduled run per week and recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-09 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: question on 3rd scheduled run per week and recovery
Hi there
2 questions but I think they are linked. I am training for my first OLY and have got to the stage where I am thinking about my training rather than blindly following what it says for mins in my training plan....mainly cos I have been reading Joe Friels training bible and understanding that each training session has to have a point to it.

Anyway, my question relates to running (but could just as easily relate to cycling). I have 3 runs scheduled each week, a short, medium and long run. I see the point of the long run for endurance and the short run for working maybe on speed/ strength but what is the point of a third (or fouth.....etc ) run for the week? Reading Friels book it says that often complete rest rather than light workouts results in quicker recovery for inexperienced athletes (that's me) so it can't be that.

I know I am missing something obvious here so please help me out.

Thanks
Jackie

2006-05-09 6:46 PM
in reply to: #419304

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: question on 3rd scheduled run per week and recovery
jackjack - 2006-05-09 3:14 PM

Hi there
2 questions but I think they are linked. I am training for my first OLY and have got to the stage where I am thinking about my training rather than blindly following what it says for mins in my training plan....mainly cos I have been reading Joe Friels training bible and understanding that each training session has to have a point to it.

Anyway, my question relates to running (but could just as easily relate to cycling). I have 3 runs scheduled each week, a short, medium and long run. I see the point of the long run for endurance and the short run for working maybe on speed/ strength but what is the point of a third (or fouth.....etc ) run for the week? Reading Friels book it says that often complete rest rather than light workouts results in quicker recovery for inexperienced athletes (that's me) so it can't be that.

I know I am missing something obvious here so please help me out.

Thanks
Jackie

Could be form (cadence, stride, etc), speed (fartleks or similar), or simply cementing your LSD gains.

2006-05-10 1:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
medium runs are often 'tempo' runs...these are the payoff runs...run at a decent clip, for an semi extended distance...they help you maintain pace deep into your run on race day...
2006-05-10 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
Hi,

I also do 3 runs a week. 1 long for endurance, 1 interval traning session (the short run for me) and one medium where I do tempo work or cross country runs.
2006-05-10 8:15 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Frequency is important.  It will be difficult to make significant progress running only 2x/wk (you'll make some, especially starting out).  As an inexperienced athlete, every workut is going to help you build your base so there's your "purpose".  But every time you run, your muscles and body will learn to adapt.
2006-05-10 8:35 AM
in reply to: #419610

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
thank you for your replies.
I think I was assuming strength/ speed (eg hills or intervals) were in the same category as tempo and so should be done on my short run once a week
I am just moving from pure endurance so will try and do my middle run as a tempo run

Jackie

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » question on 3rd scheduled run per week and recovery Rss Feed