General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit...... I'm not cheap, I'm just on a budget Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-30 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Subject: Wetsuit...... I'm not cheap, I'm just on a budget

Hello, here's my first question of many I'm sure.

My first race will be the HITS sprint in Ocala, Fl in March.  Water temps are predicted to be hovering around 60F (according to posts on this site).  Prudence would dictate that I should have a wetsuit for the event, however my budget is shot.  I do own a short leg, long sleeve scuba wetsuit.  I know that tri suits are built specifically to swim in, but do you think I could make it do for a race?  My wife has been supportive of me getting a road bike, moving my gym membership to a gym with a pool (more expensive), and the increased training schedule, but I also know I have asked a lot on a sport I haven't raced in yet.  I'm going to a tri clinic this weekend and I'm going to go for a swim in it to see how it feels.

Actually I guess I have another option.  The suit also has a long pant bib part.  It's a two piece set for cool and cold water.  The long pant piece would leave my shoulders free.

My next planned race is in May when water temps should be rising.  What do you think guys?  I don't want to be laughed off of the course or set myself up for trouble, but I'm in a bit of a spot.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

Thanks.

2012-01-30 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4019749

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove,MN
Subject: RE: Wetsuit...... I'm not cheap, I'm just on a budget
I have a xterra wetsuit, you can get one for under 150$. I think the scuba one will be hard to get the movement you would want in a race. You could try and practice in it to see how it goes.
2012-01-30 10:31 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

I suggest you rent one.  Wetsuitrental out of Washington State is one I have used.  Can order it on line or call directly.  Other major Tri stores or wetsuit dealers also rent them as well.  Allows you to try it out.  I used to rent them for colder waters swims as I only had a sleeveless until recently when I just pruchased a full wetsuit.  I believe the price of your rental goes toward the cost if you puchase one from them as well.  If you are on a budget it might be worth it for your first wetsuit to get a used one.  The ones I have rented have been in pretty good shape.

http://www.wetsuitrental.com/

2012-01-31 7:37 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
It is your first race, and it is a sprint so you won't be in the water long. I would say use what you have and have fun.
2012-01-31 10:43 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Fokker416 - 2012-01-30 9:42 PM

Hello, here's my first question of many I'm sure.

My first race will be the HITS sprint in Ocala, Fl in March.  Water temps are predicted to be hovering around 60F (according to posts on this site).  Prudence would dictate that I should have a wetsuit for the event, however my budget is shot.  I do own a short leg, long sleeve scuba wetsuit.  I know that tri suits are built specifically to swim in, but do you think I could make it do for a race?  My wife has been supportive of me getting a road bike, moving my gym membership to a gym with a pool (more expensive), and the increased training schedule, but I also know I have asked a lot on a sport I haven't raced in yet.  I'm going to a tri clinic this weekend and I'm going to go for a swim in it to see how it feels.

Actually I guess I have another option.  The suit also has a long pant bib part.  It's a two piece set for cool and cold water.  The long pant piece would leave my shoulders free.

My next planned race is in May when water temps should be rising.  What do you think guys?  I don't want to be laughed off of the course or set myself up for trouble, but I'm in a bit of a spot.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

Thanks.

From everything I've heard around the forums the wetsuits made for diving/surfing aren't the greatest things to try and swim in.  They supposedly rub the hell out of you in places.

I'll second wetsuitrental.com I used them for my first wetsuit legal race and their customer service was awesome.  If you like the suit and want to buy it they give you a good discount on it.  If not then just put it back in the box and return.

2012-01-31 2:11 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit...... I'm not cheap, I'm just on a budget Rss Feed